Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

annagerda83

not seeing much compassion here
Historically speaking, you do know that during the 1900s under the invasion of the Dutch, British, Portuguese, and the Japanese their president had to make a pact with Aceh to borrow their resources to fend off them who tried to force Christianity by killing their people? And in return this pact allows Aceh to be part of the country but in return they are allowed to erect their own laws apart from Democracy? You do realise they were once had their own kingdoms then turned into separate states before uniting as a republic? You cant segregate a discussion without looking at their historical background

You probably missed reading my reply but as stated above, it was the judge’s decision and her family to impose corporal punishment.

Do you think they jus stand there and do nothing about it? They complained and they rallied about the issue in Aceh but it’s not as simple as pushing Boris to the parliament to confess. It has to do with history, and frankly speaking, to be able to held a protest let alone a massive one is a privilege in itself.

You can’t participate in a rally to fight against a cause without having proper access to medicine, you have to be healthy to participate, you must have a job you can leave for a day to participate in a rally and still getting paid, to have the resource, etc. to keep demanding them to fight the invincible fight just because you don’t see them on a daily basis doesn’t mean they didn’t try their best.

If we’re against corporal law then we should abolish any types of death punishment. and to advocate for fairness in jail so all prisoners, no matter their crime shouldn’t get beaten to death by the other prisoners or the prison guard.

After all, beating someone isn’t very compassionate no matter the crime, gender, religion, height, weight, colour

Pipsy

VIP Member
Anyone reading VIP Jason Stanley's tweets? Jane Clare Jones took the bait. I think he's better off ignored.

annagerda83

I agree that all religions are problematic but I don't agree that it's human nature to turn a blind eye to child abuse. I think the vast majority of people, regardless of their religion would stand up against it. Because being disgusted by child abuse is human nature. That's what human's do.

Edited to add. I have a Masters degree in Women and Religion. I have studied Islam and lots of other religions at academic level. I don't get my information from media.
We don’t even turn a blind eye (not only to child abuse) but other stuffs as well (women being raped, etc). I understand that there are majors in universities to learn about any religion but I do hope you learned not only to read but also comprehend whatever it is being written in our religious books that it is people themselves that use religions to justify their behaviour and it’s a different thing than having religion actually telling them to do it.

if you are or were a Muslim once then it’d be easier to understand your point because at least you’ve walked in the same shoes as the other muslims who live on a DIFFERENT degree of life from one another.

frankly, the English translation of the Quran is a mess, that’s why most people misinterpret it. If it’s violent religion, there won’t be 7 billion people on earth.

Reducing woman’s right issue to segregate them like this will take us nowhere. Religions are one factor but not the only lone factor in this one. Take the US as a starter on their decision about abortion. The majority of the decision makers aren’t even muslim

Last edited:

annagerda83

I assume you mean population density? What part would that play on Woman's rights. The countries are a mixture of poor and exceptionally wealthy countries. When I used the example that Mexico is a violent country that is because the homicide rate is 29/100k compared to 0.01/100k in mine. Now I never stated all Mexicans where violent nor was all of Mexico. This is the same with Islam - not all followers are violent or misogynistic but a large percentage are compared to other modern religions. In Catholicism/Christianity/Judaism we do not have public displays where people are whipped for affairs outside marriage but certain islamic countries this happens, stoning or being killed by gang justice for blasphemy it happens again only in islamic countries.
The whippings and stoning are mentioned in the Quran, yes, but in the excerpts itself it is said that those types of corporal punishment are:

1) only applied in countries applying Wahabi believes and Sharia Law, so the punishment are NOT mandatory in other countries that apply either the belief or laws. Most countries reject both because they’re questionable in practice

2) Not a top priority

3) why is it not top priority? Because:

A) we are told to be compassionate and forgiving and not harbour revenge
B) it will be left to the judge’s decision

3) therefore:

A) if the corporal punishment were then chosen, it’s because someone (e.g: family members) do not want to cast forgiveness and demand them to be whipped or stoned —> then this is the fault of these individuals for opting violence as a solution
B) the judge can decide on whether to apply corporal punishment to certain crimes or to make them pay fines or do jail time instead