Favourite mid week meal you cook from scratch.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I cook joints of meat in my slow cooker. I just bung them in for about 8 hours and they are ready.
There's often enough for the next day too.

Reactions: 3
I forgot about the BBC Food website, an excellent resource. The websites I use all have filters to show easy recipes or healthy recipes etc. I try to keep my recipes to as few ingredients as possilble..
If you like stew then the Waitrose website has an Italian Beef and Mushroom stew, I use their powdered porcini mushroom instead of the paste as I found the paste gets mouldy quickly. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/cooks-ingredients-porcini-powder/649947-672683-672684 This does about 7 stews. They also have a root vegetable stew on there for a Vegan day which is quite tasty and you can choose the root veg you like rather than follow the recipe

• Heart
Reactions: 2
If you haven’t got a slow cooker, I would definitely get one makes mid week meals so much easier when working, just Chuck whatever you are making in there and leave it.

Another one to add is quiche - do whatever fillings and use leftover for lunch the next day

I buy my own pastry hehe

I cook most meals from scratch, I’ve always loved cooking so luckily don’t see it as a chore!
My fave mid week meal is chilli con carne - served with rice or jacket potato or wedges or even in a wrap!
you can get a small food chopper that’s manual and takes the time out of chopping just search manual food processor on Amazon/eBay.

pinch of nom do some great recipes for things like fakeaways so you can recreate your favourite takeaway or junk food but using whole foods! They’ve loads on their website so you don’t necessarily have to buy the book

• Heart
For skills “America’s Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook” is a great reference. It has recipes that I used (vegetarian lasagna & chocolate chip cookies - both get rave reviews however I find they took forever to pull off) but mostly I like the guides for buying meats and handling them. It is choc full of basics in an easy to digest format. I’m on my own journey of learning how to cook for a lapsed vegetarian so I will be following this thread!