Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pinkii

VIP Member
I would use a good clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the product build up and also give your straightener plates a good clean.

Reactions: 4

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
When this happens to me I clean my straighteners, use head and shoulders to really clean my hair before using my normal shampoo or add lemon juice to my shampoo to help remove the build up of products, give it a blast of dry shampoo and hope and pray to the hair gods to make my hair nice again!

Reactions: 1

Kaye1976

Freshly washed hair and new straightness from Christmas this year but when I use them the front of my hair looks shiny/greasy.

any suggestions?

thanks

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Do you use heat protection spray? My hair was like this for years, still is to a degree but in lockdown it’s become much better, I switched shampoos (I use a combo of the garnier hair food mask and Aussie shampoo) and stopped using my hair straighteners (and hairdryer where possible!)… if I do use my hair straighteners I mist my hair in heat protection spray, I find it’s become much less greasy and much thicker/better condition too!

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
My hair does the same. It’s super fine and literally any heat and it’s greasy and dull. I’ve yet to find the answer… just wanted to sympathise!

Smellycat18

Is your hair fine? Mine is too & this can happen to me, just looks lank at the roots. I’ve found that rotating the straightener a little bit gives a little bit of lift at the root & helps with that. Also a decent dry shampoo ( depends on your budget, but I’ve found the Living Proof one is the best). Good luck x

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
What do you all use to clean your straighteners with?
I tend to just use a baby wipe as there’s always hundreds of them around in this house. My logic is that there’s nothing too strong on them that’s going to ruin the plates but I can literally see any residue coming away from the plates on the wipe. My GHDs have been going for 14 years now so a baby wipe here and there clearly hasn’t done them any harm.

Sweatingbullets

Chatty Member
Have you tried dry shampooing after straightening? It gives my hair a real lease of life. I also find fully blow drying it first helps too.

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
I’ve washed my hair tonight minus the conditioner to see if that helps.
When my hair is short I never use conditioner as it makes it greasy. Would only use it when my hair is getting towards my boobs and only use it on the hair from the neck down.

under the ivy

VIP Member
Get rid of some product build-up in your hair by using a clarifying shampoo (be careful if you’re hair is coloured as it may strip the dye), give your straighteners a clean as well as your hair brushes.