Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hollie Day

VIP Member
I like used to like it back in the days when they asked them to copy mass produced items like the french fancy cakes, custard creams, and cherry bakewells.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

Jjbeans

I’m soooo glad I’ve found this thread!

does anyone else remember the bread week Paul made the iconic lion bread and didn’t win star baker BECAUSE HE CAME LAST IN THE TECHNICAL?! Sandro was robbed!

and I’m pleased Janusz didn’t go, I think it was Kevin’s time, but I feel like if, for example, Maxy had made something that looked bad, but tasted amazing for the showstopper they’d have kept her in. The judging just seems inconsistent.

Reactions: 32

bellinibobble

VIP Member
FYI Channel 4 producers I have solved your Bake Off problem for you:

I had an epiphany while listening to Richard Ayoade on Off Menu this week.. he would be the PERFECT GBBO host!! Loves dessert, endearingly awkward in a funny way and anyone who has seen him and Noel on Big Fat Quiz knows they are a brilliant double act.

Time for Matt to skedaddle, thank you bye 👋🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Megatron1298

VIP Member
I wanna watch for soggy bottoms and a dense crumb! I don’t want to watch meat marinading or a fish cake 🤢 this has to be the worst season.

Almost as upsetting as the final a few years back where they had to cook on an outdoor fire for the final

MarmiteExtract

VIP Member
Apart from that, they should be changing the name to The Bake Off, if candidates can enter from other countries.
Er sorry what? They all live in the UK.

There’s not a crack team of international baking professionals being parachuted in to take slots from local bakers.

• Haha
  • Heart

Leftpeg9

Chatty Member
Honestly, what was so wrong with excelling at the basics with a twist? Victoria sponge, lemon drizzles, birthday cakes, barely a bit of bread in bloody bread week!! Chocolate week? Tea parties….

Reactions: 26

Mollywobbles

VIP Member
It needs to go back to the days of Victoria sponges, scones and biscuits.
No structures or arty farty scenes from their childhood.
And get rid of Paul Hollywood and replace him with someone who isn’t an arrogant patronising arse.

Reactions: 26

bellinibobble

VIP Member
Bake Off is just not really grabbing my attention this series. I never really sack tv shows off altogether so I’ll keep watching but I’ve seen some of the older episodes on Food Network recently and it makes you realise how different it is now, with contestants who are genuine amateurs. Like this year, I feel like the standard overall is really high. It’s kind of like the Love Island effect and started changing after Nadiya won.. people are going on the show because they want a tv or book deal, rather than they just like making cakes for their grandkids or whatever. 🤣

Reactions: 25

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
As someone from
Northern Ireland
I feel like I should have been backing
Rebs
but I just couldn't warm to them at all.
Her face when she was put out!! OMG! Cheer up love, it's only a baking competition after all. James was all lovely and smiley and "well I didn't do a good job so mea culpa!" But Rebs looked like someone had just told her she had 2 weeks to live, FFS!! 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 25

mee43

VIP Member
I really couldn’t take to Rebs. Maybe harsh, but she struck me as someone who is not used to ever being criticised or told that she can’t have what she wants. James went straight over to her to commiserate when they were both eliminated, but Rebs was quite self absorbed in her reaction to getting sent home
I didn’t enjoy Mexican week, and the Taco challenge seemed more like a cookery test than a baking one.

Reactions: 24

MakeDamnSure

VIP Member
Its been getting worse over the last few years with the challenges getting more and more difficult and they’ve been getting harsher in time limits too. They think it’s good tv to watch them all struggle when in reality it’s just not. The charm of bake off, for me, used to be watching a group of people make really good looking things that you actually wanted to eat and felt you could have a go at too. There hasn’t been one thing this year that I have really wanted to eat, let alone try and make!
Last weeks pie challenge for example. They had to make 8 pies. A few years ago it would have been 3 pies and that’s why there would be lots of extra detail on them and they would look fantastic, because they had the time to do it. All the silly structural elements to the showstopper are just setting them up for failure.
Prue is fine, if a little bland. Noel and Matt don’t work together and Paul is just really overdoing the harsh judge thing but then he always has.
It has been getting steadily worse for years now but this year really has been dull with no stand out bakes at all.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I'm seeing more discontent with Bake Off across the board. This a snippet from The Guardian.

Screenshot_20221106_113645.jpg

Screenshot_20221106_113411.jpg

Hurrah54

VIP Member
I feel like its had its day. I know everything has to be *dramatic* these days but I prefer watching them baking something I could possibly attempt or seeing something simple done really impressively.

- Paul is a rude twat and I'd like to see him spend 4 hours on some of the ridiculous show stoppers this year
- Prue is fine but I'm still missing Mary
- Noel and Matt are obviously bored out of their minds and really don't suit the show so it makes it awkward
- I wish they showed more of the final bakes rather than a 2 second clip and then the rest on Paul's face
- I feel like the challenges are so stupid that they're all already defeated and stressed before it's started

Dunno... I just fast forward it the day after now and can watch it in 15 mins 😀

Reactions: 23

Blair-Waldorf

VIP Member
I feel as though we hardly saw any baking, where did Sandro’s other layer go for example. greedy channel 4 just trying to squeeze more adverts in. Big changes need to happen next year. The whole thing is stale and it’s such a shame

Reactions: 23