Going grey.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I am in my late 20s and more than half of my growing hair is now grey. Do I dye it or embrace the grey? I know grey/silver is fashionable at the moment but I feel so frumpy. Trying hard not to touch it but haven't seen my hairdresser in 9 months so struggling with the temptation to do a box dye.

Reactions: 5
I’ve been dyeing mine for 30 years, before I even had any grey hairs, and there’s no way I want to stop, even though the roots are a pain (but you can use sprays in between a full colour). I think the box dyes are fine but don’t go too dark. I use a mid/chestnut brown.

Reactions: 3
I’m asking myself the same question! And my short answer would be - embrace it!

And the not short answer: Had my first grey at 12 (apparently common in my family). Started box dying my hair in my teens (for “fashion”) and into my 20s. I stopped dying my hair in my mid 20s as I couldn’t be bothered/didn’t care about what shade of brown was fashionable/traumatised after terrible diy ombré (I’m SE Asian with very very dark brown hair.)

I’m mid/late 30s now (not 50% grey, maybe a solid 35% on top. Mid layers are 60% grey so I have to be careful when it is windy!) but can pass for much younger so I have the same issue with how people perceive me (as a potentially scruffy and frumpy 20-something year old). I have on occasions reached for semi permanent dye if I’ve had a really really important event - not necessary but I do a lot of public speaking and at the time having no greys made me feel more confident.

And my point? If you want to dye it because you want to that’s ok but don’t feel like you need to. My friends and colleagues have never commented, and probably not even noticed, whether I’m grey/not grey. (The dodgy ombré got comments, so I know my friend aren’t shy to mention bad hair LOL)

Reactions: 2
So I am in my late 20s and more than half of my growing hair is now grey. Do I dye it or embrace the grey? I know grey/silver is fashionable at the moment but I feel so frumpy. Trying hard not to touch it but haven't seen my hairdresser in 9 months so struggling with the temptation to do a box dye.
Embrace it. Try to just live with it for now and then when hairdressers are back up and running go and get a fresh new cut. If you want to colour it, get a professional to do it and work with the grey and get it brighter with silver tones through it or whatever but yeah just embrace it, don’t try to cover it up with box dyes!!!

Reactions: 5
I got my first grey when I was 15 and then nothing. This last year I have had more and am not yet 30. I had my hair highlighted last month for the first time since summer...and honestly, I prefer the natural colour I had. The blonde doesn't look great against my skin tone, even though that is what I had for years. I think I really got used to my natural colour and now this is jarring. Anyway, I am not sure if I will get it coloured again.
If you have grey, you can use purple shampoo on it to stop any brassiness.

Im in a similar situation, I’m 28 and probably 50% grey, more in certain parts of my hair. Box dying it since the age of 18, I haven’t dyed it for 3 months.
I have decided to embrace it, it’s going grey so quickly I don’t think I can be bothered with the upkeep 😂 my dad started going grey early, as did my aunt. She dyed it for a long time until she had gone completely grey, and I don’t want to do the same and leave it so long that it’s gone completely grey and I have to grow it out with totally grey roots.

From what I’ve read online it’s the growing out part that’s hardest, once you do it most people seem to be glad.

Reactions: 4
Embrace it. I’ve had grey hairs since about 16. I’m 34 now and I have lots of grey hairs, while most of my hair is very dark brown. Mine isn’t going grey from the roots though, I have just lots of full grey/silver strands throughout. I’m just embracing it, it really doesn’t bother me as ageing is completely natural.

• Heart
I have dyed my hair since I was in school so it is quite hard to tell. But once at the hairdressers they mentioned that I was half grey! I was mortified but it can’t be helped. For me, I look a show at the minute after not dying my hair since December and can’t wait to get the roots sorted!

Reactions: 1
I'm late 40s and have white coming through (worse than grey!!), especially on one side of my head. I'm naturally light-to-mid brown, although very few hairs in that colour come through nowadays.

I tried to embrace it but it knocked my confidence, so I decided to bleach it, then go over the top with white-blonde, and I couldn't be happier.

If I had grey hairs coming through, I would have tried to get that grey-blonde-silver look that is very popular at the moment - I think it looks lovely.

I grew my dyed hair out during lockdown. It's still more dark hair than grey . I don't mind it and I've always got the choice to recolour if I choose.

I don't like my own grey coming through. It looks terribly coarse, dry and wiry. Gives me a dusty look, too.

I'd have to spends loads at the hairdressers on upkeep it if I let it go.

If you feel frumpy, dye it. It's not about embracing it or not embracing it, if you're feeling unhappy about yourself with it then give the box dye a go and see how you feel 😁

I'm 40 this year, the grey is starting to creep out, more than the odd strand now. I just ignore it but I've never been one for hair or make up. I spend my life outdoors for the most part, usually with some sort of hat on. If it was making me unhappy or frumpy I'd probably look at doing something about it.

I'm 36 and my hair grows completely grey now. I use a box dye every 3ish weeks as i detest the grey roots everywhere and i find it ages me having a halo of white. If you can cope then wait but i couldn't be dealing with feeling frumpy. My friend has let her grey grow out for months and it has aged her in my opinion but does that really matter...no. at least she hasn't got a build up of loads of box dyes like me.

I’ve had grey/white hair from before I even turned 20 it’s more silver/white than grey. You can see it more in certain light. It used to really bother me. Fortunately my hair is a light, mousy brown so I just get blonde foils through my natural colour and tbh you can’t see it. I would never put a box dye near my hair though always go to the hairdressers

I have very grey hair and have done for years and I chop between dying it and embracing it. There’s a great tag on Instagram called #grombre I highly suggest having a look if you’re not sure what to do. Perhaps move to semi permanent dyes if you’re going to cover them? The damage won’t the same as permanent dyes.

I probably had my 1st grey hair in my teens ( naturally brunette) not surprising though as my mum was going grey at 18 and eventually ended up with pure white hair.
I so wish I was able to embrace the grey look, it looks so elegant on other women.
I have my hair coloured at the hairdressers regularly ( only to my natural colour) but recently fancied a change . . Had a few lighter strands pulled through.
I HATE it . .
My partner is fully grey . . I love it on him.
I think men look great with grey hair.

I'm 36 and my hair grows completely grey now. I use a box dye every 3ish weeks as i detest the grey roots everywhere and i find it ages me having a halo of white. If you can cope then wait but i couldn't be dealing with feeling frumpy. My friend has let her grey grow out for months and it has aged her in my opinion but does that really matter...no. at least she hasn't got a build up of loads of box dyes like me.
I had a huge build up of box dye so had it cut to a short bob and recoloured at salon and now just do my regrowth with the same colour the salon uses and it looks so much healthier and fresher.

I would speak to a hairdresser about going lighter so that it incorporates grey/white gradually....my friend did this (naturally a brunette then grey early 20s) so went blonder then gradually stopped as the grey/silver became more prevalent. I think its hard when you are not fully grey/white and Id struggle to embrace it so I can understand how you feel.
I'd do what makes you feel the best, there's no 'right' way in my opinion x

What colour is your natural hair colour? If it is blond, you need not worry too much, as the Grey won’t show up so much.

I embraced the Grey 3 years ago. I now have a mixture of my naturally dark hair, grey and a bit of blond lowlights. I also have long hair and when it is straightened, it does look really good. People have often asked me if I have specifically had it dyed that colour, which always makes me laugh really. 🤣 The irony. 😂

But, I was in my mid 30s when I first started to go Grey and I must admit, I did find it hard to handle because the grey patch was like a badgers streak of white which rapidly spread out over the years.

What I did was get blond lowlights done at the hairdresser, so that the shock was lessened. I then used to get the roots done every 4 weeks, but that was costing me a fortune, when I felt the money could have been used for holidays and stuff.

I would say go with which ever colour you feel comfortable with, or maybe ask your hairdresser for highlights/lowlights.