Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Having your own gym at home is certainly cool, but I'm not sure I have enough money for it. How much money did you spend on installing a gym?
Again this will vary depending on what equipment you intend to buy, if you intend to buy brand new or pre owned equipment or lease hire the gear, if you need to convert the space in your home etc etc etc

For most people, unless you are just going to use cheap weights, it will cost a fortune to convert a room in your home and kit it out as a fully functional gym. Why not just go to a gym?!

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Well this didn’t last long but I rejoined the gym again. I’ve moved house now only a few minutes away back when I start this thread it was 20min+ away so I just couldn’t be bothered to go. My goal is to lose weight (around 1-2 stone) and get fitter. I’ll mostly be going after my night shift ends/at times when there isn’t any classes/staff.
So far I’ve just been doing the following just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on if something would be better:
- treadmill: 5 mins run, 2-3min walk, 5 min win, 2-3 min walk, 5 min run - my plan is to do this until I find that easy then increase it to a longer time. Also I plan to eventually do 20-30min running rather than 15mins.
- I then do a variety of weight machines arms/legs.

I stay for around 55mins-1hour
As I have been going after work this seems the perfect time for me I think, as I am a bit tired and need to get home, shower and sleep hopefully before it gets light out. I may stay longer once I get fitter and am able to hopefully enjoy it more.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
I definitely recommend classes especially any circuit training classes as you get an idea of form with weight training and it seems to be a more all-round exercise.

From personal experience I started with lots of cardio just to improve fitness. Then I started circuit training classes and got a PT for a few sessions who drew up a programme for weight training and cardio and showed me proper technique with regards to squats, deadlifting and bench press.

If you want to do compound lifts like deadlifting and squats I'd recommend a PT even if just for a few sessions just so your technique is right because incorrect form can lead to injuries. It also helps just to have confidence in the weight area.

Personally I prefer doing cardio and weight training as they complement each other I feel. Like when I have stronger calves and legs I feel I can run faster etc. Also just doing one without the other gets boring I think.

1x2x3x4x

Anyone willing to share their gym routine?

I currently go 5-6 times a week to the gym either weights, circuit classes or swimming 1km to stretch my muscles.

On weight days I try to do any of the following: legs/glutes/arms/back.

Keep a track of weights in the notes app on my phone too and how many sets so I can track progress.

But I’m relatively new to all this so would appreciate any advice or anyone sharing their routines 😅

Emsie

VIP Member
Classes are a great way to to start off. Not sure where you live but classes aren't back on til mid May where I am. There are some classes you can follow on you tube etc or your gym may have its own app. Mine does and uploads classes weekly.