Grace Dent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Setting up a thread to discuss the journalist and writer, Grace Dent, after she was mentioned so much on the Paula Yates thread.

Off we go!

Reactions: 8
Her reviews of the BB programmes used to have me in stitches she was usually spot on about their characters a well.

Reactions: 18
I loved her big brother columns. I was shocked when I saw her on the Paula Yates documentary as she looks so different now.

I find her interesting. I first started listening to the Comfort Eating podcast when she was experimenting with that strange, affected, granny-like style of speaking - does anybody know what I mean? I was relieved she gave it up!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think her delivery/ conveying of ‘smile in the voice’ is very noticeable.

Reactions: 4
I've been recently listening to her on a few podcasts. I'm fascinated by her but don't know why and don't know if it's like or dislike.

I used to love Grace Dent, way back when, was quite shocked when she appeared on MasterChef as a food critic and had to check it was the same person 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I used to love Grace Dent, way back when, was quite shocked when she appeared on MasterChef as a food critic and had to check it was the same person 😂

I’m the other way around. Only know her as a food writer and critic. The big brother thing was confusing me 😂

Reactions: 9
I find her interesting. I first started listening to the Comfort Eating podcast when she was experimenting with that strange, affected, granny-like style of speaking - does anybody know what I mean? I was relieved she gave it up!
Yes! That strange bit at the beginning when she was pretending to be eating something got me as well 😂
I do like her though :)

Reactions: 3
She seemed to go through some kind of mega transformation between the TV (TVOD?!) column in the Guardian and then blossoming into a restaurant critic… her style went from “19”-era Adele to Joan Crawford in a stroke and seems to be on the cusp of now falling into drag queen territory.

Having said that, I really do love her. She wrote very movingly about the loss of her mum and she seems to be keen to stress her Cumbrian roots in a genuine and warm way, as opposed to being a “professional Yorkshireman” IYSWIM.

And IIRC her TV column took over from Charlie Brooker and they were some massive shoes to fill… if you ever need a laugh, go find some of her reviews of the first couple of series of Made In Chelsea. You’ll thank me.

Reactions: 18
Yes! That strange bit at the beginning when she was pretending to be eating something got me as well 😂
I do like her though :)
Yes! I hate the exaggerated sounds of people eating. I do not need to hear them in a microphone.

I think she’s just had a glow up and is feeling herself. She does look wildly different, but if you read her book she alludes to always feeling a bit wrong for this media career she got herself and so, well, good for her if she feels a little more right. I’d say there was significant anxiety based weight loss from her parental situation, and she’s going with it. She mentioned a personal trainer in a recent podcast with DawnOPorter.

I think she’s also given up drinking and this has led her to discover the gym instead! She looks great.

Can't bear hearing people eating apples🤯
Ha! I never take an apple to work because I’d feel so self conscious eating it 😂 I don’t know how how people can brazenly sit chomping away on one at their desk 🤣

Reactions: 6
Ha! I never take an apple to work because I’d feel so self conscious eating it 😂 I don’t know how how people can brazenly sit chomping away on one at their desk 🤣
I worked with 2 people (one was my boss) who would chomp their way unashamedly through 3 or 4 apples a day😁 funny thing though they both had lovely healthy looking skin!!!!!

• Haha
I like Grace and really enjoyed her memoir and her podcast, although strongly agree that the eating into the mic is incredibly offputting! There was a bit in the book I really identified with about being tge kind of woman who doesn’t mind holding a baby but is mightily relieved to hand it back.

I was intrigued when I read something recently about her giving up drinking, especially as she was referring to it as ‘getting sober’ which to me is usually a phrase used by people with addictions rather than occasional drinkers who have knocked it on the head.