Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

kittenattack

VIP Member
I was a nurse for 30 years. I worked in care of the elderly and adults with neurodegenerative diseases. I could tell you things which would keep you up at night they were so awful. Terrible suffering which no one should have to go through.

Assisted dying is like termination of pregnancy. If you don't agree with it, don't have it, but don't force your views on others. No one should be forced to remain alive against their will.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
When my dad found out he had cancer he refused treatment, no one could prevent that, it was his right. I don't really see how euthanasia is any different to refusing treatment.

However, because euthanasia is illegal he had to be in serious pain and suffering with terminal restlessness before he was given midazzolam in a syringe driver. Midazzolam, given in this way is believed to bring on death sooner because the patient can't eat or drink so basically starves to death. In effect, my dad was euthanized because I asked for him to be put on the syringe driver but his death was more cruel and prolonged than it would have been if euthanasia was legal.

My dad supported euthanasia and should have been allowed a more dignified and peaceful death than being deprived of food and water for 48 hours.

We are actually in a situation where terminally ill people are put on midazzolam in syringe drivers in order to bring death on sooner because this is the only option doctors have to end their patients' suffering. Nobody questions the ethics of the doctors that prescribe this and nobody thinks that reducing patients' suffering is unethical, when it is arguably more cruel than administering an injection that kills instantly and painlessly.

I don't regret asking for the syringe driver for my dad as I know he wanted the pain to end but I know that he was in more pain and discomfort for longer than was necessary. I don't know if I have explained myself very well but I ultimately think that euthanasia would be a kinder practice than what is currently happening.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Euthanasia should be provided for those who want it. I’m currently caring for my mum at home and on an end of life pathway. She has widespread cancer including her bones and it’s honestly so cruel to let someone die in this way. She’s like a skeleton, in constant pain and is vomiting faecal matter because of a bowel obstruction. You wouldn’t leave an animal like that. It’s horrific.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

AlanBanan

VIP Member
If an animal was in pain with no quality of life, we have the choice to put them out of their misery. Why would you not give your fellow human a choice of ending their misery? Would you rather let them die with respect and their dignity than to die not knowing where they are, in horrific pain or so drugged up they don’t know what’s happening?

Reactions: 12

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
It's something more and more of the public support, but the government will never even let it be discussed. It's not uncaring to want it, it's actually caring. There is no fun in seeing someone you love in constant pain, needing around the clock care, never going to get better and feeling like a burden. They should be allowed to end their life under their own terms with some dignity.

Reactions: 10
I absolutely think euthanasia should be legalised. Why should animals get to die without suffering, but we can't? I also believe that for mental health issues you should be allowed to also, but have lots of proof that it is unbearably bad on you and your life and has been going on for a certain number of years.

As someone who suffers from depression and has done as long as I can remember, I'd rather have that option there than people who commit suicide in a public way where members of the public find them or witness it. Many people have low times in their life and have moments where they're down and wish the world could end, I don't agree having it done then, but certainly if a person has medical evidence and personal evidence where they're unhappy and cannot live their life to a satisfactory level due to how bad their physical and mental health is, it should be considered.

• Heart

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member

That's the most tragic story I have read in ages :( Let people in pain who aren't going to get better and feel a burden have the option to die FFS!!!! We've a shortage of medical staff and carers and yet they have to spend their time tending to people who don't want to be here when they could spend more time with those that can be around for a long time to come. The ridiculous rules of the pandemic stopped them going to Switzerland but it's mad you can't do it in the UK. Pets that can't be helped are put to sleep. Animals are treated better than humans.

• Sad

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
100% think it should be legalised and that it should be an option for those who would otherwise face a long, drawn out, painful, distressing death. We have the medication to allow those suffering to pass away peacefully with dignity on their own terms. I can’t understand why on Earth we don’t already have this in place.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

potatowaffles

Obviously it would need to be carefully managed but I’m 100% in support of it being legalised. I’ve had people in my life that have lived in pain for many many years and to see them struggle is just heartbreaking, taking a huge emotional toll on not just them but the family as a whole. I will always love the people I lost with all my heart, but I would trade having less time with them in an instant when they lived in so much pain and it felt that they were gone long before they passed

• Heart
Reactions: 9

jackolantern

VIP Member
After watching my Dad die at 53 with unimaginable suffering and my Grandma follow not long after, I am 100% pro Euthanasia being an option for people. Both of them would have chosen to die earlier to avoid the pain they went through and at the end my Grandma quite literally grabbed by hand and begged me to let her die. If only I could have done. It's a pure evil that in a world where we do not chose to be born, we aren't even allowed to chose to die with dignity and as much comfort as possible. They both died in hospices, wasting away to nothing, riddled with cancers with symptoms that little could be done about. In my Grandma's case, as lovely as the staff were, they did make it clear that if she didn't die within a few days she'd have to leave as they needed the bed. She didn't die quick enough for them. The very people who were keeping her alive against her wishes. What about the fact she didn't die quick enough for her?

It's unethical beyond belief to force someone to stay alive when all they have left is pain and discomfort. We do it for our beloved animals and it is the absolute kindest thing you can ever do, to end someone's suffering for them when there is nothing else left.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

AnderbeauJohnson

VIP Member
I like the idea (I say I like the idea loosely, but you get my drift) of being able to die on 'your terms' if you are terminally ill and things like that but I do worry that making it legal would open a whole can of ethical worms. Who knows what'll happen in the future?
I also worry that someone might feel like (or be told that) they are a burden on their 'family / carers / society' and choose to die sooner than they actually want to.

• Sad

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
Out of curiosity, what do people think about cases where the person isn't suffering from a terminal illness but from a psychiatric illness or personality disorder? It seems like doctors in the Netherlands can't agree

Obviously put a big trigger warning for reading this article

I think this is a lot more complicated, but ultimately, if a person wants to die, surely it is kinder to allow them to do so with no margin for error. I worked in care when I was younger, one of our service users had brain damage from a failed suicide attempt. He was desperately unhappy and frustrated but no longer had the ability to end his life. Having worked with him and met his family I think he should have had the opportunity to die with dignity. However, not all cases would be like this and I can see why ethicists and doctors are caught up in disagreements over it.

• Heart

Felix08

Chatty Member
I live in The Netherlands where it´s legal. I also work in a place where euthanasia has been done.
It´s also not very easy to have it done, it takes time.
There is also an end of life clinic here who decides if you can end your life.

I also know cases where people had bad mental health problems and wanted euthanasia. They did not get it because they were required to get proper mental health help before being referred to a clinic.

Reactions: 7
I like the idea (I say I like the idea loosely, but you get my drift) of being able to die on 'your terms' if you are terminally ill and things like that but I do worry that making it legal would open a whole can of ethical worms. Who knows what'll happen in the future?

glasgow27

VIP Member
I’m very pro euthanasia, it should absolutely be legalised. I think it’s disgusting that we can’t allow people to die of their own volition and instead make them rot away in pain, that is inhumane!

There’s also the question of what happens when really old. I’m young just now but my biggest fear would be becoming elderly and wasting away in a care home. I never want that to happen to me, I’d far rather bow out at 80 having lived a good life than spend the next 5 or so years in a home. I know that some of my family were slightly relieved when my grandmother passed a few years ago because she was just getting frail and I think that was difficult for her and them.

• Heart

blackmasque

I know this is going to be a controversial opinion but I think people should be able to die peacefully and with dignity whenever they choose to, regardless of whether or not they have health issues or mental illness (and regardless of severity if they do have them).

Reactions: 6

JoeBloggs

VIP Member

That's the most tragic story I have read in ages :( Let people in pain who aren't going to get better and feel a burden have the option to die FFS!!!! We've a shortage of medical staff and carers and yet they have to spend their time tending to people who don't want to be here when they could spend more time with those that can be around for a long time to come. The ridiculous rules of the pandemic stopped them going to Switzerland but it's mad you can't do it in the UK. Pets that can't be helped are put to sleep. Animals are treated better than humans.
How sad, to go through all that and then a trial of murder. I know it is the law but there needs to be some lenience in such circumstances. What would putting him in prison do exactly.

Humans have ever right to a dignified death, especially for the terminally ill who wish to end it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

MyLittlePony25

VIP Member
I’m very pro euthanasia. My Nan suffered horribly with lung cancer that spread to her bones.
myself and my parents have had the conversation about euthanasia and all agree that people should have the right to die with dignity if terminally ill.

I’ve just watched ‘Mary Kills People’ which is a drama about a doctor who provides assisted suicide and it actually is really good. It’s on channel 4OD for anyone who may want to watch it.

as for euthanasia for psychiatric disorders, it’s a hard one. I myself have mental illnesses and have attempted many a time. But am I glad I haven’t ‘succeeded’, yes. Right now I am. But maybe in the future I will decide that I do not want to live and should I have the right to decide? I guess it depends on the length of illness and impact it has had on your life. I certainly do not want to experience such dark times again and will do all I can to stay well, but if I could have the option? Possibly. It took the girl in the article posted previously, years to get the go ahead for assisted suicide but has since decided not to go ahead with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
I’m also very pro euthanasia. I’ve watch all of my grandparents lose all dignity and desire for their lives living well into their 90s. All asking for it to be over.

I have a family friend who was put on the Liverpool pathway without their families consent, horrific and can’t quite believe anyone signed it off.

I believe there must be a way where people can request and be approved to effectively be put down. We do it to pets to put them out of the misery, why can we not do it to humans. I always think of the man who has a life long illness where he is trapped in his own body. He’s begged the courts and they have said no, how is that fair. If he was able to he could commit suicide but he doesn’t have the ability due to his condition.

Reactions: 5