Have you ever managed to lose a large amount of weight without surgery and been able to keep it off?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need to lose at least 6 stone if I'm being brutally honest with myself. But it seems such an impossible task. I know at least 8 people of the same or slightly higher weight than me, they have all lost a significant amount of weight recently and they've all been open and honest about the fact they've done it by having weight loss surgery

I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to be possible to do it on my own without surgery:unsure:

Reactions: 2
I was around 4 an a half/5 stone off years ago, just done calorie counting an upped my exercise, it took forever, like none of it was fast an there was times I was getting truely dissapointed because I'd go a few weeks losing 1lb or 2lbs then weeks where I stayed the same or maybe gained a lb or two again, but I've never regained anywhere near what I lost, I do go back an forth now, a lb gain then a lb lose but I've kept around the same weight ever since then when I originally lost it all, I am gaining a little bit now but I know it's cause am not being as active as I should be

You have to be strict with yourself an it does take a lot of will power, I wouldn't say you should deprive yourself of the "junk" food as you end up on a binge, but use it as more of a reward like you have so many good days then a little reward then back on track etc

But don't give up, it can be done an they always say the slower it comes off the longer it stays off, surgery isn't always the answer either, you have to have some amount of control with that as well, I know two that got surgery that are now bigger than what they were before they got it because they assumed the surgery would fix it an could still eat whatever, you are still technically doing a diet with surgery, it's just giving you a helping boost

Reactions: 5
@CrimsonCountess I think you could lose that amount of weight without surgery but you'd have to be extremely strict with yourself. I'm no expert and I haven't lost a large amount of weight before but I know people who have. First I'd say start off small and don't weigh yourself constantly, go by how you feel and also measure inches around your waist for example. Also I have had times where I would lose 1kg a week over say 6 weeks and this was from doing more activity than I usually would (more walking - 5k a day, swimming and weight training) but also completely cutting out carbs. I just ate meat/fish and veg (I did actually eat potatoes etc.) and drank only water and cups of tea. You can also have a weekly cheat day where you can have say a pizza or a burger with a diet drink.

You can still enjoy your food while cutting carbs and you will get results.

Anyway however you proceed I wish you luck but I believe in you! You can definitely do it ❤

Reactions: 1
I lost 9 stone in 20 months by counting calories on my fitness pal and regular gym sessions (mostly cardio) this was 11 years ago for my wedding. Over the years my weight has fluctuated by a stone or 2 but on the whole I’ve kept it off.
I was 30 when I started and weighed about 21 stone. It sounds very quick but at 21 stone it does tend to drop off very quickly with consistency.
A colleague of mine has just had weight loss surgery and yes they have lost a significant amount of weight very quickly but not without sacrifice (avoiding social situations, complication with the wounds, stomach issues, acid reflux, nausea, vomiting) if I had to lose the weight again I wouldn’t pick surgery.
It’s not an impossible task, you just have to really want to make the change but I will say, it doesn’t fix all your problems as I think when we’re bigger we have a tendency to think everything will be better if we just lose weight. Definitely recommend trying to get more insight into your eating habits in general as this will help avoid a yo yo situation (this is from experience!!) Good luck. You can do it.

Reactions: 8
I definitely don't think I could actually go through with surgery, mentally it seems like such hard going and also the way you have to live the rest of your life I'm not sure I could do it

But then the thought of calorie counting for ages also makes me want to scream:LOL: it's good to hear that it is possible though and that there have been successes. 9 stone is an amazing loss!

I lost 3 stone. Started in Jan 2021 and hit my goal earlier this year!

Have managed to keep it off since then, like above as people have said, occassionally putting on a couple of lbs now and then but I'm trying not to weigh as much and be a bit more flexible as I find myself becoming a bit obsessive about calorie counting!

I just try to have a good diet 80-90% of the time and I go to the gym and do cardio/strength training 3-4 times a week and get 10k steps in every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I need to lose at least 6 stone if I'm being brutally honest with myself. But it seems such an impossible task. I know at least 8 people of the same or slightly higher weight than me, they have all lost a significant amount of weight recently and they've all been open and honest about the fact they've done it by having weight loss surgery

I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to be possible to do it on my own without surgery:unsure:
I lost 7 stone over ten years ago and managed to keep it all off. I was overweight as a teenager and it spiralled when my mum died (still a teenager) and made my life pretty miserable. I had my head in the right space and I was determined to do it. Best thing I did. Took me a year I reckon but I was very strict! Small portions and LOTS of walking and no alcohol. I maintain by just being sensible and plenty walking.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I definitely don't think I could actually go through with surgery, mentally it seems like such hard going and also the way you have to live the rest of your life I'm not sure I could do it

But then the thought of calorie counting for ages also makes me want to scream:LOL: it's good to hear that it is possible though and that there have been successes. 9 stone is an amazing loss!
We're creatures of habit - If you calorie count for a few months you usually learn roughly what works for you and get used to the kinds of foods and portions you can eat and listening to your hunger. Then you can try stopping counting and see how you go, although it's very easy for things to start sneaking up on you.
---
I've lost 3+ stone three or four times in my life and now I'm bigger than ever. It's incredibly depressing.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

It seems quite intimidating at first but you quickly start to learn what's good an what can be used for a treat, oatmeal is usually quite low cal an is quite filling, of course all fruit an veg are genuinely quite low too, some snacks now have their cals printed on them like say skips I think is 99 cals

But it can also open your eyes to food as well, I was surprised to learn my soup is almost 600 cals for a can, the biscuits I'd think "I'll just have a sneaky few" are like 130 each, so it does help you become more aware of what you are consuming

There's also apps as well that can help, some you can scan barcodes an it will let you know an others you can search the name an it will come up, I found keeping track of what I was eating on a app helped me be aware of what I was eating as if you don't write it down it can be easy to lose track an eat more than you think

• Heart
I've lost a lot of weight a few times in my life. First 3 stone, then 4 stone, then 5 stone. Always by calorie counting/exercise (though sometimes went to SW for motivation but i didn't really follow their plan. I didn't tell them that!) Never kept it off for more than a year or two, and always end up bigger when it goes back on. At this point I've given up because I don't want to get even bigger.

• Heart
I lost 110lbs and went from a size 22 to a size 8. That was fifteen years ago and I’m currently a size 8-10. I’ve no idea how much I weigh now as I don’t want to get hung up about weight anymore.

Yes, I lost 10 and a half stone in jsut under 18 months.

Was done through calorie counting and walking.

I’ve kept it off. I usually gain around half a stone over Xmas or on holidays. But it comes off easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I’ve been on that many diets that I’m sick to the back teeth of syns, points and calorie counting.
But I realised a while back that something has to give - I’m not healthy being the weight I am.
I actually got dragged back to SW a few weeks back with a friend, but I’ve realised that the plan actually triggers me into all sorts of bad habits.
I go just for the weigh in now, and I’ve gritted my teeth and got into the habit of counting calories.
I do it on an app, and I can track my exercise on there too (just walking) to make sure I burn more than I’ve eaten.
As others have said, it’s sloooow progress. I’m losing about 1/2lb a week 😳
But it’s a more sustainable way of doing it, imo.
There are some really inspiring posts on here so I feel really motivated to keep it up :)
I’d say give the calorie counting a go; at the moment I’m finding it more painless than following specific eating plans. And like you, I’d be too scared to have surgery.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to hear it can actually done. I'm so bored and fed up of being fat now:LOL: but it just seems like such a monumental task

• Heart
Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to hear it can actually done. I'm so bored and fed up of being fat now:LOL: but it just seems like such a monumental task
Keep a note of inches lost, somtimes weight can stay the same but inches come down, it can help to keep you motivated when you feel nothings happening cause the scale isn't moving

I lost 6 stone with SW. Counting calories isn’t for me as I’m very dyscalculic and I struggle with numbers.

Calorie counting is a lot less work than surgery would be. Even putting the surgery aside, most calorie count after surgery as well as having to make sure you're hitting your protien goals, on vitamins for life ect ect.
Once you get into the swing of calorie counting, it becomes quite easy to keep track.

I lost just over 5 stone by calorie counting and light exercise (documented in the weight loss threads here, which I recommend joining). It took about 9 months, with the last stone taking 3 months. I was VERY strict foodwise - one cheat day a month. It was during covid so it was a lot easier to avoid social situations. My exercise was mostly walking (Leslie Sansone does fab walking videos on Youtube).

Not going to lie, it has been difficult to keep it off. It's truly a lifestyle change. I read Ultra Processed People early this year and it's really helped me recommit to the healthy eating side of things. Big recommend.

Surgery is pretty drastic - I'd try Ozempic or similar first if you feel you need it. I think there is a thread here somewhere.

One thing I will stress - I felt a lot better after losing 2 stone and a huge difference after 3 stone. It's worth setting smaller targets to make it feel less overwhelming. You can do it! Good luck!

I lost just over 5 stone by calorie counting and light exercise (documented in the weight loss threads here, which I recommend joining). It took about 9 months, with the last stone taking 3 months. I was VERY strict foodwise - one cheat day a month. It was during covid so it was a lot easier to avoid social situations. My exercise was mostly walking (Leslie Sansone does fab walking videos on Youtube).

Not going to lie, it has been difficult to keep it off. It's truly a lifestyle change. I read Ultra Processed People early this year and it's really helped me recommit to the healthy eating side of things. Big recommend.

Surgery is pretty drastic - I'd try Ozempic or similar first if you feel you need it. I think there is a thread here somewhere.

One thing I will stress - I felt a lot better after losing 2 stone and a huge difference after 3 stone. It's worth setting smaller targets to make it feel less overwhelming. You can do it! Good luck!
That’s an amazing achievement.

I used to follow that thread but slunk away in shame because I was doing so rubbish!

Off to find it again now! 😊

• Heart