High: Confessions of an Ibiza Drug Mule

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
First episode is tonight BBC1 but it's all on i player. Wasn't sure what to make of it or her. I didn't get much of a repentance vibe. More of a smugness that she boss babed prison and got out early. Plus could have done without her narration making out it was some cheeky jaunt she went on with her mates (her quips go on throughout and it gets annoying). Not sure why BBC gave her the time of day. I was 23 at the time but don't remember the case at all when it was all going on.

Reactions: 9
Following her on Instagram and watching the documentary made me think she hasn't really changed at all, she's just fame hungry.

I don't know how a so called "quiet girl" from rural Northern Ireland could go on to be the delegate of the prison wing in Peru, voted for by other prisoners if she didn't have a big presence? She even says Melissa thought she was crazy, Melissa seemed to have the right idea, head down, get on with it, go home and rebuild a quiet life.

The narration was awful, her tone of voice, the swearing, it was all just really cringe and took away from the seriousness of what actually happened.

She now swans about with her twins and takes provocative pictures of herself when they are around or she's in children's parks 🙈 even if she's making a load of money, let's just say money doesn't buy class

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I thought she came across really fake & her story isn't believable. I feel sorry for the other one who is trying to get on with her life. She must hate it constantly being brought back up. Also, her so called best friend from that time was just awful. As soon as she started speaking you could tell she was vacuous.

Reactions: 8
Her whole time in Ibiza could be a lie and the only real bit is that she actually got caught.

Reactions: 10
I actually thought she came across very well in the documentary. When I saw her on TV/in the papers back in 2013 I always thought she looked very hard faced and vacuous. But being interviewed she seemed very intelligent and likeable. Andrea (the translator) and Miguelina (the cellmate) both seemed like really good, kind people, so for them to care about and respect Michaella as much as they did I don't think she can be that bad. I also have a lot of admiration for how she spent her time in prison, like learning Spanish for instance. I think I would just lie in bed getting more and more depressed every day.

And I don't think she needs to keep repenting for the rest of her life. She's served nearly three years in prison in Peru, which seems like a fair punishment. She's not a murderer or a master criminal. She's just like most of the drug smugglers you see on Banged Up Abroad - stupid, naive kids who greedily jump at the chance of thousands of pounds for a few days work. A lot of them are desperate for money and/or are coerced into it and don't really know what they're getting into. The fact she was (according to her story) only being paid £5000 and thought Lima was somewhere in Spain says it all. She's a very small and easily replaceable cog in a big machine.

I thought it was a very enjoyable documentary and I was happy to see at the end that Miguelina has just been released.

Reactions: 15
I watched the first episode last night. I thought it was ok. I'm interested enough in the story to stick with it and watch the remaining episodes.
From what ive watched so far, she came across very flippant about the whole thing. She was talking like she had been caught doing a minor offence, not smuggling class A drugs in Peru.
I couldn't warm to her at all but that hasn't put me off watching the rest of the series.

I didn't believe her when she said she thought Lima was somewhere in Spain. Surely you would check that out beforehand and not while watching the flight path on screen on the plane. Seemed a bit unbelievable to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I was in Waterstones yesterday and noticed she has a book in the true crime section. I guess the documentary was to fit in time with that release. She's gotta cash in I guess

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I have mixed reservations about the documentary.
When the Peru 2 we’re 1st arrested and convicted, I had zero sympathy with them based on what had happened & also how the media portrayed them.
Last year I read her book - You’ll never see Daylight Again.
My opinion did a complete U-turn, the book was fascinating, emotional and gave a real insight and understanding on her life before Ibiza, which made me understand a little more how should could have fallen into that lifestyle.
Based on what I read in the book, I think the documentary was very poorly executed, massive parts of her story have been missed, I don’t think she came across well on the tv at all & I feel the programme makers slightly glamourised the situation.

The book is a thousand times better than the documentary & well worth a read 👍🏼👍🏼

Attachments

Reactions: 9
I have mixed reservations about the documentary.
When the Peru 2 we’re 1st arrested and convicted, I had zero sympathy with them based on what had happened & also how the media portrayed them.
Last year I read her book - You’ll never see Daylight Again.
My opinion did a complete U-turn, the book was fascinating, emotional and gave a real insight and understanding on her life before Ibiza, which made me understand a little more how should could have fallen into that lifestyle.
Based on what I read in the book, I think the documentary was very poorly executed, massive parts of her story have been missed, I don’t think she came across well on the tv at all & I feel the programme makers slightly glamourised the situation.

The book is a thousand times better than the documentary & well worth a read 👍🏼👍🏼
Thanks for that. I'm going to order it now. 🙂

Reactions: 1
I watched the 2nd episode and I actually quite enjoyed it. I warmed to her a bit more this week. I felt how nervous she was at the airport. That must have been horrendous, I would have puked!

I watched the 2nd episode and I actually quite enjoyed it. I warmed to her a bit more this week. I felt how nervous she was at the airport. That must have been horrendous, I would have puked!
The media seems to have sexed her up and made her into some kind of jail Don. She was just an immature girl who got caught up in the perceived glamour of Ibiza partying. I might have got caught up myself when I was her age. She comes across very well, and if she can make a few quid out of a terrible situation, and put some young ones who were contemplating a handy drug run off, then why not?

The media seems to have sexed her up and made her into some kind of jail Don. She was just an immature girl who got caught up in the perceived glamour of Ibiza partying. I might have got caught up myself when I was her age. She comes across very well, and if she can make a few quid out of a terrible situation, and put some young ones who were contemplating a handy drug run off, then why not?
Exactly. It would certainly put me off if I was young and naive and I haven't seen the jail episodes yet.
I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series 🙂

Reactions: 2
I just finished watching it on iPlayer and whilst I don't dislike her I couldn't warm to her that much either. I feel like she still doesn't understand the seriousness of it all and kept saying she was 'only 20' and it was a 'mistake'. We all make mistakes, especially when we're young but I wouldn't call flat out agreeing to smuggle drugs for £5k a stupid mistake. Yeah, it turned out to be a different country and more than she agreed to but she still said yes to the initial crime, knowing it was dangerous.

Reactions: 7
First episode is tonight BBC1 but it's all on i player. Wasn't sure what to make of it or her. I didn't get much of a repentance vibe. More of a smugness that she boss babed prison and got out early. Plus could have done without her narration making out it was some cheeky jaunt she went on with her mates (her quips go on throughout and it gets annoying). Not sure why BBC gave her the time of day. I was 23 at the time but don't remember the case at all when it was all going on.
Disgraceful she’s managed to become a ‘celeb’ off the back of it. Everyone deserves a second chance but she should do what the other girl has done.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
One thing that annoyed me was it came off like she was blaming Melissa a bit when describing them getting caught and lying about being made to smuggle the drugs. It could well have been the case as I know in an interview Melissa did say she was off the rails and did it for the challenge not the money. However, it came across a bit like Michaela was taking no responsibility for what happened from when they met at the airport until she got to prison and started in the salon and was getting elected.

I checked Michaella’s Instagram out and I’m in shock she went on holiday to Spain and Peru after 2016.

It reminded me of the film ‘the Business’ with Danny Dyer with the narration and montages

• Wow