Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
yes! how on earth could you guess? :ROFLMAO: i listened to it today and she made a mistake with a very basic verb as well :ROFLMAO: I don't know why I put myself through it sometimes
Because it annoys the tit out of me too šŸ˜‚ I just wanna listen to the case god damn and I canā€™t concentrate because of all the grammatical errors šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I am told it's dialect but I'm certain the amount of people who say "I seen" has risen significantly in recent years and I cringe internally every time.

Reactions: 8
I am told it's dialect but I'm certain the amount of people who say "I seen" has risen significantly in recent years and I cringe internally every time.
I think what annoys me is that (assuming it is a dialect) people don't seem to be taught that there is a different between formal and informal English. I usually teach English as a foreign language and all students have the idea of this but recently I taught an academic language course to a mix of native and non native speakers, and most of the native speakers had no concept of what was appropriate or not in writing essays etc. I really despair of our education system

Reactions: 4
ā€˜Isnā€™t itā€™ like ā€˜innitā€™ It drives me mad! Even my old consultant used to say that (English wasnā€™t his first language but you would expect a highly qualified doctor not to speak in slang to their patients)

Reactions: 1
ā€œAs perā€ ā€¦ ā€œasā€ and ā€œperā€ mean the same thing, so ā€œas perā€ is redundant. It drives me up the wall that everyone at work uses ā€œas perā€.

Mixing up bought and brought. Iā€™m going to end up getting banned on some of the Vinted groups on Facebook as it does my head in.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I may have said this before, but it's still does my head in, the inability to differentiate between lie, laid and lay. I see it everywhere - even from people who should definitely know better. Speaking of "definitely"; many people seem to think the work "defiantly" will do just as well. Also, when did it become acceptable to say "generally" when the person really means "genuinely"? Aaaaaaaaaah, that feels better! Thank you for this opportunity to vent! :)

Reactions: 3
ā€œAs perā€ ā€¦ ā€œasā€ and ā€œperā€ mean the same thing, so ā€œas perā€ is redundant. It drives me up the wall that everyone at work uses ā€œas perā€.
That's an absolutely fine use of words
I'm not sure what your word - exteroize - means though?

I saw a meme that made me think of this thread.

It refers to people saying someone ' was like ' instead of saying someone said . The meme explained that using 'said' is pretty much quoting someone but using 'was like' takes into account someone's non verbal communication such as tone , facial expressions and body language.

Reactions: 3
When I get random adds on Snapchat from quick add and every single one of them says "show me u." I can't even explain how much that irritates me!! Why can't they say can you show me a picture? Can I see what you look like? Why does every single male say it?!?!?!