Frugal Living

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Inspired by the green living and discontent thread: I thought we could share tips and tricks on what we do to live frugally or post some frugal wins.

today I found a casserole pack in Asda for 20p and some celery for 21p. I’ve frozen it and I’ll throw it in a casserole or a pie this week. You have to get lucky but it’s much cheaper than buying the veg individually if you can get a pack

food wise: i also buy my veg frozen so that it keeps for ages.

I drink squash as a treat drink instead of fizzy drinks so it lasts longer.

i slow cook my food overnight when the electricity is cheapest and then portion it in the morning

I will add more when I think of some

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They offer different plans for electricity where I live — it’s much cheaper between 12 am - 8 am all year round if you commit to downgrading your electricity usage during the summer months. It’s less than 2 cents/kWh during those off peak periods compared to the average rate of 14 cents/kWh. I’ll try it this year for the first time. I’ll aim to do batch cooking, run the dishwasher and wash my clothes during those hours.

Reactions: 4
They offer different plans for electricity where I live — it’s much cheaper between 12 am - 8 am all year round if you commit to downgrading your electricity usage during the summer months. It’s less than 2 cents/kWh during those off peak periods compared to the average rate of 14 cents/kWh. I’ll try it this year for the first time.
mine is one of those economy ones that are cheaper from 10pm-6am, my neighbours must hate me cause I do my washing as close to 10pm as possible (although only at weekends)

Waze lets you find the cheapest fuel prices at petrol stations near you so worth using that to find where to go to buy you fuel.

Unless you live in a coop and there’s a rule saying you can’t, there’s no good reason not to
I only do it at weekends (just me at home so better anyway to leave the washing pile up) and I live next to men who work long hours and work away (ive never met the guy who lives next door lol) so I doubt they mind. If it was young families or anything like that I would ask though.

Reactions: 2
I only do it at weekends (just me at home so better anyway to leave the washing pile up) and I live next to men who work long hours and work away (ive never met the guy who lives next door lol) so I doubt they mind. If it was young families or anything like that I would ask though.
Yeah, I bet they don’t mind and are probably doing the same! I got used to my neighbors running their machines at night. Then again, I might not be a good example because I love white noise 😹 I also have no problem speaking up when my neighbors push the limits on what’s acceptable & expect the same from them 🙂

Posted this on another thread but it might be worth people watching “30 ways to cut your bills” on channel 5. Aired last night but it’s on My5. I found it really interesting cause they discuss how much things cost per hour.

Posted this on another thread but it might be worth people watching “30 ways to cut your bills” on channel 5. Aired last night but it’s on My5. I found it really interesting cause they discuss how much things cost per hour.
I’ve just watched this on 5 on demand some interesting tips. I also like the Bargain Brits on Benefits they also have some useful tips.

Just a few tips off the top of my head:
I rarely buy fizzy drinks, instead mix squash with own-brand sparkling water for a a fizzy kick.

I use the fast-wash (30 mins) on my washing machine for most loads, pre treating the odd stain if necessary, with a smidge of washing up liquid. I pause the cycle for a few minutes mid-wash, to let the clothes soak. The clothes come out spotless, then get line-dried.

I don't use cleaning sprays, just my trusty microfiber cloths.

I use frozen vegetables regularly. They are nutrient-dense, and really cheap. Particularly own-brand.

I have loads more tips. But I'm going to bed now!!

There’s a lady on Facebook who has a page called 'feed your family for £20 a week' posting some really good ideas for meal planning.

Use top cashback if you’re buying things online, although if you use a voucher code aswell cash back could be declined. If you don’t use this already I can give you a referral code and then that person can give a referral code to the next person, and so on….

Use the Shopmium app. You get a freebie to start with (i had a large bar of chocolate) and then when you go round the big name supermarkets you can get discounts on products. All you do is upload a photo of your receipt - front and back - and post a review for the product they can use online if they wish. They pay you back via PayPal or your bank account.

get a slow cooker if you haven’t already, you can even cook baked potatoes in them. If you cook a batch you can freeze them and take one to work for lunch by reheating in a microwave.

soupmakers are really good too. Chuck some veg in, I always use chicken stock cubes, use potatoes to thicken and a dash of milk or cream if you’ve got some to use up…. Delicious.

I’ll think of some more!

I used a couple of coupon apps called Shopmium and GreenJinn after seeing them on a Grackle Video (YouTube)
I got a 102g bag of Malteasers and cat food for free and Honey Shreddies for 50p
You purchase them first, then scan the receipt and the barcode then they refund to your paypal

Be careful though, I almost bought things I didn't need just because there was a coupon which isn't really saving is it! :giggle:

Just a few tips off the top of my head:

I use the fast-wash (30 mins) on my washing machine for most loads, pre treating the odd stain if necessary, with a smidge of washing up liquid. I pause the cycle for a few minutes mid-wash, to let the clothes soak. The clothes come out spotless, then get line-dried.

I have loads more tips. But I'm going to bed now!!
I used to always use the quick wash then I read somewhere that the longer washes were more energy efficient so I tried them. It made no difference to my electricity consumption. It seems like it's a convenience/ time saver rather than an energy saver.

Reactions: 3
I used to always use the quick wash then I read somewhere that the longer washes were more energy efficient so I tried them. It made no difference to my electricity consumption. It seems like it's a convenience/ time saver rather than an energy saver.
Surprising. I would have thought that a shorter cycle would use less energy 🤔

As far as I am aware the main energy is used heating up the water so 30 minutes on a hot wash could potentially be the same as or more expensive than 2 hours on a 20 degree wash (i am no expert so don’t quote me on that!)

Inspired by the green living and discontent thread: I thought we could share tips and tricks on what we do to live frugally or post some frugal wins.

today I found a casserole pack in Asda for 20p and some celery for 21p. I’ve frozen it and I’ll throw it in a casserole or a pie this week. You have to get lucky but it’s much cheaper than buying the veg individually if you can get a pack

food wise: i also buy my veg frozen so that it keeps for ages.

I drink squash as a treat drink instead of fizzy drinks so it lasts longer.

i slow cook my food overnight when the electricity is cheapest and then portion it in the morning

I will add more when I think of some
I have started buying frozen veg and I have always found Squash nicer than the fizzy stuff

I have started buying frozen veg and I have always found Squash nicer than the fizzy stuff
I swear by frozen veg! No waste as it doesn’t go off and as long as I’ve got my bulk pulses, tins and some spices I can knock a meal up in minutes. I meal plan but I don’t really need to as I have everything I need.

I prefer squash. Doesn’t leave a film around your teeth and it last so much longer. (I tell myself it’s healthier as well cause it’s 3/4 water but I mean that could be bullshit😂😂)

I swear by frozen veg! No waste as it doesn’t go off and as long as I’ve got my bulk pulses, tins and some spices I can knock a meal up in minutes. I meal plan but I don’t really need to as I have everything I need.

I prefer squash. Doesn’t leave a film around your teeth and it last so much longer. (I tell myself it’s healthier as well cause it’s 3/4 water but I mean that could be bullshit😂😂)
I live on my own so buying fresh veg always seemed wasteful, maybe I will still buy a swede, carrots etc when I start making my winter stews again and use a soup mix to bulk them up.