Fair-Weather Friends

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I dont have a huge circle of friends really I have a best friend but she is also my manager and work disagreements have tainted the friendship slightly. Sure it will sort itself out eventually though and we would both be there for each other if needed.

I have a lot of colleagues who I am friendly with but dont see outside work.

Probably the one I am closest too now is someone I have only met since lockdown ( we live on the same street but only started talking last summer). She suffered a horrific family tragedy just before lockdown so I would like to think even though I didn't know her at the time i have supported her in some dark times since (court cases etc...) its difficult with lockdown as cant go in each others house but we go on walks regularly and chat every day on the phone. I would love that friendship to grow when things get back to normal as I have a huge amount of respect for how she is dealing with this new life she finds herself in and we have a lot in common.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have a couple of friends and a lot of mates. I think the key is learning who is who.

Reactions: 1
I dont have a huge circle of friends really I have a best friend but she is also my manager and work disagreements have tainted the friendship slightly. Sure it will sort itself out eventually though and we would both be there for each other if needed.

I have a lot of colleagues who I am friendly with but dont see outside work.

Probably the one I am closest too now is someone I have only met since lockdown ( we live on the same street but only started talking last summer). She suffered a horrific family tragedy just before lockdown so I would like to think even though I didn't know her at the time i have supported her in some dark times since (court cases etc...) its difficult with lockdown as cant go in each others house but we go on walks regularly and chat every day on the phone. I would love that friendship to grow when things get back to normal as I have a huge amount of respect for how she is dealing with this new life she finds herself in and we have a lot in common.
That friendship sounds really promising and I’m sure she appreciates you being there for her.

Reactions: 3
I have 1 ultimate bestie, then someone I thought was a best friend but she's made no effort for ages. I'll speak to her and she'll kill the conversation pretty quick. We've been friends for around 15 years so it's pretty gutting. I guarantee when lockdown ends she'll wanna go out or something but she's had 0 time or energy this whole time. Can't be bothered with friends like that,she knows nothing about my life anymore it's changed so much since last year and if she doesn't wanna be part of it then that's fine. I'm too old to mess about, it's hard to make new friends in your 20's but I'm doing my best. 😅

Reactions: 2
I became friends with a girl a few years ago, well, she used to come and hang around at my shop, I was like a sitting duck at the time and short of being rude to her, there wasnt much I could do about it.

We did go on to have a good friendship though I often felt she didnt understand friendship etiquette and never knew when to leave etc but put that down to loneliness and living alone.

I recall a mutual friend telling me "X wont be around for ever, she'll milk you for all you have" and at the time thinking . . Harsh.

Fast forward and thats exactly what happened.
She was always there for the good times, take aways, bottles of wine, parties etc . ..

I was moving house and didnt see her for at least a fortnight. No offer to help pack, move, take kids or dog etc, she eventually swanned up and asked "are you settled in yet?"
I flipped, let her have it, I felt betrayed, used for the good times and dumped on when I had nothing to give.

Live and learn as they say.

• Sad
I did something similar / I didn’t help A friend move because she has had a lot of other help from me and it’s never reciprocated. I keep mostly “social” friends now. I learnt.