Grocery/food shopping budgets

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't been to do the shopping since 2020 probably as I'm disabled and it's a job my husband prefers to do without me now. But he just told me last month we spent £750 in supermarkets, £150 on takeaways and I nearly fainted! We do not have the money for this. He said it's over £650 every month. I have no idea what's considered normal.

We feed three adults every day and sometimes another adult (for one meal a day maybe 5 days a week), plus toiletries, dog food, cat food. No special diets. We shop at Lidl or Aldi.

I have no idea why it is so bad. I use to budget in the £70-100 a week range back in 2019/2020, still at Aldi. I meal plan and write a list but he's not a man to think oh x is on sale so we could substitute that, and he always comes home with extras like beer, crisps, biscuits but like £5-10 worth of extras, not £50 worth.

Is everyone spending silly money? We're not eating luxuriously. Can others share their budgets?

I am, I spend a ridiculous amount not far off yours and I’m a single person (bar the takeaways). It’s easily done these days going off friends and family. I don’t eat out and love buying condiments and random stuff which all mounts up. But I am determined to clear through my cupboards this month. I’ve noticed I’m wasting a lot of things so need to cut back.

Reactions: 1
2 adults 2 kids here and with takeaways and dog food we are at least £600 per month but Id imagine some months closer to £800.

My weekly shop is never less than £100 but will vary from £100 to £140 per week. I usually do Costco bi monthly which is another £150. Raw dog food costs us £100 a month.

Then all the little top up shops for fruit, veg, bread and milk.

Food has really gone up since 2019/2020. If you were spending £70-100 then Id say thats likely to be £100 to £130 now. 😬

IMG_5049.png
This is our general weekly spend for 2 adults. Looking at July it’s around £224. We tend to go out for a meal once or twice a week and I get Pepsi max, loo rolls and wine from Costco every now and then on top of this. We rarely get top up shops through the week. We cook everything from scratch and pretty much every dinner has meat in it

Reactions: 2
I was just sorting my Sainsbury’s online shop and thinking I need to get more organised. I have a Sainsbury’s delivery on a Monday and then tend to pop to Lidl on a Friday to get fruit etc as my daughter is home Friday to Monday. Because I do two shops and the minimum delivery is £40 I tend to buy extras I don’t need at Sainsbury’s to meet the minimum so thinking I either need to change the delivery to Friday and risk the pickers giving me the squished gross fruit or ditch the deliveries and do one shop in store but there might be times I have to bring my 3yo along which will be a nightmare. Between the two shops I’m spending £60-£80 a week for 2 adults and a toddler, although that doesn’t include meat.

My partner usually works away for up to 12 days at a time and when he’s gone I spend a lot less, the last month he’s been at home every day and in that month for me, him, a 3 year old and a 1 year old we spent near on £800 in the month 🤮 Add on top of that kids clothes, a new school uniform in September etc it’s diabolical 🙈

Variations of that really. 2 adults and 2 children. No alcohol. I try and spend about £150. Not sure how to make it cheaper..

Attachments

View attachment 2343409This is our general weekly spend for 2 adults. Looking at July it’s around £224. We tend to go out for a meal once or twice a week and I get Pepsi max, loo rolls and wine from Costco every now and then on top of this. We rarely get top up shops through the week. We cook everything from scratch and pretty much every dinner has meat in it
I am so nosey but this is my ideal budget - what kind of things are you buying each week and do you batch cook?

I am so nosey but this is my ideal budget - what kind of things are you buying each week and do you batch cook?
I usually plan out a menu at some point the week before. I’ve put pics of what we ordered over 3 different weeks. They give random vouchers too so sometimes I buy extra meat one week and freeze it

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I usually plan out a menu at some point the week before. I’ve put pics of what we ordered over 3 different weeks. They give random vouchers too so sometimes I buy extra meat one week and freeze it
You know I’m sitting down with this and my groceries app later, you star! 🔥👏

• Heart