Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mum.est2014

I had it so bad about 5 years ago, never ever felt pain like it! I didn’t have them out but I did drastically change my diet. I found ice cream, cheese and pork where the biggest offenders. I cut those out completely and not had an attack since. Good luck!

Lynseyp

VIP Member
I had my gallbladder removed Wednesday last week, i have recovered well however as i do a manual job I'm not going to rush back i am entitled to Company Sick Pay so i will return when im ready to.
As for eating - i had to go on a low carb diet as my liver was very fatty i eat wholemeal bread, eggs, skinless chicken and lots of vege. I'm determined to lose the weight i need to (3 Stone) and hope to achieve this.
Everyone recovers differently, you know your own body but one thing i will say is rest as much as possible.

Anybody here ever have gallstones?? Any advice, other than avoiding fatty foods, which I am doing. Cocodamol and buscopan seem to make the pain go within an hour or so now. But I’m always on edge now , struggle to sleep scared I’ll awake in the pain. Terrified to eat in case it sets the pain off. It’s controlling my life and making me miserable. I’m sure anyone who’s had them knows the pain, for me it’s a million times worse than childbirth (and my little one is only 12 weeks so that’s still fresh in my mind too). Anyone had gallbladder out? Did it help? Can you now eat what you like again for example a kfc or Nando’s as a treat every now and again etc. Xx

Hi everyone, I haven’t updated for a while... ended up getting pancreatitis in the end (imagine this it was honestly 100x worse than the gallstones pain!!!) I couldn’t stop screaming. Now been in hospital a week and a half recovering from the pancreatitis. And have just had my gallbladder removed (as in I came back from theatre to the ward about 3 hours ago now). Feeling in a fair bit of pain but so relieved it’s now done. Fingers crossed for a good and speedy recovery and to be able to live a mostly normal life now (and hopefully I’ll even be able to eat Christmas dinner without pain / fear).
Thank you all so much for your help and advice, very much appreciated. If anyone has any advice on the surgery recovery do let me know (it was keyhole surgery luckily) xx

Cjh78

Chatty Member
What is anyone’s experience with having gallstones and taking the contraceptive pill? Does the pill aggravate them at all? Thank you!

JD-Morgan

Yes there is a link between diarrhoea after gallbladder surgery. My GP says it’s to do with bile acid constantly entering your intestines which would normally be stored by your gallbladder.
It's called dumping syndrome. I suffer from it a lot depending on what I eat since having my gallbladder removed 4 years ago.

BabyOctopus

I was diagnosed with gallstones in 2015 and had it out via keyhole surgery. I stayed overnight in hospital but most people can go home the same day. My pain reduced but never went away completely, and I was left with bile acid malabsorption. It meant still if I ate fatty food I could get pain, and then the most unpleasant bit was the bright yellow diarrhoea (sorry). If it effects you that badly you can take medications to bind the bile. I actually ended up having different colorectal issues, unrelated to gallstones, and now I have an ileostomy so it actually cured the bile acid malabsorption 😂

I was told a third of people are essentially cured after gallbladder removal and have no further pain or issues, a third remain the same, and a third get worsened pain afterwards. My dad was in the latter category and ended up needing a second surgery (sphincterotomy) for sphincter of oddi dysfunction

Scullybob

VIP Member
I had it so bad about 5 years ago, never ever felt pain like it! I didn’t have them out but I did drastically change my diet. I found ice cream, cheese and pork where the biggest offenders. I cut those out completely and not had an attack since. Good luck!
Gallstones are agony. I had mine out by keyhole surgery and it was the best thing to do. It's not major surgery and you should be healed and back to normal within a few weeks. I feel your pain 😣

Bean123

This is odd as my mum had her gallbladder removed after suffering for years, it got so bad though as she had to go to hospital on Boxing Day.

She was always adamant she didn't want an operation at her age but the pain got so bad she practically skipped down to surgery!

She also suffers now with an upset stomach/bad IBS, so surely it has got to be linked?

My mum said it was the worst pain she had ever had and she's had 5 children......!

I was following slimming world lost 10lbs in 4 weeks woke up during the night in absolute agony I had had this pain before but never this bad and it wouldn’t go away went to a and e was scanned and admitted surgery the same day as it was infected I don’t suffer no we’re near as bad now but I do get occasional flare ups I’m on omeprazole permanently due to acid I can’t seem to get rid of fatty foods heavy drinking and big meals used to trigger mine off
So even after surgery you can’t have fatty foods? So you still can’t have a nice Sunday dinner with goose fat roast potatoes? Or a lovely gooey brownie? I’m devastated, however awful that sounds. It’s not like I want to eat these things daily but as a treat once a week would have been nice after the surgery. Never mind, health is more important xx

Pinedee

Hi there. Is anybody on crown. I have just been prescribed this and awaiting a SEHCAT scab. If anybody has any advice please.

Creon ****

Motherofboys

I had my gallbladder out nearly 6 years ago. Prior to that I had attacks all the time. But because I didn’t fit the stereotype (I was extremely underweight) it was never picked up. A trip to a&e by blue lights as I thought I was having a heart attack, referred pain in arm and shoulder and couldn’t breathe (so did the paramedics) they were confirmed. I had it removed about 2 months after that. Before hand I couldn’t tell you a trigger. But now I still can’t eat high fat or high salt foods without being violently ill (both ends!) so that’s any pork product (I love bacon as well) and dairy that I know I can’t eat. Obviously now I can go about my day normally. But I have to avoid certain things as now my stomach can’t process certain things

Influenced

Chatty Member
I must look into it more and ask the GP again. My IBS only appeared after the gallbladder removal. Seems too coincidental to me. 🤔

JoJo81

VIP Member
Has anyone had an ultrasound that didn’t show gallstones? I’ve been having stomach issues for nearly 2 years and the doctor referred me for an ultrasound. Nothing showed up but all of my symptoms point at gallstones so I’m wondering if they don’t always show up on an ultrasound. I have constant pain at the top of my ribs on my right side, fatigue, nausea and excess wind and have had light coloured stools for a few days I’m worried sick about this as I’m also concerned about pancreatitis although I don’t have the dark urine etc.

Truthteller2019

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago, for Gallstones I found that porridge helped and so did apple juice. Gaviscon too. Avoid any acidic food especially tomato based foods if you can. The pain was horrendous so I feel for anyone suffering now.