House Prices #5 Property market, buying and selling

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am currently waiting to hear if an offer has been accepted on a property I viewed last week 🤞🏽🤞🏽
It’s well under our budget which means we will have funds to do renovations pretty quick. Patiently waiting to hear some news

• Heart
Reactions: 5
First time poster on this thread but also have a nosy!

We're FTB and had an offer accepted mid March - mortgage all approved and no chain on the property we're buying as it was being used as a rental, so was empty when we viewed.

Our survey was all done and dusted about 2 weeks ago with nothing in particular to report so we are just waiting for the solicitors now I think, does anyone know how long this usually takes? Our solicitor has raised some queries which I think they are still waiting for replies on - would it be rude of me to ask the estate agent to ask the vendors solicitor where they are up to? I have no idea whether we've been waiting a long time or not with not having done this before, and I thought it would be a bit more straightforward with no chain either side! Thanks :)

We're FTB and had an offer accepted mid March - mortgage all approved and no chain on the property we're buying as it was being used as a rental, so was empty when we viewed.

Our survey was all done and dusted about 2 weeks ago with nothing in particular to report so we are just waiting for the solicitors now I think, does anyone know how long this usually takes? Our solicitor has raised some queries which I think they are still waiting for replies on - would it be rude of me to ask the estate agent to ask the vendors solicitor where they are up to? I have no idea whether we've been waiting a long time or not with not having done this before, and I thought it would be a bit more straightforward with no chain either side! Thanks :)
I'd always say that 12 weeks from the start of conveyancing (not from offer) with a straightforward freehold purchase is probably pretty standard. But easily slower if both sides aren't on it or if issues crop up.

Reactions: 3
I'd always say that 12 weeks from the start of conveyancing (not from offer) with a straightforward freehold purchase is probably pretty standard. But easily slower if both sides aren't on it or if issues crop up.
Ahh thats helpful! I was thinking it would be 12 weeks from the offer but conveyancing only started mid April so we have a way to go! thank you :)

Thank you, I’ve messaged the mortgage broker I signed up with and can hopefully have a chat with them tomorrow. EA basically told me they’ve had offers 10% over the “offers over” which wouldn’t surprise me for the area but could also be baloney. I can’t see the recent sales in the area, they only show 2023’s when I know lots have sold since then. Makes it harder to gauge the current situation.
I would be cheeky & knock on the door if it’s tenanted. You don’t have anything to lose.

Reactions: 1

This was more or less my purchase in 2022 & I completed in mid-July! So was about 4 months from viewing to completion. There were a couple of minor delays and I was on holiday for a few days so struggled to be in touch with the solicitor but 3-4 months is probably reasonable to expect.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I would also be wary about offering too much over the price if you are dependent on a mortgage because there is a risk that they won't lend you what you need because the bank doesn't value it as highly as you do. If you are happy to pay the higher price and can afford it though I'd definitely put forward an offer to the estate agents!
Just put an offer in. It's not binding. If by some chance you get it you always withdraw
---
Just put an offer in. It's not binding. If by some chance you get it you always withdraw
They basically told me to get lost 🥲 I went a bit over as an intro bid (7% above OIEO) and they didn’t want to pass on to the seller. I asked if they would pass on and then they said it’s gone to final bids so no. Seemed quick as only listed a week ago? Property not showing as sold stc yet.

She also said they had far higher bids like I’d insulted them. I offered the cost of a property in good condition - the difference it would cost to do up, so maybe someone has paid way over the odds.

I’m torn with my search now as there is a problem with damp, Buddleia davidii and ASB, so if properties are going for 20% less than the nicer areas now I really don’t think it’s worth buying here. It’s got to hit a ceiling surely as there is much more social housing here so whilst the properties in better postcodes may continue to rise I can’t see how people will accrue much equity here if this flipping bubble ever pops, especially as the current owners aren’t addressing damp problems after buying and making 100% on what they paid. Someone will be paying 300% more than what the properties were worth pre-covid and at some point have to address the expensive jobs that have been neglected.

Last edited:
Hi - new to this thread and just wondering if it’s OK to ask if anyone on this thread lives in or near Woodbridge in Suffolk? I’m thinking of making a move there which would be a big step and would like some info on whether it’s a nice place to live. Ive been there as a visitor and it’s ticking lots of boxes but would love to hear an independent opinion! I don’t really trust EA 😅

Hi - new to this thread and just wondering if it’s OK to ask if anyone on this thread lives in or near Woodbridge in Suffolk? I’m thinking of making a move there which would be a big step and would like some info on whether it’s a nice place to live. Ive been there as a visitor and it’s ticking lots of boxes but would love to hear an independent opinion! I don’t really trust EA 😅
My friend does and it’s a beautiful area! It’s the more expensive part around that area. Avoid Ipswich!

Does anyone know how I fill this in please? We are selling our house and buying a new one with a combination of savings and equity in our current house. Do I just leave the date of sale blank for now? Solicitor closed and didn’t reply to my email yesterday. Thanks ☺

Attachments

Does anyone know how I fill this in please? We are selling our house and buying a new one with a combination of savings and equity in our current house. Do I just leave the date of sale blank for now? Solicitor closed and didn’t reply to my email yesterday. Thanks ☺
Just say TBC. Date of sale for proof of funds would only be relevant here if the sale wasn't part of this transaction, so if you'd sold something before.

A question for the hive mind... I'm currently on mat leave due to return to work after 10ish months in January. If I were to provide a broker or lender with 3 months payslips they'll obviously show my lower salary. Would I be able to show my contract (to show I'm permanent staff) together with proof of my salary to secure a mortgage or am I best waiting until April when I'll have the 3 months payslips? Looking at new builds with end of year completion dates that have part exchange options for our current house. Quire impatient as our neighbours are driving me up the wall 🤬 I'm in Scotland btw 😊

A question for the hive mind... I'm currently on mat leave due to return to work after 10ish months in January. If I were to provide a broker or lender with 3 months payslips they'll obviously show my lower salary. Would I be able to show my contract (to show I'm permanent staff) together with proof of my salary to secure a mortgage or am I best waiting until April when I'll have the 3 months payslips? Looking at new builds with end of year completion dates that have part exchange options for our current house. Quire impatient as our neighbours are driving me up the wall 🤬 I'm in Scotland btw 😊
I did that and had to provide proof of contract/employment via an official letter to the lender, showing what salary I was returning to. I was in fact returning part time but they were happy to say full time 😅

Taken me a while to find this thread again. I’m a little nervous we’ve reserved our home this weekend. We are in a commuter belt area. It’s a new build - but it feels insane to spend so much money on a first home. Have two weeks to decide but it’s so exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Older houses are essentially same as the price of this first home but sometimes a bedroom less or only one bathroom . Any advice how to get over the jitters.

I feel sick knowing this will take 30 + years to pay off and these current mortgage rates. 😬😭

• Heart
Taken me a while to find this thread again. I’m a little nervous we’ve reserved our home this weekend. We are in a commuter belt area. It’s a new build - but it feels insane to spend so much money on a first home. Have two weeks to decide but it’s so exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. Older houses are essentially same as the price of this first home but sometimes a bedroom less or only one bathroom . Any advice how to get over the jitters.

I feel sick knowing this will take 30 + years to pay off and these current mortgage rates. 😬😭
Honestly I don't want to burst your bubble but I'd be very careful about buying a New Build. Do some serious research on the company in the net week or 2. Some of the biggest housebuilders have the worst reputations.

Own a new build and work for a new build firm here but I’m not biased I swear.

You will be fine. You get two years for any snags and the NHQC came in which means they have to sort things a lot quicker now.

I'm in a Facebook group called 'New Build Homes U.K' people post their site layout and what number plot they are looking at or multiple to see which people think is best. I'm not even looking for a house just randomly joined it. But even if you don't post there are posts on people's experiences of builders and you can look at posts for what people do/don't recommend for plots

I bought a new build and I’ve genuinely had no issues and the snags were minor and fixed very quickly