Girls comics nostalgia - Bunty Mandy etc.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember Bunty, Mandy, Judy and Princess Tina which was shortened to TIna in the end I think. As I became a teen I would get Jackie every week which I loved, especially the agony aunts Cathy and Claire and they had some stunning posters.

Reactions: 3
My grandparents used to get me Twinkle every week. Looking at images now, it looks so old fashioned! :oops:

Reactions: 2
My grandparents used to get me Twinkle every week. Looking at images now, it looks so old fashioned! :oops:
Oh I used to love that too, I was reading it before I started school even. Used to love Nurse Nancy. The illustrations were lovely. There's nothing like that now for little girls.

I loved Bunty, Mandy and Judy.

I know 'The Four Marys' and 'The Comp' were both Bunty.
Fieldy, Raddy, Simpy and Cotty were The Four Marys.
Becky and her twin Hayley in The Comp. Claire who was deaf and her friend Nikki. A blonde girl called Laura I think, 2 guys Hodge and another guy? I remember the two bullies Morag and Pippa. Was 'My mum says' Margaret from The Comp too?

I think 'Miss Angel' was Mandy and which magazine was 'Wee Slavey' about the maid Nellie Perks and her 'ladies' Miss Alice and Miss Flora?

There was Valda, the girl with the magic crystal and I can remember a story about a girl who pretended to be blind, but really wasn't. Was she called Alison or else her sister was Alison?

Was SJ the school bully in 'The Four Marys' or was it a different story?

I can't remember too much from Judy. Anyone remember anything from there?
You seem to have a fantastic memory 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I used to love all the free gifts every so often and got so excited when the magazine popped through the door. We always had them delivered and I'm sure it was free of charge as Dad had his daily paper delivered too.
The gifts were usually plastic bangles or little brooches or sometimes * gasp* a small make up bag 😻 which was treasured.
Feeling very nostalgic now 👧

Does anyone remember Patches magazine, think it was around the time of Jackie and Blue Jeans. Also loved getting the annuals at Christmas, was always a highlight in my stocking

Does anyone remember Patches magazine, think it was around the time of Jackie and Blue Jeans. Also loved getting the annuals at Christmas, was always a highlight in my stocking
I loved the annuals at Christmas, they were a lovely treat to look forward to, they would be advertised heavily in the mags in the run up

I was a 90s kid but enjoyed also reading my mother's annuals from the 60s, she still had a couple. And my cousin had the 80s ones which seemed very retro compared to the 90s ones

Bunty, Mandy and Judy for me

Does anyone remember when Mandy and Judy amalgamated (early 90s?) into 'M&J', it was slightly cooler than Bunty. I remember being disappointed when M&J ended (maybe 1997 ish?) and some of the stories like The Comp got absorbed into Bunty

Don't remember Patches at all but maybe it was regional but I do recall buying ' rug making for beginners ' and started one but made a complete hash of it so gran had to take over lol 😁

You seem to have a fantastic memory 😁
I remember The Secret Ballet from Judy. The story was that a famous ballerina ran a secret ballet school from a Scottish castle and she took talented girls from adopted homes who were neglected but talented in Ballet. She sort of abducted them so it wouldn't be legal these days but it was a great mystery story in the late 50s early 60s.
I had a great home life but I wanted to be taken to that school and study ballet with the mysterious famous teacher 😁

Wasn't "The Comp" from the 'Nikki' comic? I bought that comic religiously every week/fortnight (can't remember!) I loved it. But I ADORED the Mandy and Bunty annuals every Christmas.
Unfortunately Nikki comic was short lived. It only lasted about 4 years.... From about 84/85. I was gutted when it ceased publication. I remember getting the free yellow 'sunshine comb' with it's first edition!

ETA.... I googled and found this! The first edition cover and there's the comb! 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20221013_014350.jpg

Last edited:
Although I was a boy, I remember reading and enjoying edition of Misty, which I believe was aimed at girls and had macabre/ghost/horror-type stories in.
I used to read my brothers Dandy from cover to cover, and I think Dennis the menace was in that
👺

I remember Bunty, Mandy, Judy and Princess Tina which was shortened to TIna in the end I think. As I became a teen I would get Jackie every week which I loved, especially the agony aunts Cathy and Claire and they had some stunning posters.
The posters in Jackie were fab. My whole bedroom wall was filled with posters from Jackie.

I started getting Cosmopolitan at about 19 but it just didn't have the charm of Jackie and all the old ones. Maybe I was too naive but the articles seemed too 'grown up ' for little old me 😇
Think I was a late developer so never really stuck with it 😺

Wasn't "The Comp" from the 'Nikki' comic? I bought that comic religiously every week/fortnight (can't remember!) I loved it. But I ADORED the Mandy and Bunty annuals every Christmas.
Unfortunately Nikki comic was short lived. It only lasted about 4 years.... From about 84/85. I was gutted when it ceased publication. I remember getting the free yellow 'sunshine comb' with it's first edition!

ETA.... I googled and found this! The first edition cover and there's the comb! 🤣🤣

View attachment 1646603
Amazon product

Have fallen down a rabbit hole as I didn't know you could still buy things like this! 😁

• Wow
I am so amazed to learn that these comics lasted as long as they did! I remember them from the 60s, Bunty and Twinkle. There was usually a cut-out doll figure on the back, with various outfits that you could overlay with little tabs.
Things moved a lot slower in those days and I think we were all the better off for it 😌
Amazon product

Have fallen down a rabbit hole as I didn't know you could still buy things like this! 😁
Amazing. My Christmas sorted with Bunty and co. and a few glasses of sherry 🍷

I saw the thread on magazines and thought I'd start a thread on these, I loved Bunty and M&J comics in the 90s. They had a letters page, picture stories and photo stories. I remember the Four Marys being a classic picture story, and Luv Lisa. There were lots of Victorian-themed stories about orphans, boarding school stories, horse stories, ballet stories...they were all fairly innocent (parents wouldn't have to worry).

There were Christmas annuals too which I got every year and loved, and "picture stories" which were sort of mini books (longer versions of the typical stories from the comic).

I believe these comics ended in the early 00s, they gave me so many hours of entertainment in the 90s. Does anyone else remember them fondly or remember particular stories? I also had my older aunt's Judy annuals passed onto me which I loved.

(I also loved Twinkle as a younger child which was a comic for young kids - Nurse Nancy!)
Loved twinkle when I was very young! That dolls hospital! I remember getting the Xmas annual a few times