Fungal nail treatment

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just what we all want to read on a Thursday morning but…. unfortunately I am suffering with a horrible fungal infection on my big toe- dr has suggested anti biotics but it’s months and months of treatment and I want to wear sandals this summer. can anyone Reccomend anything?

Reactions: 1
No experience but pharmacy’s have a huge range for this problem. Have you popped in and had a look?

I had one a few years ago, and having seen the cost of ottc treatments I used white vinegar successfully. You could start with that whilst you explore your options

Reactions: 3
I had fungal nail for years but was given a home gel-nail kit one Christmas and it’s completely cured it.. crazy, huh? The blue UV light is known to kill the fungus. If you like having your nails done, maybe that would be something to consider? I only change my gel nails every month-ish and it keeps the fungal nail well away.

Reactions: 5
I had one a few years ago, and having seen the cost of ottc treatments I used white vinegar successfully. You could start with that whilst you explore your options
I unfortunately have had this for years & I cannot get rid. I’ve spent prob close to 1k in over the counter treatments , laser, dermatologists etc. What did you do with the white vinegar?

I had fungal nail for years but was given a home gel-nail kit one Christmas and it’s completely cured it.. crazy, huh? The blue UV light is known to kill the fungus. If you like having your nails done, maybe that would be something to consider? I only change my gel nails every month-ish and it keeps the fungal nail well away.
I’ve never attempted to get my nails done because I fear being chased from the salon & being mortified. Il def look into this.

Just what we all want to read on a Thursday morning but…. unfortunately I am suffering with a horrible fungal infection on my big toe- dr has suggested anti biotics but it’s months and months of treatment and I want to wear sandals this summer. can anyone Reccomend anything?
Also I meant to add that I have done two rounds of Terbinafine and one of itraconazole, had to get regular bloods done to keep track of my liver function and neither worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I unfortunately have had this for years & I cannot get rid. I’ve spent prob close to 1k in over the counter treatments , laser, dermatologists etc. What did you do with the white vinegar?

I’ve never attempted to get my nails done because I fear being chased from the salon & being mortified. Il def look into this.
You can buy a gel light from Amazon for about £10.

I bought some tea tree oil from superdrug and put a few drops on/under my nail, took a while but it definitely helped clear it

Also I meant to add that I have done two rounds of Terbinafine and one of itraconazole, had to get regular bloods done to keep track of my liver function and neither worked.
Goodness that sounds awful! I just had issues with one toe and I soaked cotton wool in white vinegar and taped it on.

Interested in this thread because I’ve had fungal toe nails for ages and I was too embarrassed to go to the Dr about it 😬 I finally built up the courage to and then found out I was moving so it’s been put off again!

I might try the gel light, that’s really interesting.

I had an oil from Amazon last year and it did start to work, but took ages so I kind of lost interest. I’ll link it in case you want to try! It had better reviews than the usual pharmacy treatments.

Amazon product

I had this problem year ago and eventually went to the doctors, yep it was months worth of treatment but defiantly saved the issue and hasn’t reoccurred since.

I had the same issue and then the nail was so brittle it went ingrown 🙄

I went for private podiatrist - saw me same day I called and after three visits she sorted it 🤷 took weeks of waiting in between for the nail to grow, but it's all cleared now

I bought Nailner and used it religiously twice a day for about 3 months, got rid of it completely.

Ok so today I went to the podiatrist as a last resort. She filed my nails
Down & gave me Mycosan to use once a day & a tea tree foot soak once a week. I’m back with her in 6 weeks. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I have fungus on most of my nails and have done for years. I have tried a few treatments but nothing has kept it away. How did you get over the utter embarrassment of seeing a dr about it? I know that sounds silly but I want to cry when I think about showing someone.

I have fungus on most of my nails and have done for years. I have tried a few treatments but nothing has kept it away. How did you get over the utter embarrassment of seeing a dr about it? I know that sounds silly but I want to cry when I think about showing someone.
Your toe nails are probably one of the least offensive things that a GP would see on any given day! I doubt they'd give it a second thought.

My partner had fungal toe nails on nine toes, for over a decade. He finally bit the bullet and got medication from the GP when nothing from the pharmacy worked. It made him feel quite unwell/sick/nauseous for about a week and then he was fine. The meds worked, the fungus cleared after a few months, and he then couldn't understand why he'd waited ten years to do it!

I have a similar problem and all my toe nails are misshapen and thick. Does anyone have any experience with seeing a podiatrist for them to cut them too?

i am completely with you but honestly I’ve been to the GP twice about it and he couldn’t have been nicer.Good luck xx

I have a similar problem and all my toe nails are misshapen and thick. Does anyone have any experience with seeing a podiatrist for them to cut them too?
I went a few weeks ago, she cut and filed mine. Wasnt sore at all & a grand experience.