Exhausted every weight loss diet .. any advice?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One thing to mention about the calorie counting apps (MFP is bad for this in particular) that they will often put you on 1200 calories a day. Unless you are particularly petite this is really low and I would strongly recommend checking your TDEE and adjusting MFP manually if you need to.
completely agree with this 1,200 is what a small child should be having! I try 1,600/1,700 a day so do what works for you + always remember it is a marathon life is for living every moment 🤍

Reactions: 4
Come and join us on the

Weight loss and healthy eating thread
Yes come and join us on there! Its a wonderful thread, everyone is soooo supportive and kind and caring. I was being a negative nancy the other day and was totally honest about how fed up i was, and everyone was so lovely and supportive. Its the type of thread where you share all the positive changes, but you can also share the not so positive changes. Honestly you should join us :)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Do you have a Fitbit or other smart watch that can count steps and calories burned? I am quite competitive with myself and like to beat my step count each week. I also log all calories in and use my Fitbit to calculate calories burned and record the deficit.

I also try not to eat past 7pm and I don’t buy snacks that I am likely to binge on (recovering from bulimia but gained lots of weight due to lithium). I like to get my 5 fruit and veg in a day and have a bowl of quakers chocolate porridge every day, it’s tasty, filling and not many calories.

also, it might be worth getting your thyroid checked.

I think focusing on making healthy changes is better than focusing on weight loss as that can sometimes feel like you are fighting a losing battle. Making one healthy change a week or a month is a better way to think about it. Don’t give up xx

Reactions: 2
For me, it was stopping all sugar and most carbs. sweetness is my downfall.

I did look at the diet groups, holy macaroni they don't teach anything healthy just how much crap you can eat and still lose weight. Designed to keep you going back year after year. Huge money in the diet industry, that's why eating as clean as you can , no matter what diet you do ( carbs or calories ) is the best way.

Intermittent fasting and low carb, plus lots of walking. I walk for an hour minimum in the morning and another 30 minutes at night, helps that I have a dog who reminds me he needs to go out whatever the weather! I used to swim and spin but the regular walking has been better. I don’t think there has been one day in the last year I haven’t walked at least 4K, I started when lockdown did. Good luck x

Another vote for calorie counting. For me it's the only thing that makes sense and it appeals to inner rule breaker in me as nothing is off limits, if I want chocolate I can, as long as I account for calories.

The thing with MyFitnessPal giving everyone a blanket 1200 calories is because most make the mistake of saying they want to lose 2lb a week. If working out your TDEE sounds daunting (it isn't, but it can look complicated when you first read), just tell MFP that you want to lose half a pound a week and it will give you more calories to play with.

Another thing I would recommend when starting with MFP is to use it for the first week just to track your typical eating without "dieting", then you can get a better idea of where you could cut back and what isn't as high in calories as you thought. Then you can adjust accordingly... use it for knowledge as a tool, without becoming a slave to it.

A couple of good people to follow on insta if calorie counting are healthylittlelifter and The Fitness Chef. HLL is a coach who does sell her own programmes but she posts a lot free content of ideas for what a 1600, 1700 or 1800 calories day could look like, is an advocate of real food, carbs and never going too low on calories. The Fitness Chef is good for getting out of the mindset of "good" and "bad" foods and for calorie swap ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I feel more motivated to eat healthier when I’m active so I have been doing dance workouts on YouTube! It’s super fun and actually makes me feel happier when doing it. Being more active is definitely a good way of losing weight, I find that the more I move the better I feel! I always feel so down and rubbish when I don’t do exercise. Even if it’s a light workout try do it 3 times a week and you’ll see yourself drop weight without even realising it

So the only two things to work for me are, being REALLY strict with what and cutting out a lot of what I eat or fasting. The first option doesn’t always work well for me because I find after a few weeks I hit a wall where I’m craving everything and start to binge.
I managed to lose a stone and a half in 2019 by fasting, it stopped me binging and snacking late in the evening, but then lockdown happened, ive been working from home and it all went out the window 🙈 so I’ve recently started again. This time though I want to try and count calories as well and just move more, going for walks daily or twice daily if I can!