Gas and Elec increase.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My bills are relatively cheap as I live alone in a 2 bed flat but I thought I would upload this comparison of my electric bill to demonstrate the increase

19th Jan - 18th Feb
81.89 kWh used
Charge - £21.71

19th March - 18th April
77.29 kwh used
Charge - £33.10

this is electric only. I live alone in a 2 bed flat. I am with octopus energy. I went onto a new tariff mid March due to my current tariff ending.
are you on fixed? 🤔

I'm with Octopus Energy and the increase is crazy

My bills are relatively cheap as I live alone in a 2 bed flat but I thought I would upload this comparison of my electric bill to demonstrate the increase

19th Jan - 18th Feb
81.89 kWh used
Charge - £21.71

19th March - 18th April
77.29 kwh used
Charge - £33.10

this is electric only. I live alone in a 2 bed flat. I am with octopus energy. I went onto a new tariff mid March due to my current tariff ending.
How are you only using roughly 2.5kwh a day? I also live alone in a two bed flat and I use about 7.5kwh a day and there’s no way I could get that down.

I don’t have the heating on, turn everything off at the plug when not using, only turn my hot water tank on for one hour in the morning, and hardly cook meals, mostly have salads. Still 7.5kwh a day?

I use between 9-14 kwh electric a day. We are a 3 bed house family of 4 and I’m home all day. I’m trying to cut back but literally can’t see where else I can. I do have a second freezer but it’s used (joys of 2 teenagers) I try to only wash when it’s full and don’t use the dryer unless I have too. Water and heating are gas.

How are you only using roughly 2.5kwh a day? I also live alone in a two bed flat and I use about 7.5kwh a day and there’s no way I could get that down.

I don’t have the heating on, turn everything off at the plug when not using, only turn my hot water tank on for one hour in the morning, and hardly cook meals, mostly have salads. Still 7.5kwh a day?
do you work from home? I am out most of the day for work, I cook myself one meal in the evening and hardly watch telly, will only have one light on in the room im in. I also charge my phone and laptop at work during my working day which also helps slightly

I’ve not posted on this thread before but found it very eye opening.
I’m a family of 3 in a 3 bed semi new build. Our bill went from 104 to 181 with eon. (Moved to a variable tariff as the cheapest fixed rate was 224, my financial advisor told us to do this)
we’ve tried to be more careful since the increase and in the run up, not leaving lights on, we’ve not had the heating on once since March. I’ve got a 1 year old so always said if it was cold I would put it on but even at night his bedroom is about 19/20 degrees which is fine. We do a lot of washing, and we do have a tumbledryer on quite a bit 🙈🙈 but I do hang it all outside when I can but we just don’t have the room to have loads of washing drying all over the house!
ANYWAY, I had another email from eon yesterday saying do a meter reading so I thought why not, I’ll submit it. Then tonight I’ve gone on my account and it says I can change tarriffs so I just clicked on it and got quoted for another variable tarriff but this time only for 165 a month, not sure if it’s cause we’ve not used much or whatever but I’ve gone with that instead. Might be worth looking at if you’re with eon 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ I know it’s only 16 quid but it all adds up!!

Reactions: 2
Just thought I'd update.
So I paid my £269 they insisted that it was going up to. After it being £90 before.
I got my statement today.
I am now £144 in credit after the months usage deductions. 🙃

So it has actually gone up to around £125 a month from £90.
Not up over 150% like they wanted to charge me.

Went online to 'change my monthly amount'
It says "We estimate you should be paying £272 to keep on track"
Sorry? What?

Reactions: 1
Just thought I'd update.
So I paid my £269 they insisted that it was going up to. After it being £90 before.
I got my statement today.
I am now £144 in credit after the months usage deductions. 🙃

So it has actually gone up to around £125 a month from £90.
Not up over 150% like they wanted to charge me.

Went online to 'change my monthly amount'
It says "We estimate you should be paying £272 to keep on track"
Sorry? What?
Octopus tried to do this to me (it wasn't a huge jump like this though!) But I just changed my dd to the same price. I'm budgeting more but putting it into my bank account not into Octopus. I don't want them to have my money sitting in their accounts

Reactions: 2
Octopus tried to do this to me (it wasn't a huge jump like this though!) But I just changed my dd to the same price. I'm budgeting more but putting it into my bank account not into Octopus. I don't want them to have my money sitting in their accounts
This is octopus energy too!

Going to call them and ask them to put it back down! 😑

I stayed with the same supplier the previous owners used and Carried on using the smart meter. After 2 years, I switched suppliers and the device stopped working. I was told by the new supplier they could remotely take over the old device/display. Anyway, that never happened and tbh I wasn’t that bothered about having it anyway. Eon have contacted me to tell me that I’m due a smart meter. It sounds like it’s more than just giving me a new display. They need to get to my meters. I’m just wondering if I can be arsed with the hassle. My electric meter is under my stairs and the washing machine is in front of it. I have to stick my hand through a gap and put my camera on a timer to take a photo of the meter to send my readings 😂 Do they change the whole meters?!

I stayed with the same supplier the previous owners used and Carried on using the smart meter. After 2 years, I switched suppliers and the device stopped working. I was told by the new supplier they could remotely take over the old device/display. Anyway, that never happened and tbh I wasn’t that bothered about having it anyway. Eon have contacted me to tell me that I’m due a smart meter. It sounds like it’s more than just giving me a new display. They need to get to my meters. I’m just wondering if I can be arsed with the hassle. My electric meter is under my stairs and the washing machine is in front of it. I have to stick my hand through a gap and put my camera on a timer to take a photo of the meter to send my readings 😂 Do they change the whole meters?!
They do, yeah, they put a whole new box thing in as far as I'm aware.
They did for ours anyway.