House Prices #5 Property market, buying and selling

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If it's been rented and doesn't have an EPC then I'm not sure I'd assume that anything else was up to date. It's a legal obligation to provide one, even if your property is already tenanted long term.

Reactions: 2
A house on my street has just sold would the agent be able to tell me how much it sold for? Its a probate sale house is empty.

@Meg78 sounds like a tricky one. If you really like it but are nervous about heating and repairs and that kind of thing then I would personally want to get a survey done before going any further. It may feel like a waste of money, but it could potentially save you from going down the route of purchasing it and then regretting it because there are fundamental issues. If any house is 100 years old or more then there will inevitably be some issues with it, but equally stuff was probably built a lot better in those days.

Also, it sounds like the property is vacant and the heating probably hasnt been used in some time so it would likely feel quite damp and cold. That doesn't mean its hard to heat, it probably just means its not been heated in a while.

It's a legal requirement for the vendor to get an EPC if they are marketing the property for sale or rent so I'd be straight on to the estate agents asking why you were able to view the house without one. Regardless of whether they think someone will just want to buy it and knock it down, its still being marketed so they have a legal obligation to get one. https://www.gov.uk/selling-a-home/e...ou must order an EPC,property to sell or rent.

Reactions: 1
A house on my street has just sold would the agent be able to tell me how much it sold for? Its a probate sale house is empty.
I think it would depend on the agent - when we had our house valued we purposefully asked the agent who had marketed a house up the road that had recently gone SSTC and he volunteered the information up straight away as a comparison (it was also a 2 bed end terrace like ours). Ultimately we got quite a bit less for ours but at least we could benchmark it and realised another valuation was OTT and unrealistic.

If the estate agent thinks that they can get you on their books by telling you then I think they probably would, it will become public info anyway via Land Registry once the sale completes and the title has been updated.

We are thinking of selling but about 5 years ago we had a bit of subsidence in the garden and a Section of patio cracked and moved. We had it pulled up, got structural engineer report who said it was nearby trees and the issue would be resolved/prevented if we maintained the trees at the height they were when the house was built. We then had a level 3 buildings survey to show the house is totally fine and no signs of subsidence.

No more issues since then. The house has never been affected, it’s just that one area of the garden. It turns out the boundary of our property goes beyond the fence and we own the hedge/trees to the side of the house so we maintain them.

The whole thing caused me so much stress at the time - it wasn’t covered by insurance as the house wasn’t affected and gardens are excluded if house isn’t affected apparently. It led to paranoia that things were going to go wrong with the house and it’s only now really with time that I know it’s fine! (I’d also just had a baby so was insanely anxious and a bit hysterical/paranoid anyway 😂).

Anyway…..we ideally want to move somewhere bigger but I am frightened of this putting people off and it causing us lots of extra stress. I don’t want to hide it from any potential buyers - but I also don’t want to advertise it!

What point do I mention it? Or don’t I because the house has never been affected? Am I worrying too much? Is it something I declare ? Or something I just answer questions about if they come up?

I’ve never sold a property so not really sure of the process of info sharing.

I think it would depend on the agent - when we had our house valued we purposefully asked the agent who had marketed a house up the road that had recently gone SSTC and he volunteered the information up straight away as a comparison (it was also a 2 bed end terrace like ours). Ultimately we got quite a bit less for ours but at least we could benchmark it and realised another valuation was OTT and unrealistic.

If the estate agent thinks that they can get you on their books by telling you then I think they probably would, it will become public info anyway via Land Registry once the sale completes and the title has been updated.
I need to get 3 valuations anyway so I might get the agent out and ask it’s worth a try 😬

@Meg78 sounds like a tricky one. If you really like it but are nervous about heating and repairs and that kind of thing then I would personally want to get a survey done before going any further. It may feel like a waste of money, but it could potentially save you from going down the route of purchasing it and then regretting it because there are fundamental issues. If any house is 100 years old or more then there will inevitably be some issues with it, but equally stuff was probably built a lot better in those days.

Also, it sounds like the property is vacant and the heating probably hasnt been used in some time so it would likely feel quite damp and cold. That doesn't mean its hard to heat, it probably just means its not been heated in a while.

It's a legal requirement for the vendor to get an EPC if they are marketing the property for sale or rent so I'd be straight on to the estate agents asking why you were able to view the house without one. Regardless of whether they think someone will just want to buy it and knock it down, its still being marketed so they have a legal obligation to get one. https://www.gov.uk/selling-a-home/energy-performance-certificates#:~:text=You must order an EPC,property to sell or rent.
Thank you, unfortunately there are two cash buyers already vying with offers to demolish the house so it looks like we may not get the chance at all 😔

• Sad
I keep seeing so many property’s being relisted under new agents for exactly the same price. Half of the time the pictures are worse than before 😆

We are thinking of selling but about 5 years ago we had a bit of subsidence in the garden and a Section of patio cracked and moved. We had it pulled up, got structural engineer report who said it was nearby trees and the issue would be resolved/prevented if we maintained the trees at the height they were when the house was built. We then had a level 3 buildings survey to show the house is totally fine and no signs of subsidence.

No more issues since then. The house has never been affected, it’s just that one area of the garden. It turns out the boundary of our property goes beyond the fence and we own the hedge/trees to the side of the house so we maintain them.

The whole thing caused me so much stress at the time - it wasn’t covered by insurance as the house wasn’t affected and gardens are excluded if house isn’t affected apparently. It led to paranoia that things were going to go wrong with the house and it’s only now really with time that I know it’s fine! (I’d also just had a baby so was insanely anxious and a bit hysterical/paranoid anyway 😂).

Anyway…..we ideally want to move somewhere bigger but I am frightened of this putting people off and it causing us lots of extra stress. I don’t want to hide it from any potential buyers - but I also don’t want to advertise it!

What point do I mention it? Or don’t I because the house has never been affected? Am I worrying too much? Is it something I declare ? Or something I just answer questions about if they come up?

I’ve never sold a property so not really sure of the process of info sharing.
There is a section of the property information form, which sellers provide, which asks about insurance and claims. It could be argued that you should mention that you tried to claim even though it wasn’t be successful - so you could reveal it there.
The buyer may have an environmental search done which could reveal it, but the enviro search is an additional, not standard, search so there’s a chance they won’t opt to have it. They may also have a survey done which could reveal it. their solicitor may also raise a standard enquiry about subsidence which of course you’d need to honestly answer - you could provide a copy of the survey you had done to evidence the house wasn’t affected.
I think it’s always a case of just being upfront and honest to avoid any misrepresentation claims in future. Obviously if you outright lie about it then you are misrepresenting.

Reactions: 2
Any advice welcome, my living situation is a little precarious at the moment. A situation happened & I’ve ‘held’ a rental flat but now I’m back peddling slightly. If I can hang on a little longer I could buy (but may not be in most desirable location etc) but it would be mine.
I’ve managed to get a mortgage in principle & if I move into the rental it will eat into my savings a little & I won’t be saving as it will be more expensive than my current situation. I haven’t signed a contract just yet (at worst I will lose £200). 😬😬
Thank you & happy Easter all! 💛

There is a section of the property information form, which sellers provide, which asks about insurance and claims. It could be argued that you should mention that you tried to claim even though it wasn’t be successful - so you could reveal it there.
The buyer may have an environmental search done which could reveal it, but the enviro search is an additional, not standard, search so there’s a chance they won’t opt to have it. They may also have a survey done which could reveal it. their solicitor may also raise a standard enquiry about subsidence which of course you’d need to honestly answer - you could provide a copy of the survey you had done to evidence the house wasn’t affected.
I think it’s always a case of just being upfront and honest to avoid any misrepresentation claims in future. Obviously if you outright lie about it then you are misrepresenting.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I definitely want to be open and honest!

When you’re selling your property why do they need to know if you’re a politically exposed person?

@whoareyouu when my sister bought her house it clearly showed the shared access to their neighbours drive and what was not included in the house sale - which for some reason in my sisters case included a 1m square parcel of land to the right of their driveway, but on their driveway. Your neighbour is just chancing his arm to make the sale more attractive!
Sorry just seen this!

The house sold. No idea who has bought it but the neighbour has been moving things out so I imagine it’s happening shortly.

I think it’s so crappy to lie to make your sale more attractive.

I just hope there’s no issues. It’s clearly marked on the drawings but you know what people are like.

• Heart