Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I spend £5 a month on Fuel, £10 a month on gas, £100 a month on licenses and insurance and £50 a month on maintenance and £20 a month on WiFi, water is included in my license ... I live on a narrow boat :)

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Meh

Chatty Member
It’s absolutely sickening to see how much you folks have to budget for water 😳 Privatisation of the water industry surely has to be the worst of the sectors to be privatised. I would die of shock if I moved to England and feeling very fortunate to be in Scotland!

Reactions: 7

Sosig

Chatty Member
I pay around £700 on bills.

That’s rent, council tax, gas, electric, water, phone bill, virgin media, tv licence.

Spend about £30 a week on food shopping.

Obviously it’ll depend on where in the UK you are rent wise. I’m in Liverpool so my rent is £350 for a two bedroom house.

• Wow
Reactions: 5

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Aww thanks! Good luck to you too. I’m still really undecided as I’m worried if I start renting I won’t be able to buy 🙁 I have a 4 year old son so I’m just ready for our own space, such a tricky decision
could you look at applying for a council/local authority property rather than a private rent? Would maybe be cheaper rent??

Reactions: 2

LT31514

Not in the U.K. but thought it’s be interesting for comparison (I am British so still work things out in £s).
Mortgage £520
Water £16
Gas £7
Electric £16
TV £40
Utility bills are crazy cheap here where I live (Belgium) and we don’t have council tax 🙌🏻 However we are taxed everywhere else.

openbook1

VIP Member
I spend £5 a month on Fuel, £10 a month on gas, £100 a month on licenses and insurance and £50 a month on maintenance and £20 a month on WiFi, water is included in my license ... I live on a narrow boat :)
wait... I know someone that lives on a narrowboat and I am wondering if you are them as it is not common. LOL.

• Haha

JD-Morgan

Council tax - £110 (Water included as I’m in Scotland)
Gas and electricity - £80
Food shopping - £200
Sky tv and broadband - £80 (full tv package with an additional box in my bedroom and high speed broadband, but I am on a deal currently and get 60% off)

I live with my partner so you would get the single occupancy benefit with your council tax and food shopping would also be less

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
I just worked out what we pay for rent/council tax/water/electric and internet and it’s around £1225 a month between the 2 of us. That doesn’t include my phone bill which I think is £60 a month. Out of all our bills (excluding council tax) water is the highest which seems mad to me.

On top of that spend around £30-40 a week on food, probably £15 on petrol (we have one car). Then we have Netflix, amazon prime and Spotify - we don’t have sky or virgin TV as we never used it!

Reactions: 1

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
It amazes me the difference in locations! We live in the south east in a 3 bed.

Mortgage £860 (our one bed flat rent was £875!)
Council tax £160
Water £30
Electric and gas £70
Sky £70
Home insurance £25
Life insurance £20
Tv license £15

Jc456

VIP Member
Council tax £1729 a year
Water £60 a month
Gas and electricity £70
Phone line and internet (no calls included) £29
Netflix £5.99
Tv licence around £13/14
Food £50-60 a week

I'm in Devon and it's me and my 2 children

Lynseyp

VIP Member
I live in Devon with husband and 3 children.

We pay (per month)

£85 Water (South West Water have extortionate water charges)
£30 Gas
£50 Electric,
£129 Council tax (Band B)
£336 Rent
£107 Mobile Phone, Broadband and Home Phone
£300 Food but have been stocking up more since lockdown. I work in a supermarket so at times I do get cheap or free food.
£43 Sky (managed to negotiate price and Sky was very helpful)
£13 Tv licence
£18 Home Insurance
£30 Insurance for White goods
£140 Petrol

Don't be afraid to haggle, go on https://www.comparethemarket.com for Utility and Insurances.

Binwal21

Between my partner and I we pay:

Mortgage - £980
Gas/electric - £80
Council tax - £225 (in Manchester where it’s crazy expensive for some reason 😭)
Water - £54
Sky/internet - £65
Life insurance - £36
Home insurance - £20
Food shopping - £450 - £600 (which I know is a lot!)

So around £1400 without weekly shopping, which now seems a lot compared to some on here! X

• Wow

Peakyblinders

VIP Member
I live on my own and per month I pay

Mortgage - £330
TV - £13
Gas/Electric - £38
Life insurance - £22
Sky - £49
Council Tax - £78
Home insurance - £29
Netflix - £9

I pay water quarterly and my food bill depends really but I dont ever go without I get all fresh stuff and lots of wine haha.

aimzalicious

VIP Member
I'm in Manchester, my electric/water/council tax/wifi/phone bills in total are around £200-250 in total depending on whether it's winter or summer. I'm on an all electric energy plan so it goes up in winter because the heating is on more. Council tax is so ridiculously expensive here in Manchester and makes up almost half of my total bills! I don't know why because when I lived in London, bills seems really cheap compared to the extortionate rent.

Food is about £20-30 a week, depends what I'm cooking.

I'm actually the opposite to you - I'm planning to move back in with my parents to start saving properly to buy a house as a single applicant. Good luck with your future move! :)

Eastonell

Just for one person my bills are:

Rent - £425
Council Tax - £85
Internet - £24.33
Water - £24.59
Gas/Elec - £39
TV Licence - £25.75

I do a big shop every month which is like £50ish then pick up little bits like fresh food each week, I only go to Aldi for this because it’s so much cheaper!

Also remember you get single person discount on Council Tax!

Not in the U.K. but thought it’s be interesting for comparison (I am British so still work things out in £s).
Mortgage £520
Water £16
Gas £7
Electric £16
TV £40
Utility bills are crazy cheap here where I live (Belgium) and we don’t have council tax 🙌🏻 However we are taxed everywhere else.
£7 for gas oh my god, the dream!!

Tor88

I’m in Wales

£750ish between us a month just for bills:-
£360 mortgage
£25 home insurance
£40 water
£15 TV license
£55 sky internet and tv
£80-100 for gas and electric
£145council tax

I’ve noticed our good shops gone up since lockdown and can be between £300-£400 a month. Plus our personal bills like phones car etc

Emsie

VIP Member
Council tax £110 (you will get single person discount of 25%) paid over 10 months
Gas and electric £96
Water £37 paid over 8 months
TV licence £12
Internet / TV £52
Netflix and prime £14
We also have buildings and content insurance but if you rent you should only need contents insurance.
You will need to factor in food, your rent and any car costs you may have.
Good luck x