Further education college job (UK)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all 👋🏼 I've seen a few posts like these but for different jobs so hoping I can find some help and support 🤞🏼

I've been invited to interview for a job at a further education college as a lecturer of a subject I am currently teaching.
This will be my first ever interview in FE and a role I've wanted to do for so long.

Please could anyone share their interview tips/ tricks and basically ways I can make myself stand out and get the job of my dreams?

Reactions: 4
Practice as much as you can in front of the mirror.

treat it as a conversation, make sure they engage with you and you’re not talking for too long non stop.

take breaths, don’t talk too fast.

good luck.

Reactions: 1
Practice as much as you can in front of the mirror.

treat it as a conversation, make sure they engage with you and you’re not talking for too long non stop.

take breaths, don’t talk too fast.

good luck.
Thank you so much

If it's the job of your dreams and you are already an experienced lecturer, this will definitely come across and be very attractive to an employer.

I hope you get it. Let us know. Good luck

Reactions: 2
If you express your passion for the role in the interview clearly and concisely you will succeed. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Depending on the age of the students you may be asked some safeguarding questions, if it's FE and they are all classed as adults then you probably won't but might be best to prep some answers about what to do if a student asks to tell you something in confidence etc.

I've only ever worked in support staff roles in education but the interview questions have always been as expected, just make sure you link it back to why you want to move into this role and how you'll suit it. Good luck!

If it's the job of your dreams and you are already an experienced lecturer, this will definitely come across and be very attractive to an employer.

I hope you get it. Let us know. Good luck
Thank you, I'm not an experienced lecturer but I am an experienced teacher so this is definitely the next step for me. Just hoping to be given a chance 🤞🏼

If you express your passion for the role in the interview clearly and concisely you will succeed. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Thank you so much. Definitely passionate for the role. I live and breathe the subject 😂

Depending on the age of the students you may be asked some safeguarding questions, if it's FE and they are all classed as adults then you probably won't but might be best to prep some answers about what to do if a student asks to tell you something in confidence etc.

I've only ever worked in support staff roles in education but the interview questions have always been as expected, just make sure you link it back to why you want to move into this role and how you'll suit it. Good luck!
Thank you. Although it will be my first step on FE I am experienced in the subject so hoping my passion and love for the subject comes across.

I find this soooo interesting as I would like to eventually make the move as well!

Hope you don’t mind me asking… why are you considering the move to FE? I imagine I will eventually get fed up of secondary pupils and their problems😂😂

I find this soooo interesting as I would like to eventually make the move as well!

Hope you don’t mind me asking… why are you considering the move to FE? I imagine I will eventually get fed up of secondary pupils and their problems😂😂
For me I am so passionate about my subject, my friends and family joke I live and breathe it. 🤣 I would love to pass on my passion, knowledge and general love for the subject to the next generation of learners as they embark on the start of their careers.

Good luck lovely! I would love to teach HE the future as FE is not what I thought it was. I’m a college lecturer, and have just spent my day breaking up fights and bitchiness between the girls. Who says secondary isn’t like college!

And as said above you will most definitely get asked a safeguarding question. I was asked what would I do if someone disclosed abuse to me so I had to name the college service they would be referred to, how I would log it, etc.

For me I am so passionate about my subject, my friends and family joke I live and breathe it. 🤣 I would love to pass on my passion, knowledge and general love for the subject to the next generation of learners as they embark on the start of their careers.
Fab!!! All the best. Do you teach secondary currently?

Good luck lovely! I would love to teach HE the future as FE is not what I thought it was. I’m a college lecturer, and have just spent my day breaking up fights and bitchiness between the girls. Who says secondary isn’t like college!
Oh dear! I alway as thought that in FE up would have fewer of these issues

Fab!!! All the best. Do you teach secondary currently?

Oh dear! I alway as thought that in FE up would have fewer of these issues

No primary, early years. I feel it's such a vital time for all children and getting highly motivated and qualified support staff is sometimes over-looked.

Hi all 👋🏼 I've seen a few posts like these but for different jobs so hoping I can find some help and support 🤞🏼

I've been invited to interview for a job at a further education college as a lecturer of a subject I am currently teaching.
This will be my first ever interview in FE and a role I've wanted to do for so long.

Please could anyone share their interview tips/ tricks and basically ways I can make myself stand out and get the job of my dreams?
Show your enthusiasm because theres nothing better than a lecturer that actually wants to be there and teaching. I went to college rather than sixth form, there was so much insight from the tutors and what they did in industry which was so important without that i wouldnt be in the career i am now. Be yourself try and not be awkward. Talk about why you want to teach the students and how you as a person are able to help them

Show your enthusiasm because theres nothing better than a lecturer that actually wants to be there and teaching. I went to college rather than sixth form, there was so much insight from the tutors and what they did in industry which was so important without that i wouldnt be in the career i am now. Be yourself try and not be awkward. Talk about why you want to teach the students and how you as a person are able to help them
Thank you so much. This is so true and I completely agree. Many many years ago I attended sixth form, went from being a grade A student to failing because I just didn't click with my teachers. Left education for a few years and then went back to college when I had a completely different experience.

Relationships are sooo important in all age ranges within education. I think this would come up on an interview for FE too. It’s not just about subject knowledge even though that is very important!

I teach secondary and it makes such a difference when the kids like and respect a teacher. I think the teacher has to like and respect pupils as well, some teachers show total contempt for the job and the pupils, when the pupils become aware of it it’s game over!

Relationships are sooo important in all age ranges within education. I think this would come up on an interview for FE too. It’s not just about subject knowledge even though that is very important!

I teach secondary and it makes such a difference when the kids like and respect a teacher. I think the teacher has to like and respect pupils as well, some teachers show total contempt for the job and the pupils, when the pupils become aware of it it’s game over!
Definitely. I've worked with colleagues in the past who quite clearly didn't like children. The children pick up on it even in primary school.