Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Podcat

I have a bottle but I hardly use it, usually only for bed covers or the throws that cover the sofa if I want a bit of extra scent. I think it would be a good idea to reduce how much you use, you don't need it in every wash. I think its quite bad for the washing machine too.

Reactions: 1

Lyds26

Thanks for the home made solution, the cost benefits of not buying it will also be great! and @Podcat it’s good to hear someone who has it and barely uses it!

Trixabellee9393

I’d love to use it but can’t really. I have a bottle of fairy as it’s sensitive... and put a tiny tiny bit in. I get really itchy skin and sore eyes if I use anything scented so I don’t really have a choice! I suppose it’s bad for you anyway to use too many chemicals but I would use scented ones if I could tbh as they smell lush! I used too then suddenly became allergic :( my favourite smell is Ariel pods but again I can’t use them :( x

Lynseyp

VIP Member
I no longer use Fabric conditioner, when i did i would use the smallest amount and the washing smelt really pungent and made the clothes feel different. I have been buying washing capsules and that works a treat.

• Heart

Jennyie

I use white vinegar now with a few drops of essential oil.
I can honestly say that all my clothes and towels have never felt or smelt so clean and fresh. Softer too.
Will never go back to softner.

spiderpig

I use it with everything, after reading this I'm starting to think I should maybe stop.

Loulu2020

No
I’ve been reading a lot online about people who have stopped using fabric softener. I admit I go through a lot of it and love the smell but this year I really want to try and cut down on excess consumerism. Is it a necessity for you?
Not necessary and some have toxic chems. Fabric softner can help aid towels being softer. Its the only time I use it as towels can be dry but you can wash them and let towels dry naturally then its ok.

Even better make youre own fabric conditioner if you want to be kinder to the environment. You tube got all that on there!!
I use waitrose fabric softners they smell natural.

Ive gone from the PS chat to Laundry. Love it 😆

• Heart

Itsallaboutmememe

Chatty Member
I use white vinegar on towels and whites
my mother never used it and all our clothes where itchy and felt like cardboard (she did use the cheapest of cheap powder tho)
i really need to start weaning myself off it cos I don’t think it makes a difference to our clothes and it’s costing me a fortune each month
might look into making my own

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I use it all the time even on towels.
I live in a terrible hard water area and if I didn't use fabric conditioner, everything would be so hard and rough.

I did try vinegar (on towels) before, but I didn't feel that it did anything and the small did linger .....

Lyds26

I’ve been reading a lot online about people who have stopped using fabric softener. I admit I go through a lot of it and love the smell but this year I really want to try and cut down on excess consumerism. Is it a necessity for you?

CloudierN

I use watered down (cheap) hair conditioner. Smells much nicer. I can’t stand the smell of fabric conditioner - you really notice it once you stop using it. It gives me a headache. As does those smelly plug in things.

PoleStar

Chatty Member
I use Ecover washing products and I do use their fabric conditioner in every wash (only about a 1/8 of a capful for towels as it can reduce their absorbency). I hate the feel of washing that hasn't had fabric softener added - feels "crunchy" and anything synthetic develops static. It's not like that because of my water though as I have a water softener, everything in the house except the drinking water tap is fed off the softener.

Noname12345

Chatty Member
I don't use it. I never really have as in uni I went with the cheapest thing, and then learned that it coats your clothes and makes your towels less absorbent. I do miss the nice smells etc but not worth it really.
You can buy Aldi's scent boosters :)

Keiffers pipe

Yes I also had a washer repair man out who said it ruins the machine. I haven't used it since

He showed me the big black slimey gunk ball he removed from the water outlet 🤮🤮

I use bicarb and white vinegar and sometimes a little bit of zoflora if I want a nice smell