House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was also born in the 90’s. But I have worked hard and saved and have now sold my first home looking to buy my second. (On my own I might add with one income) It’s what you make of it. If you were able to do something that would make you money I’m sure you would. It just comes across as very bitter saying that landlords want to not work and have others pay their mortgage - of course, who wouldn’t want that?! I have been a student and rented. Landlords are necessary and it’s a service that wouldn’t be there but for these people able to buy a second property and rent it out to you 😊
So anyone else who was born in 90s and later and can't afford to buy a house is not working hard? That's a bit patronising to say the least, isn't it? There are lots of people who work hard in life but can't have lots of things. Someone who works at Tesco works equally hard as someone who is a CEO at a bank. Retail workers, carers, hospitality workers and lots of other people in this country are not just some lazy useless and stupid people. They all work hard but things don't have to be made harder for them to attain just because they are born in a different generation. We should leave the earth a better place then how we received it and not have the mentality that tough, work harder if you couldn't get what you wanted. I worked in retail whilst at uni and although it was a part-time job for me for a short period, it was actually a living for lots of my colleagues who worked really hard to feed their children and family but would probably not be able to afford to buy a house because the minimum wage is so out of proportion with house prices. The maths just doesn't add up?!

Also the mentality that who wouldn't want to earn money without doing anything is disgusting and greedy to say the least. You should always have to work hard to earn things. Why should anything be free?!

Reactions: 11

Yel

I think that user is just trolling.

Very toxic attitude to blame people if they can't afford to buy a house at a moment in time where it's the most difficult it's been for many decades. Working hard really doesn't pay off.

And not everyone would want to make money out of something that's exploitative and causing misery.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
So anyone else who was born in 90s and later and can't afford to buy a house is not working hard? That's a bit patronising to say the least, isn't it? There are lots of people who work hard in life but can't have lots of things. Someone who works at Tesco works equally hard as someone who is a CEO at a bank. Retail workers, carers, hospitality workers and lots of other people in this country are not just some lazy useless and stupid people. They all work hard but things don't have to be made harder for them to attain just because they are born in a different generation. We should leave the earth a better place then how we received it and not have the mentality that tough, work harder if you couldn't get what you wanted. I worked in retail whilst at uni and although it was a part-time job for me for a short period, it was actually a living for lots of my colleagues who worked really hard to feed their children and family but would probably not be able to afford to buy a house because the minimum wage is so out of proportion with house prices. The maths just doesn't add up?!

Also the mentality that who wouldn't want to earn money without doing anything is disgusting and greedy to say the least. You should always have to work hard to earn things. Why should anything be free?!
Out of curiosity, are you saying, for example, something like the lottery is wrong then? I mean, people who win millions and decide to give up work etc. Do you brand them as disgusting and greedy?

Reactions: 2
Agreed. Anyway, genuinely good luck to all landlords on Tattle.

Personally I think the next year or so is going to be enough just keeping track of my own household costs and mortgage; I absolutely wouldn’t want the extra stress of worrying about the finances and employment status of tenants as well, nor the general fluctuations of the housing market.

Reactions: 4
What world would you need to live in to think that people can’t afford to buy a home (never mind 2 or more) because they just don’t work hard enough?? There’s a demand for rental properties because of a dangerous lack of social housing coupled with the fact that people who want to buy are being priced out by greedy landlords hoovering up properties and pushing house prices up.

Reactions: 11
Out of curiosity, are you saying, for example, something like the lottery is wrong then? I mean, people who win millions and decide to give up work etc. Do you brand them as disgusting and greedy?
Lottery is once in a lifetime opportunity where 1 in a million people ever get one. There are hardly James and Charlie winning the lottery up and down the roads in council state homes. How many people do you know who have won a lottery and given up work? I don't know any! My point is that people shouldn't grow up with the mentality with finding shortcuts to obtaining things in life. There is no shortcut in life. If you want an apple, then you have to go and get one, it just doesn't fall in your lap.

Lottery is once in a lifetime opportunity where 1 in a million people ever get one. There are hardly James and Charlie winning the lottery up and down the roads in council state homes. How many people do you know who have won a lottery and given up work? I don't know any! My point is that people shouldn't grow up with the mentality with finding shortcuts to obtaining things in life. There is no shortcut in life. If you want an apple, then you have to go and get one, it just doesn't fall in your lap.
I have read of many people who have won the lottery or euro millions etc who have given up their jobs. fairly regular thing I believe.
And the lottery is exacrly what you’ve just said doesn’t exist, a shortcut in life.

But to clarify, your exact words were

so on that basis, people who win the lottery are greedy and disgusting too? As they didn’t work hard to win millions.

I feel rentals fall into the same bracket as lottery wins. If you’re lucky enough to be able to purchase one, why shouldn’t you earn money off it? it’s no different to a company making profit off essential items for example and it’s exactly the same as if you win the lottery, why shouldn’t you be able to do nothing and live off your winnings. Doesn’t make you greedy or disgusting tbh.

I have read of many people who have won the lottery or euro millions etc who have given up their jobs. fairly regular thing I believe.
And the lottery is exacrly what you’ve just said doesn’t exist, a shortcut in life.

so on that basis, people who win the lottery are greedy and disgusting too? As they didn’t work hard to win millions.

I feel rentals fall into the same bracket as lottery wins. If you’re lucky enough to be able to purchase one, why shouldn’t you earn money off it? it’s no different to a company making profit off essential items for example and it’s exactly the same as if you win the lottery, why shouldn’t you be able to do nothing and live off your winnings. Doesn’t make you greedy or disgusting tbh.
It's not exactly the same though because someone winning the lottery and having money doesn't really have a knock off effect on others?

Reactions: 1

exactly! Companies and people make profit off of others. That’s how life works I’m afraid.

Yel

I think let's draw a line leave the ethics of landlords. It's not really what this thread is about.

Some find it exploitative because it's unlike many other businesses as it's speculating on an essential service and stripping people of a choice. Landlords think they're providing a service that people should be thankful for and it's their right, all businesses make money and all that.

Let's agree to disagree.

--------------

“However, there is an expectation that this mini-boom will not last as job losses mount and finances are stretched as government support schemes are wound down.”

Looks like the amount of 90% mortgage products was 800 in March and now it's 60. Lenders do seem concerned that the future isn't ever increasing house price inflation.

I know someone in a "safe" industry that they've implemented a pay cut of 20% across the board. Airports like Gatwick and Southampton are saying crazy things like nearly all of their staff might be out of a job soon.

I think it’s greedy and disgusting that UK women have and had to pay higher tax on sanitary products. It is being lowered down from next year, but it is a Necessity like toilet paper. Oh, this greedy and disgusting government taking advantage of poor women!
Landlords don’t take advantage of people. If they did, there wouldn’t be any stories about landlords not being able to evict bad tenants, landlords having to redo the entire property after tenants and so on and so on. Also what about commercial lettings? Do landlords take advantage of poor shop keepers that then take advantage of their customers? Or is the government that is crippling businesses with business rates which means that a lot of high streets are dying?

Yel

I think it’s greedy and disgusting that UK women have and had to pay higher tax on sanitary products. It is being lowered down from next year, but it is a Necessity like toilet paper. Oh, this greedy and disgusting government taking advantage of poor women!
I'm not sure if you're being serious?

Sanitary products are 5% VAT and toilet paper is 20%. You could by a tabloid to use as toilet paper as that's VAT free. The VAT system is a tricky mess, see pringles and jaffa cakes. And the VAT on sanitary products has been around for a lot longer than the current government so can't really solely blame them.

It's not exactly the same though because someone winning the lottery and having money doesn't really have a knock off effect on others?
I disagree, but as Yel says, I don’t wanna derail the thread any further. So will respectfully agree to disagree

Landlords are only seen as necessary because there’s not enough social housing to go round for those who can’t/don’t want to buy. There was a time where private renting was quite rare and many people who didn’t own lived in council housing until it all got sold off. The government doesn’t provide enough housing for its citizens so they rely on people becoming landlords to fill that gap. I honestly think there should be some sort of test for when you become a landlord so you know all your rights and responsibilities and the risks involved. Too many people become landlords, essentially playing with other people’s lives to make a buck, and they don’t have a clue what they are doing and then complain when something happens they don’t think is fair. A lot of them also think it’s ok to provide sub standard homes, provide appliances that don’t work then refuse to fix them, and still charge the market rate whilst then making it incredibly difficult to get the deposit back when you leave (personal experience).

Reactions: 6
What happens when people buy HTB houses and then sell the house within the first 5 years? Does the scheme pass on to the new first time buyers or end there? Sorry stupid question!

What happens when people buy HTB houses and then sell the house within the first 5 years? Does the scheme pass on to the new first time buyers or end there? Sorry stupid question!
The help to buy scheme is a loan that the buyers took out, if they sell the home it needs to be repaid. The loan is a percentage rather than a set amount though.

I need to rant. My husband was doing some work on a house on a street we could potentially move to as it is in budget and fits criteria. I asked him what it was like inside but he said he didn't notice. I bet that's because he doesn't like that street. However, he wants to go for a viewing of a house that's up for auction, just to see what it's like , even though we aren't at a position to buy at auction yet.

We live in the south east and have decided to take a gamble and sold our house (it sold within 5days of being on the market) and have just had an offer accepted on a house. It will be depressing if the housing market collapses and our new house looses value but if this goes through we will be in a much nicer area and beautiful house.
Hopefully we will have nice neighbours and stay there for 10years or so which by then it should have increased in value.
my brother his girlfriend are looking to buy their first property in London and are now waiting it out. My brother has had to take a pay cut as he works in entertainment but his girlfriend is in a stable job earning an average London living wage. It’s so hard to know what to do. I do think it’s all going to slow down soon
I am also in the South East and my property sold quickly. Hoping to exchange contracts within the next week or so. If your property is priced correctly and you’re not greedy, you will get a buyer.

i think once the Stamp Duty holiday is over, the property market may slow down. For now, anyone wanting to sell/buy, now is a good time.

No it won't pass on as it's on the people that took it out, not the property so they'll have to settle it.

It's still shocking "help to buy" isn't well known for what it actually is - help to bailout the house builders and keep prices high. It's not helping the little people.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.