Hosting on Christmas Day

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is the first year that I’m hosting at my house. Please give me all the advice and tips you can because I’m stressing, especially about cooking the Christmas dinner! 🎄🦃

Reactions: 1
Timing is everything with cooking, plan it out in advance with times, set alarms if you have to. also if you can do the dishes as you go it’s a bit easier than having a bombsite kitchen at the end, so if you have a spare 5 mins whilst things are in the oven just wash a few dishes if you can / load dishwasher, mess stresses me out more 😂

Oh and pre-prepare anything you can, maybe cut veg the night before and refrigerate, I make soup on Christmas Eve for the starter on Christmas Day so I can just heat it up the next day

I’m hosting for the first time too. Silly question but veg prep - can it all just go in the fridge on Christmas Eve once it’s peeled and chopped?

Don’t worry about everything being perfect and don’t be afraid to ask for help or delegate things to people. You aren’t there to wait on everyone.

Reactions: 3
I host every year an do it all myself, a list is a absolute must have, get the list done with times of when things need to go on an when they will be done like turkey needs in at 1 an will be done by 3 etc that keeps me at least a bit organised with knowing how long things are going to take an am not having to work it all out there an then

Prep as much as you can, veg can be peeled an chopped an in the fridge the night before, even prawns can be mixed with the seafood sauce an in a dish in the fridge the night before (if you do those, you could chop the lettuce but I wouldn't put the prawns on top of it)

If you do start to feel completely stressed don't turn down help if it's offered, my first year felt like I couldn't even sit down an eat because it was all too much an I wish I had just let someone help, but am used to it now an don't even get stressed, sometimes you worry more thinking about it than you do on the day 😅

I’ve done it twice now and I’ve found lists of what I’ve to do. A list of timings, I prep the veg n leave to soak in water on the hob. I’ve only ever done it for my Inlaws n found it hard to
Ask or accept help from them (they do things completely different to me) but when I’ve done a normal roast for my parents I’ve asked for help.
relax it’s just a roast dinner at the end of day.
Enjoy it

Make what you can the day before and just heat up in the oven on the day. Roast potatoes are the most important part of diner so it's ok if you mess up everything else ;)

Reactions: 2
I'm hosting Christmas this year. My dad turned around to me earlier and, said I'm staying at yours on Christmas day for 9 hours. Am I wrong thinking that's rude as I want time with my fiance and my nearly 2 year old, not spend 9 hours with my dad. I want a few hours in the evening just us 3

Reactions: 3
This recommendation may be a bit late in the piece, but ...

Ask everyone to bring something - be it dessert, whatever you're having as a main, entrees, drinks, etc. Ask them to bring cool things in chilly bins / eskis as you likely won't have room in your fridge for everything, and hot foods wrapped in foil to keep them warm.

If you have someone who's really great at cooking, they might be flattered to cook and bring the turkey or whatever (or, they might be happy to do it in your kitchen).

Use a plastic tablecloth (easy to wipe) - you can get Christmas-themed ones. Use disposable plates and cutlery and glasses - you don't want to be stuck with a massive cleanup job afterwards.

Stock up on extra rolls of tin foil and cling wrap so you can gift leftovers to everyone to take home.

I'm hosting Christmas this year. My dad turned around to me earlier and, said I'm staying at yours on Christmas day for 9 hours. Am I wrong thinking that's rude as I want time with my fiance and my nearly 2 year old, not spend 9 hours with my dad. I want a few hours in the evening just us 3
It's only one day ... perhaps say that's fine but he shouldn't be offended if you do your own thing?

Prep as much as you can before hand but if you get a feeling things start to go tits up then get the alcohol flowing and take a little longer cooking. That way people will be drunk and they will eat anything ;).

Jokes aside, don't stress yourself out, it's your day to enjoy too. Get other people involved

Reactions: 4
I think since you are hosting you are entitled to say when arrival time should be. Getting guests to leave at a certain time is harder but maybe a not so subtle hint. Eg we are very tired now after a long day... Or just have a chat with him beforehand to say you would like to have a wee bit of time just the three of you that evening, bit of wind down time for the 2 year old too.

My tip would be to be prepared for something going wrong and its okay if things don't go the way you've planned. People are just generally happy to be together, have a drink and a laugh. Obviously making sure the dinner is cooked properly is a big one but give people jobs. Eg when I went to my parents I always used to be in charge of making the roast potatoes, setting the table and putting the bacon on the turkey. Also if guests are annoying and get in your way, it's okay to ban them from the kitchen.
Also think about a coping mechanism in advance if something does go wrong, eg you forget to put something in the oven at the right time. It's not the end of world but if you've planned everything out, it might seem like it. Whether it's go out the back for a few breaths of fresh air, call on a reliable guest to give you a hand to help you get back on track, or even just go upstairs and take deep breaths.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I’ve had a stressful Christmas Eve but the Turkey is cooked (maybe slightly over done 😬), veg prepped, table laid etc. the only thing that has to be done from scratch tomorrow is the potatoes. Fingers crossed it’ll all be ok.
Merry Christmas 🎄