Feeding baby help

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm looking for help with my two week old baby, who was born five weeks early (not sure if that is relevant). She has started to spit up after a feed (formula fed), which to me means she is full & should stop feeding. She falls asleep in our arms but when we put her down in her cot she acts like shes hungry again. Sometimes she takes a good amount if we try again other times she won’t even look at the bottle. Should we keep trying to feed her? It also only seems to happen in the evening & during the night. Any help would be appreciated, new to this whole having a baby thing 😂

I only had a baby six months ago and I’ve already forgotten how much he drank at that age! Bad mum!

I think so long as she is getting enough down her and feeding every couple of hours then I wouldn’t try To force feed her. I did that, my baby had reflux and wouldn’t drink at all so I felt like I was literally forcing him, and it made us both miserable. He is better now as he takes medication but I never force him with a bottle. I’d maybe aim for x2 of her weight in oz of milk xx

I’m not sure I have any advice as I breastfed, but didn’t want to read and run.

The first few weeks baby’s just want to be nursed & held. Try googling“the 4th trimester” they are still adjusting to being out of the womb and just want to be close to you. Does baby settle when you pick her up? My babe would never let me put her down, it’s hard & tiring the first few weeks 😅 If you are worried though, call your midwife if your still under them or health visitor x

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I'm looking for help with my two week old baby, who was born five weeks early (not sure if that is relevant). She has started to spit up after a feed (formula fed), which to me means she is full & should stop feeding. She falls asleep in our arms but when we put her down in her cot she acts like shes hungry again. Sometimes she takes a good amount if we try again other times she won’t even look at the bottle. Should we keep trying to feed her? It also only seems to happen in the evening & during the night. Any help would be appreciated, new to this whole having a baby thing 😂
make sure you are winding her completely before you put her down - if she’s sleepy she may not be getting all her wind up and might be uncomfortable which is why she’s fussing and seeming to want picked up or fed again. Try some infacol (from most supermarkets/chemists etc) before every feed to see if that helps. She’s very young so probably only needing a few ounces of milk at each feed. You may find she will take a smaller amount each time but want to eat more frequently- eventually you will fall into a routine but it’s early days yet - try to just go with it for now xx

I’m not sure I have any advice as I breastfed, but didn’t want to read and run.

The first few weeks baby’s just want to be nursed & held. Try googling“the 4th trimester” they are still adjusting to being out of the womb and just want to be close to you. Does baby settle when you pick her up? My babe would never let me put her down, it’s hard & tiring the first few weeks 😅 If you are worried though, call your midwife if your still under them or health visitor x
I'll look it up! It's pretty much automatic that she'll settle once we pick her up (unless she actually is hungry). We've got call with the health Visitor next week so will mention it then.

make sure you are winding her completely before you put her down - if she’s sleepy she may not be getting all her wind up and might be uncomfortable which is why she’s fussing and seeming to want picked up or fed again. Try some infacol (from most supermarkets/chemists etc) before every feed to see if that helps. She’s very young so probably only needing a few ounces of milk at each feed. You may find she will take a smaller amount each time but want to eat more frequently- eventually you will fall into a routine but it’s early days yet - try to just go with it for now xx
I was wondering if wind might be an issue, she hardly ever burps when we try wind her.
Thanks for the help guys 🙂

Loads of good advice above, especially the 4th trimester bit. Babies that age love to be held and that might be all that she wants/needs. My daughter fell asleep feeding all the time but would wake up the minute she was put down!
Look for feeding cues like rooting around/hand in mouth/licking lips etc as this is a good indication of hunger. Most important re feeding amounts is wet/dirty nappies rather than intake.
Cluster feeding can often happen in the evenings too. Developmental changes come thick and fast on the early days - I found the wonder weeks app pretty good at suggesting why my baby might be more unsettled than usual.
But as someone else said, if you’re worried then call the HV - that’s what they are there for!

Reactions: 1
I’ve had 3 children and I remember this stage so clearly with all of them. I think mine just loved to be held, try not worry you aren’t doing anything wrong if the baby was hungry they would definitely let you know.

Thanks everyone. Think me & my partner are over thinking it & forgetting shes just a tiny baby 🙂
Aww dw I was exactly the same, it’s so overwhelming, stressful and you overthink EVERYTHING! Hope you and baby are ok and congratulations btw xxx