Game Shows

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are your most and least favourite game shows - past and present - and why?

Mine are -

Most Favourite:
  • Lingo (UK) - I find the host, Adil Ray, so charming and entertaining. I also enjoy playing along.
  • The Chase (UK) - Bradley is a good host and the contestants' back stories and how they want to spend their winnings are really interesting. My favourite chaser is the Dark Destroyer, followed by the man with the gorgeous Irish accent. I especially love it when the contestants take the high offer.
  • Tipping Point (UK) - I actually don't understand how it works, but I love the host, Ben, who has the most lovely manners and is always genuinely happy and excited for the contestants when they win big. I like contestants that choose the trade rather than take the cash at the end. I love that contestants have a chance to win prizes throughout the show.
  • Millionaire Hot Seat (AU) - I love that they mix the contestants up. The host is really charming and naturally funny.
  • Deal or No Deal (AU) - It hasn't been on for ages, but I used to love that show.
  • Wheel of Fortune (US) - The host is a bit blah, but he's retiring soon and is going to be replaced by Ryan Seacrest who I don't really like. But, I do like the show's format and the prizes are woweee - very generous.
Least Favourite:
  • The Chase (AU) - the host, Larry, is just so dry and boring ... they should've cast Grant Denyer instead. I used to love the former host (Andrew).
  • Bradley Walsh's Blankety Blank - WTF. Weird.
  • Unbeatable (UK) - I don't like the host and can't get into the show.
Here in NZ, Tipping Point and The Chase play twice every weekday (with new episodes).

Reactions: 1
I do like a good quiz show, and some of the ones you mention fit the bill.
I do like The Chase, and The 1% Club is quite fun too.
I like Lingo but it's basically Wordle and they all annoy me when there is an obvious word and they just can't see it...

I'm looking forward to Deal or No Deal coming back; it was always weirdly entertaining watching Noel and his hippy cult members trying to cheat fate/destiny/put meaning into just picking random boxes. The new host will make it interesting!

I loved Deal or No Deal ... I've never seen the UK version but will search on You Tube.

I wonder why the Irish Chaser isn't on very often - he's seldom mentioned during the piece where Bradley asks the first contestant which Chaser they'd like to take on, and gives him the options.

I loved Deal or No Deal ... I've never seen the UK version but will search on You Tube.

I wonder why the Irish Chaser isn't on very often - he's seldom mentioned during the piece where Bradley asks the first contestant which Chaser they'd like to take on, and gives him the options.
i've not seen other than the British version of Deal Or No Deal; I saw a glimpse of the American one and felt ill.

As for The Chase, I've wondered about that; I just presume he has an actual job.

I noticed today that he (Irish Chaser) was introduced as one of the options, in place of Paul Sinna. I know Paul is suffering ill health - perhaps the Irish Chaser is only a back-up whenever the others are unavailable? I'm sure Bradley mentioned he is a scientist.

Just discovered The Finish Line on iplayer. I like it, the races can be tense at times. Roman Kemp tries too hard, but is a likeable host and nice to see Sarah Green back on TV.

Also really like:

* Richard Osmans House of Games
* Impossible
* The Wheel
* Catchphrase
* Bridge of Lies
* Pointless
* Hit List
* Picture Slam

Lingo I'd like more if Adil Ray wasn't so annoying. Tipping point and the chase only if in mood and nothing else on.

When in America I also love Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune (as ridiculous as it is)

I'm a big fan of The Chase but i find Pointless really dull. Although the most boring quiz show has to be Tenable with Warwick Davies!

I'm a big fan of The Chase but i find Pointless really dull. Although the most boring quiz show has to be Tenable with Warwick Davies!
Tenable I find very much depends on the subjects. If I have no interest I just zone out

I like Impossible of the BBC daytime ones. I think Rick Edwards builds a good rapport with the contestants and it helps they are there all week. It’s also very good at inclusivity.

I like Beat the Chasers as well. It’s probably quite hard to come up with a spin off of a really well received quiz but they have done well with that.

The good ones are the basic ones. The complicated ones with different rounds are just trying too hard to be clever and become hard to follow for a casual viewer.

I do love most quizzes though And will give new formats a go.

Thoughts on the new series of Jeopardy!

I like it but I know people have moaned about Stephen Fry's style.
I'm a big fan of The US version but struggling with the UK one and I think a lot is to do with Stephen Fry. He just isn't right for it.

I also think it's in the wrong slot and maybe even wrong channel. It's not a light hearted quiz, it's closer to mastermind or university challenge I'd say so should be more of an early evening slot.

Reactions: 2
Like:

The Chase
Beat the Chasers
The 1% Club
Impossible

Ok:

Lingo
Catchphrase

Dislike:

Deal or No Deal
Tenable
Lightning
Jeopardy
Mastermind
Pointless

Giving the new wheel of fortune a go. Glad to see it’s not just celebrity contestants like they have made catchphrase and family fortunes

Giving the new wheel of fortune a go. Glad to see it’s not just celebrity contestants like they have made catchphrase and family fortunes
feels a bit flat at the moment and the audience is very quickly getting on my nerves

Loving it!
---
OK this seems odd. Why extend to an hour?!

Last edited:
I don’t remember Bradley doing it! Just John Leslie and Nicky Campbell. Not sure I like Graham doing it
An hour is a bit long for essentially one type of puzzle
It's the same problem as Jeopardy. They've dragged them both out to an hour

They are 30 mins in the USA , with ads, and it works.