Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
We could have ‘trying hard, hardly relevant’ as the new thread name.
Courtesy of this random boomer who stumbled across her book release announcement and decided to absolutely spark her out
03FB1D27-482B-4AC3-84C6-B5549EE4089B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 70
I'm an attractive, able bodied, Oxford and private school educated upper class white woman from London- but I don't look like the normal CEO!

Honestly Grace, you may be younger than most CEOs, but you are literally a carbon copy of every woman in a position of power.

I know first hand how difficult it can be carving out a professional career as a woman, but I also know how much easier it has been for me being a white British woman with no noticeable accent and a good education. I will walk into an office for an interview and I will see countless faces that look just like mine. I will hear accents that sound just like mine. For a lot of women, this just isn't the case. I don't want to speak on behalf of these women, but I can only imagine how frustrating it must be opening a mainstream magazine and seeing the poster girl for white privilege staring back at you and claiming how hard it has been for her to be successful because of how she looks.

I am in no way denying that sexism in the workplace is a huge problem, it is and it fucking sucks. But something about insanely privileged people like Grace using their gender as a way to garner sympathy and praise... it just rubs me the wrong way?

• Heart
Reactions: 68

Tcm1291

New follower of this thread here.
I stumbled upon Grace a few years ago and was impressed by her drive and determination at such a young age. She portrayed herself as go-getter and while she acknowledged being privileged, it came off as someone who was upper middle class but of the less monied sort- Private school on scholarship, £25/pm pocket money, Saturday job and struggling to pay her University fees etc. So, while I recognised her to be a privileged girl, I didn't realise the extent of it, given that she downplays it to an amazing extent.

I am SHOCKED at how duplicitous this girl is when it comes to her background. Thanks to info on this thread I've found out about her real background and her parents.

Her Mother is the daughter of a Sir, who founded one of the largest contracting firms in the UK which owned the Cunard Line and QE2 and the Ritz! He had obituaries in world leading broadsheets following his death and has his own Wikipedia page for God sake!

Her Mother is a gifted musician, who was a senior curator for the V&A until January (her knighted father was interestingly on the board of trustees in the 80s). The Mothers Grandfather was a sucessful, Oxbridge educated solicitor, who died relatively young in WWII, so he didn't leave behind a huge amount of wealth but he was married to a notable painter who was also extremely well educated and from a wealthy background, that allowed Graces Grandfather to enjoy an expensive private education and move in rarefied circles.

Furthermore, the Mothers great grandfather was a celebrated musician and the youngest member of the Leeds Orchestra at 14 years old back in the early 1900s and her step brother is a famous musician and song writer. The maternal side of her family is extemely upper crust and affluent on a scale an ordinary person can't fathom, given that Graces Grandfather was worth millions when he died and was known as a "tycoon".

That's not counting in Graces Father who we know is also extemely successful, if from a less notable background.

How this woman can sit there and say she is entirely "self-made" and has had no help, apart from an expensive private education, is beyond me. It's not all about being given money- it's also about the contacts, the life experiences and access to opportunities that such a privileged background affords you and she fails to acknowledge this. It is undeniable that these factors have played a huge part in her success. Case in point- she went to Oxford on a Music degree and surprise, surprise, she comes from a long line of talented and successful musicians and Oxbridge graduates. Can you sit there and tell me that this had nothing to do with her getting there?!

The mind boggles and the fact that she plays the "genteel" poverty card just sticks in my throat and quite frankly disgusts me. Talk about not acknowledging your privilege when that's all she claims to do... I honestly do wonder if her followed would be quite so keen on her if they knew all of this. I for one seriously doubt it.

P.S As an aside, regarding the extemely tanned body and oddly white boobs. She wrote a post years ago where she recommended fake tanning with a bandeau bikini top on. Apparently the resultant "tan-line" contours the breasts and is a desirable aesthetic 🙈🤣

P.S.S The 'Sir' grandfather, while extemely successful and wealthy, was also obsessed with "scaling and growth" with regards to his company. It ended up in disaster when the company overstretched itself buying one company too many and found itself in hundreds of millions of pounds of debt and caused quite a commotion in the business world. Hmm... Sounds familiar, if on a much smaller scale. Perhaps it's a familial trate and Grace has such an obsession with CEO Boss Babe image because she is desperate to achieve the power, wealth and success her Grandfather did. Before it went tumbling down of course! Though his money was safe in offshore accounts, so no harm done. Wink wink.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 63

greenvelvet

VIP Member
Us: Grace, your family spent £32,000+ a year on your core education - an amount a lot of uni students will never pay off for their three-year Bachelors degree (excluding maintenance and cost of living, but that’s easily covered by the amount your parents paid for just two years of your education), and if they spent the same on your siblings, that’s £128,000 a year total - excluding extracurriculars and holidays. The average wage in the UK is less than a quarter of that, and less than a year of your secondary school tuition fees. You hired your dad, a very experienced management consultant, in your “fledgling” company, likely for nowhere near the amount he usually charges if anything at all. The company you “work with” advertises that they do all the work for influencers like you in setting up your/their companies. You paid some of your micro influencers 30p whilst owning multiple accessory pieces that are each worth nearly £1,000, buying a house worth nearly £2 million, paying hundreds of thousands in CASH in the process, renovating it, going travelling on another continent for two months, and renting another flat in London. The way you treated your micro influencers is horrendous given your personal wealth. Also are you a vegan anymore cos girl that sushi???

Grace: ...isn’t it gross that vulnerability (openness) is demanded of successful women like me? why do I need to be likeable? (Also pleaaase don’t criticise anything I do!!!)

• Heart
Reactions: 62
7889BD45-463A-4E87-B44D-260033397B61.png

Of course... and from Montana’s story alone there’s clearly more than 6 of them there. Her birthday cake is literally the size of a wedding cake.

Honestly the sense of entitlement here makes me sick. The rules and guidelines seemingly don’t apply them. That’s pretty much a Tory mindset IMO.

I had a baby during lockdown and we’ve missed out on so much support, grandparent cuddles etc etc. It’s been an incredibly tough and isolated experience but like the majority of people we’re doing what we have to do to get through a pandemic. These influencers have a moral obligation to set a good example to their followers and they fail time and time again.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 50

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
That ring looks like something you’d find on the hand of a short, bald, leathery fat old man who thinks he’s a gangster. I’m thinking the Dad from Matilda here. Weird choice for a young woman.

• Haha
Reactions: 49

Jlurking

Excuse my psychoanalysis I think quarantine is just getting to me lol but I'm convinced part of Grace's insistence on being seen as a CEO rather than a normal influencer who has merch is because her parents (and their social circles) wouldn't take her seriously otherwise.

I really get the vibe that her family are very competitive and I'm sure the 'academics' in her family probably wouldn't take her seriously as an influencer who posts butt selfies, but probably more so if she is a CEO of 3 companies. I'm sure being an influencer was fine while she was at uni, but now she's graduated I imagine there's pressure for her to prove herself further. Just my view from knowing some very wealthy families similar to Grace's where this dynamic is quite intense.

Reactions: 48

Tippled

Is it just me or in the picture of grace in hello mag in the brown gucci blazer is there a heading about how she had to work full time as part of her upbringing. I couldn’t see it properly and definitely won’t be buying the magazine but it looked like it said that. If so, another attempt to come across as if she came from a working class family and had to grind to get to where she is
I haven't seen it (thankfully), but even so, there's a world of difference between working from a young age because you have to, ie to support your family, support yourself, or to have any chance of landing the career you want as you have zero connections; and working when you have the safety blanket of family wealth to fall back on and network opportunites. If she says I worked because I wanted to or my family thought it would be good for me, fine, but if it's to try and further this image that she has built herself up from the ground with no help then that's gross. Again, nought wrong with being from wealth and having more opportunities than most growing up, it's the weirdly trying to make out like she grew up on the breadline. Funny enough, I doubt she would have wanted that to actually be the case, and to actually have grown up without money.

It has been mentioned in a previous thread (I've been lurking a while) about the way she dresses as well, the 'working class aesthetic'. Lots of my friends growing up were tormented for wearing similar (obvs non designer) clothes, called 'chavs' or whatever, treated differently, found it hard to secure work etc, I'm not saying that anyone owns a style, but it is a weird one to be emulating. Especially when most of it costs thousands, more than many families it's lifted from have to live off a month.

I do feel quite passionately about this because I grew up on a council estate, and many really intelligent, bright, motivated and driven people I grew up with have had so many hurdles to jump, faced so many challenges and although are more than capable have found it hard to escape their lot in life. Yet you have someone who has been handed it on a plate, who is trying to make out that they have had the same struggles. It's fine to want social equality and push for it, back the politics that supports it, try and empathise with others and relate to your audience- but to make it part of your brand when it's not is horrible. Writing a book about it is a slap in the face and all. When she says about being held to a higher standard than other influencers as well, that's because she places them upon herself and then moans?

Ps sorry for the long message, I have a teething toddler asleep on me so have too much time on my hands for once haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

Jlurking

'Someone give me ideas on what to buy to treat myself! I know most have you have lost your jobs because of the recession brought on by the pandemic, but after buying my 1.8m house, spending half of that on a refurb, restocking my new walk in wardrobe with some non vegan designer goodies, buying a hot tub for my garden, buying at least one cartier bracelet, going on two holidays despite the pandemic and hiring an MUA every time I go on a night out that breaks social distancing rules with people who aren't from my household or bubble, I just feel like I deserve something that makes me feel a bit special you know? ☺'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

nomaddie

Chatty Member
nah traveling right now (unless absolutely required for work or ill family member etc) is selfish and privileged and we should all be limiting it for the greater good. grace is being obnoxious and selfish flaunting her constant traveling.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
How this woman can sit there and say she is entirely "self-made" and has had no help, apart from an expensive private education, is beyond me. It's not all about being given money- it's also about the contacts, the life experiences and access to opportunities that such a privileged background affords you and she fails to acknowledge this. It is undeniable that these factors have played a huge part in her success. Case in point- she went to Oxford on a Music degree and surprise, surprise, she comes from a long line of talented and successful musicians and Oxbridge graduates. Can you sit there and tell me that this had nothing to do with her getting there?!
Omg thank you so much for saying this! Rant incoming...
People really fail to realise it’s not just about if your parents have given you money or paid for your degree. I think people don’t understand that if you have parents who went to university it makes a huge difference - the fact that they understand how it works and the pressure and whether it’s important you go to a top uni for your subject or not makes a huge difference. Around A levels I kept seeing people flexing that they went to a state school when their parents went to Oxford and it’s just like...sorry so what you went to a state school? Most people do. You’ve grown up thinking and knowing that a) university is a place for ‘people like you’ and b) Oxford is a possibility for you. This wasn’t the case for me with two parents who had no education past GCSEs. I went to a great school but I never even thought to apply for Oxbridge even though I had the grades (which I only really know in hindsight having been through uni myself now) and at the time thought it was full of rich posh kids, not a place for people like me. I don’t mind at all that I didn’t go there but these people like Grace who think it doesn’t make any difference at all that her parents are educated and middle class even aside from the money absolutely infuriates me.
Plus, she didn’t get in the first time. She reapplied for Music after not getting a place for PPE. Being in a position to reapply and being encouraged to do so is a privilege in itself, my parents wanted me to go off to uni as soon as possible, wouldn’t have understood why I’d want to reapply as long as I had some offers from other unis, working class families don’t often understand taking risks like that. That’s just a class attitude difference tbh. My parents were even worried about me taking on the huge loan and wanted me to study something like Law (which I did end up doing) because they thought it would guarantee me a job afterwards (false) if I'd said I wanted to study something like Music, they would've been so confused - what job would I get with that? Having parents who encourage you to pursue a degree you're passionate about or enjoy over a degree that will be useful for you in getting a job is yet another privilege to be honest. I don't begrudge that my parents pushed me to Law because I do have a fantastic job now but I do wish I had been able to study something like English Lit first and then convert to Law after.
Not to mention playing an instrument is mega expensive. How much money did her parents spend on all the music lessons, the exams, the instruments themselves? At primary school I got some music lessons free for being from a disadvantaged background but when that funding stopped my parents couldn't afford for me to continue.
And you know what, good for her. She's had a great life and great opportunities, I'm not begrudging her that. She can't be blamed for being born rich and I'm not about that. But all we're asking for is she has a bit of humility about it, and realises how fortunate and lucky she's been to be born into a family like that and not act like everything she has, she's worked for in the same way that people from working class backgrounds have to. Honestly makes me sick some of these people banging on about being 'self made' ffs.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

MIClovergirl

VIP Member
That's hilarious. The Sun. The same newspaper that previously published this article about her:

Which led to her writing a whole rant on twitter. Here's the first tweet in the thread:

View attachment 235461

Tweeted 'from Seillans, France'.
She does make me laugh.
She’s ridiculous. Fair enough, debunk the rumours about you dropping out of uni but the whole thread is her being like ‘i know I’m privileged but here’s why I’m actually not privileged and it played no part in my success’ which is complete bs. These scholarship opportunities are only known and open to her because of her privilege and contacts.

She also potentially took that scholarship away from someone who could only attend that school via that scholarship. That’s seriously just not something to brag about. Your million pound parents only letting you attend a school if you get a scholarship isn’t a lack of privilege or humble, someone else would depend on that scholarship. Her parents weren’t gonna send her to a state school down in Croydon if she didn’t get the scholarships. She just finds it impossible to straight up admit her privilege without adding any caveats to the story which to me completely shows she just isn’t aware of privilege. No one ever said she didn’t have to work hard she just was born way closer to the finish line and given a map. Getting a scholarship doesn’t take away from that.

She’s also mentioned scholarships being grade or music based. The amount of money that had to be put into music lessons to get you to that level in the first place is insane. Again, she doesn’t realise the privilege in this because she’s never had to do without it. The musical interest in her family means that thay was a given, whereas families without that kind of money just wouldn’t be able to afford instruments, lessons, exams etc.

if they were grade based, it’s also a knock on effect. Once you go to one private school or are exposed to that society, which grace was born into, of course you can achieve those grades with that level of education. She didn’t start off in a shitty state school because it was all that was available to her and then work her way into private school using state school resources. I don’t think she grasps the disadvantages of life and how she was born with almost every single privilege, whether she had to work still or not. The fact that she grew up in London’s richest borough also gave her much better catchment area access to the very best schools, private or not. People from less rich families wouldn’t even be able to afford to be in those catchment areas (like does she not realise some parents literally have to fake their address to get their child into a state school that they have a slight chance at making it into a uni at the end)

Rant over sorry this annoys me to the next level

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45

fwooper

VIP Member
Look, I’m not her biggest fan and there are definitely things she could do differently, but jeeeez let the (only 23 year old) girl live. We’re all supposed to take annual leave, it’s encouraged! - why else would employees get a set amount of holiday a year which you aren’t allowed to roll over? She’s going to a place which she is allowed to go to, and isn’t lying about it - much better than her behaviour during the trip to France. And she’s having fun with her friends, also allowed...
I mean technically she isn't following the rules - you're only meant to be going on holiday with one other household. Her trips to France & now Greece have been with multiple people from different households.

I don't think it's the travelling itself that peeves people. Every influencer is galavanting away at the moment. But I think what frustrates people specifically w/ Grace is how the behaviour is at odds with all the claims she makes: that she never treats herself, takes time off, that she wasn't planning to take any holidays after her big South America trip last year. The latter claim was soon followed up to a trip to Dubai LOL. I think the frustration is more with how she tries to set herself apart from 'other' influencers - criticising them for doing fast fashion hauls, but then conveniently doesn't mind doing other unsustainable 'influencer' things like taking multiple long haul flights a year which is arguably one of the most environmentally damaging things you can do.

And, at the end of the day, sometimes you just wanna vent about rich people partying abroad without a care in the world while some of us lowly peasants are stuck at home working low paid jobs having not seen some of our friends/family in months.

fwooper

VIP Member
And this is why she knows exactly what she is doing when she says things like 'I hired my dad', or 'I was nearly kicked out for not paying my tuition fees' - she says things which are technically the truth but without the relevant context to give the impression that she isn't as privileged as she actually is. e.g. with the tuition fee thing, it really just sounds like it was late payment rather than being unable to pay at all (because how was she able to resolve it so quickly if she apparently couldn't afford it?) And the hiring her dad thing: most people who follow her probably aren't aware of her dad's existing career and wealth, so when she says she hired her dad, I think most people would assume it's a lovely quaint story of Grace hiring him when he needed a better paying job or something. They likely have no idea he's actually an incredibly successful business consultant who is doing these services for Grace on the cheap, and she knows that. These intentionally vague statements, although obviously disingenuous to us because we've dug a little deeper, are probably quite successful in making her appear 'self-made' and relatable to her followers.

• Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
So I sent graces mua a dm and she didnt even respond but posted this on her story. How fragile do you have to be to consider this a ‘hate dm’ youve just gone to do make up on someone whos come back from a foreign country and is refusing to quarantine during a pandemic, how is that hate. Get a grip
88D23D6E-A992-49E4-9AA1-629982FBC1DE.jpeg
B092CCFA-5453-4177-8497-443211967BEC.png

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 44

Noahfence

im legit astonished at how good she is at writing a huge amount of words without actually saying anything

• Haha
Reactions: 44