Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bubblegumblades

Chatty Member
I'd start with classes to get in the swing of it. That's what I did and it really takes the pressure off quite a bit. It built up my fitness and worked all areas of my body, and it helped me build up an idea on what my body needed and what I could and couldn't tolerate. Also speaking to the fitness instructors (if they're willing and able) helped me a lot, especially if you'd been to their class a fair few times. I didn't realise how much damage I have done to my knee by not realising they were double jointed and was bending them back when standing with my legs "straight" until an instructor told me...Also breathing...learning to breathe properly was so important.

Reactions: 3

no-no

VIP Member
Well this didn’t last long but I rejoined the gym again. I’ve moved house now only a few minutes away back when I start this thread it was 20min+ away so I just couldn’t be bothered to go. My goal is to lose weight (around 1-2 stone) and get fitter. I’ll mostly be going after my night shift ends/at times when there isn’t any classes/staff.
So far I’ve just been doing the following just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on if something would be better:
- treadmill: 5 mins run, 2-3min walk, 5 min win, 2-3 min walk, 5 min run - my plan is to do this until I find that easy then increase it to a longer time. Also I plan to eventually do 20-30min running rather than 15mins.
- I then do a variety of weight machines arms/legs.

I stay for around 55mins-1hour
As I have been going after work this seems the perfect time for me I think, as I am a bit tired and need to get home, shower and sleep hopefully before it gets light out. I may stay longer once I get fitter and am able to hopefully enjoy it more.
Have a look at subscribing to a reputable program from a qualified coach (not fitness influencer) that you like the look of as that will help stave off any plateaus. A lot have apps and it only costs £15-20 a month. I used to spend up to two hours in the gym now I’m done in 45-50 mins and have better results, longer better. Do your cardio after weight training. I burn just as much, if not more, lifting weights than when I ran 10km.

Reactions: 2

under the ivy

VIP Member
When I first joined I just did the cardio equipment because I was scared of the weights section. I got a plan from my gym and it included weights, changed my life.

I love strength training / weight lifting and it changes your body so much. I do about 1 hour weights / machines (either leg, arm/back etc) then 30-40 minutes cardio (mostly cross trainer). I do that 3x a week.

If you’re with PureGym they do plans via their app for free based on what you want to focus on.

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Most gyms I’ve joined over the years have offered an introductory PT session to help with setting up a plan so much I’d ask if they do something like that.

Base2019

VIP Member
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any links to any gym routines for beginners they recommend. I want to start going to the gym but last time I joined I didn’t last long as I just didn’t know what to do. I ended up just going on different pieces of equipment for a short time. It can include swimming as I plan to join a gym with a pool 😄
My advice would be to start off with some gym classes, book a variety of different types of classes so you can get a feel for what you like and actually enjoy - this is the key to going back and making a proper go of it ☺ You can get your confidence up by doing the classes and then do the odd gym work out on your own when you feel like it. I personally wouldn’t pay for PT classes as I do feel like gym classes in any decent gym are equally as beneficial and far far cheaper

Reactions: 1

HumphreyB

VIP Member
Thanks! My goal is both but mainly weight loss 😊
Try commit to 3 times per week. Take some progress pics too. Its a great way to see the progress in yourself. We can be so critical of ourselves and its easy to feel deflated or like we aren't getting where we want to be. Good luck

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
My advice would be to start off with some gym classes, book a variety of different types of classes so you can get a feel for what you like and actually enjoy - this is the key to going back and making a proper go of it ☺ You can get your confidence up by doing the classes and then do the odd gym work out on your own when you feel like it. I personally wouldn’t pay for PT classes as I do feel like gym classes in any decent gym are equally as beneficial and far far cheaper
Thank you! I’ll have a look when I eventually sign up got some exams this month so focusing on them first 😊

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
I definitely recommend classes especially any circuit training classes as you get an idea of form with weight training and it seems to be a more all-round exercise.

From personal experience I started with lots of cardio just to improve fitness. Then I started circuit training classes and got a PT for a few sessions who drew up a programme for weight training and cardio and showed me proper technique with regards to squats, deadlifting and bench press.

If you want to do compound lifts like deadlifting and squats I'd recommend a PT even if just for a few sessions just so your technique is right because incorrect form can lead to injuries. It also helps just to have confidence in the weight area.

Personally I prefer doing cardio and weight training as they complement each other I feel. Like when I have stronger calves and legs I feel I can run faster etc. Also just doing one without the other gets boring I think.
I go mostly first thing in the morning (5am) after work so there isn’t any classes otherwise I would. I don’t think I’ll do squats/dead lifts just weight machines.
Thank you all I’ll have a look at the links above 😄

HumphreyB

VIP Member
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any links to any gym routines for beginners they recommend. I want to start going to the gym but last time I joined I didn’t last long as I just didn’t know what to do. I ended up just going on different pieces of equipment for a short time. It can include swimming as I plan to join a gym with a pool 😄
Whats your goal? Do you want to loose weight? Gain muscle? Both?

Classes are a great way to start because they are guided. You can get some advice on your form and technique. Try and balance out your classes so your not doing the same thing over and over and make sure you have adequate recovery days. Id recommend strength training. Its important you focus on your technique when starting out. Going through the movements with little or no weight initially is best untill you know your doing the exercises correctly and keeping your body safe. Ask for help in your gym, You tube also has lots of free tutorials.

Mamacita

VIP Member
What do you want to do at the gym? What is your goal? Do you want to do cardio, do you want to lift weights?

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Is it worth installing a home gym?
Really depends. What do you mean by a home gym? Depends what You want to achieve, how much you intend to use it etc
Do you go to a gym currently? You’d need to weigh up the cost of going to a gym versus the outlay of setting up one at home and if you’d genuinely use a home gym enough to justify the cost.

indeedjoy

I tend to do
Monday - active rest day and food prepping
Tuesday - glutes
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - quads and hamstrings - sometimes I swap with Wednesday rest day depending on work
Friday - upper
Saturday - conditioning day
Sunday - Pilates and stretching

Emsie

VIP Member
Happy to share mine but I only do classes.
Mon spin. Tues spin. Weds lbt. Thurs pump. Fri circuits. Sat rest. Sun pump and spin.
I absolutely love spin

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Whats your goal? Do you want to loose weight? Gain muscle? Both?

Classes are a great way to start because they are guided. You can get some advice on your form and technique. Try and balance out your classes so your not doing the same thing over and over and make sure you have adequate recovery days. Id recommend strength training. Its important you focus on your technique when starting out. Going through the movements with little or no weight initially is best untill you know your doing the exercises correctly and keeping your body safe. Ask for help in your gym, You tube also has lots of free tutorials.
Thanks! My goal is both but mainly weight loss 😊

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
if you’re going to get any equipment i’d say the peloton bike is definitely up there! not just for the bike but the variety of classes too! yoga, running, hiit… you name it, it’s got it.
alternatively, you could buy a spin bike and just subscribe to the app

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
You need to have a chat with a PT. most gyms will offer sessions with PTs although you will probably have to pay for them but it’s worth it if you are a complete novice and need some direction. What are you looking to achieve by going to the gym? Is it weight loss? Strength & conditioning? Increase in stamina? Have you a goal in mind? A PT will listen to what you are trying to get out of your sessions and will offer advice on what equipment to use and will show you how to properly use it and give advice on how often to train etc

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member

HumphreyB

VIP Member
I tend to hit the gym 3/4times per week.
Tuesday I focus on chest and biceps
Wednesday legs bum abs
Thursday back triceps (add some bike work or short run)
Saturday shoulders and cardio or I take a class depends.
If I finish work on time I do a Monday class too. Classes are a mix really of weights hitt, circuit type that has the heart rate up.
What I do depends on mood and time. Today I was short on time so I focused on reps and heart rate when doing legs where as more time I focus more on weight