Free TV Licences to be limited to poor pensioners over 75

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good move. Universal free TV licences for everyone over 75 was just a Gordon Brown pre election bribe. Was never going to be sustainable as older people are the ones paying the licence. Poor pensioners (who still have three times the income of job seaker) will get it for free. People managed for many years without free licences for the over 75s.

Reactions: 1
I hate that they make us pay for something without giving us a choice! I haven't watched the BBC in decades! Its a disgrace!

Reactions: 13
The BBC is a good idea in principle. But I think it trys to do way too much and is too expensive for me, so don't watch it.

I hate that it squashes what private companies could do with its power and unique funding.

I actually think it’s a good idea to means test it. Perhaps an unpopular opinion. It’s the way it should have gone to begin with.
Tbh I watch a lot of BBC programs (I haven’t watched itv in years) & would choose to pay for it if we were given a choice.
Agree that people should have the choice but can’t see that changing anytime soon. Even as a fan of the BBC, I think it is expensive for what it offers, especially when compared to sky or Netflix . Give people a choice then I can’t see the BBC lasting.

Reactions: 3
I stopped buying a TV licence many years ago, for a long time you could still legally watch the BBC iplayer without it. It was a con during uni days where they said every bedroom in a house needed it's own licence as the doors had locks.

Means testing this by pension credit is sensible. The means testing has already been done and the poorest will still get to watch TV for free. They need to charge wealthier pensioners as soon hardly anyone will be buying one.

Reactions: 4
I stopped buying a TV licence many years ago, for a long time you could still legally watch the BBC iplayer without it. It was a con during uni days where they said every bedroom in a house needed it's own licence as the doors had locks.

Means testing this by pension credit is sensible. The means testing has already been done and the poorest will still get to watch TV for free. They need to charge wealthier pensioners as soon hardly anyone will be buying one.
Do you keep getting little brown envelopes saying they will be paying you a visit soon? Remember those strange TV Licence detector van adverts to scare people into buying one? An ex of mine got fined as his flat mate actually let an inspector into their living room to see the TV after the inspector knocked on the door asking if they had a TV. They have to see the TV in the house before can issue a fine. The flatmate didn’t realise my ex hadn’t bought one. They split the fine.

Reactions: 2
Do you keep getting little brown envelopes saying they will be paying you a visit soon? Remember those strange TV Licence detector van adverts to scare people into buying one? An ex of mine got fined as his flat mate actually let an inspector into their living room to see the TV after the inspector knocked on the door asking if they had a TV. They have to see the TV in the house before can issue a fine. The flatmate didn’t realise my ex hadn’t bought one. They split the fine.
Yep they've been threatening me for years sending little calendars with a date circles that will be my court date. :D It's pathetic they've never paid me a visit despite my local agency having me on their hit list for years. You can phone up and tell them you don't have one, they'll leave you alone for a year then start threatening again

I've got friends that work for the beeb and don't even have licenses themselves.

I miss when BBC 2 had real documentaries, not these basic watered down stuff they've been putting out for the last decade.

Reactions: 7
Yep they've been threatening me for years sending little calendars with a date circles that will be my court date. :D It's pathetic they've never paid me a visit despite my local agency having me on their hit list for years. You can phone up and tell them you don't have one, they'll leave you alone for a year then start threatening again

I've got friends that work for the beeb and don't even have licenses themselves.

I miss when BBC 2 had real documentaries, not these basic watered down stuff they've been putting out for the last decade.
BBC must surely be losing younger viewers to Netflix, Amazon Video etc because at least then we can put money to the services that have programmes we want to watch. I hardly ever watch live TV these days.

Its 12 quid a month hardly a lot anyway.
BBC must surely be losing younger viewers to Netflix, Amazon Video etc because at least then we can put money to the services that have programmes we want to watch. I hardly ever watch live TV these days.
Same. I watch pretty much everything on catch up or netflix. Even my daugther has stopped watching live tv and shes 4, its all about youtube for her. Still have the licence though as i sometimes stick iplayer on.

BBC three is also online now and I feel like younger viewers used to mostly watch that out of the BBC channels. I think most of their stuff is on Youtube bar the odd longer documentaries they've done.

These pensioners are acting like such snowflakes over this. Petitions and refusing to pay even though poor pensioners will still get it for free. Why do people think they should get something for free at a certain age? Would pensioners go into Waitrose and demand that they get their shopping for free?

Boomers I've often seen be the most entitled snowflakes in society.

Someone on the radio was saying why not make the Beeb subscription like Netflix? Makes sense to me. I love the radio and would pay for it. Having said that have avoided the licence for a few years though get threatening letters. Famous last words I'm sure.

Firstly, I believe that if you rent a service like from sky, the fee should be incorporated into that single fee. Surely as a service provider perhaps they should take on the cost after all we are watching bbc through sky.

Secondly, I don’t think it’s fair asking the over 75s to pay but, if they must then have it at a reduced rate.

It’s simple just don’t buy one. Register as not watching live tele and they don’t even bother you.
you are under no real legal obligation to purchase a licence, there are massive loopholes in the law and they rely on the naivety of the indoctrinated consumer to fund them. Foreigners laugh at our system.

I think the tv licence is a massive waste of money. I do watch the bbc but only for Eastenders. They should just advertise like other channels do or offer it as a subscription tbh if I had the choice I wouldn't bother. I've actually noticed recently that we rarely watch hardly any of the pay for channels on sky anymore. The kids watch youtube and I mostly watch netflix.

These pensioners are acting like such snowflakes over this. Petitions and refusing to pay even though poor pensioners will still get it for free. Why do people think they should get something for free at a certain age? Would pensioners go into Waitrose and demand that they get their shopping for free?

Boomers I've often seen be the most entitled snowflakes in society.
Agreed they had it good far too long.
If only they work on university bus pass.
I have pay for my child to take the bus to senior school.
Whilst a wealthy pensioners riding the bus for free for a lovely day out.
Bus fares keep going up and up.

Agreed they had it good far too long.
If only they work on university bus pass.
I have pay for my child to take the bus to senior school.
Whilst a wealthy pensioners riding the bus for free for a lovely day out.
Bus fares keep going up and up.
They really have. There was outrage when they suggested charging £20 for a 5 year bus pass! The rest of us are paying £7 each day for a ticket. They're out so of touch and grabby.
Secondly, I don’t think it’s fair asking the over 75s to pay but, if they must then have it at a reduced rate.
Why at a certain age should someone get something for free regardless of their situations? The poorest 1/4 of pensioners will still get it for free and in society pensioners are the group with the most money and least likely to need freebies.

The truth is it's a big voting block so they're used to demanding stuff for free and politicians being too scared. Everything else is means tested. It's time pensioners were treated like everyone else to help make a fairer society. There's no money for people on JSA (which is way way less than pension credits) to get a bus pass, but there's the money to give every single pensioner free unlimited bus travel.

Maybe if they didn't pay the likes of Linnekar over 1 million in wages per year, and 6 figure sums to all the other so called celebs and not to mention how much the big bugs in the BBC are getting then they wouldn't need to stop free licences.

It's a absolute disgrace, anyone over 75yrs should have it for free.

Reactions: 2