Eurovision Song Contest 2022 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow that was such a great night, so much excitement. I'd forgotten what it was like to be excited at the voting stage.

Sam was a fantastic ambassador for our country 🥰 He's going to be a big star 🌟
Good luck to him and to the Ukrainian guys who will be returning home to fight for their country.

I was a bit surprised that Norway didn't do better because it was fun. The Spanish girl gave a great performance but I can't remember the song.

It was interesting that the jury votes were the opposite to the peoples vote in some cases:

Switzerland- juries liked it but no votes from the public
Serbia - low with the juries but high with the public
Australia- high with the juries but not so high with the public
Which country’s song is the bit in bold referring to?

Probably a massively unpopular opinion, but in these cost of living times could the thing not be rejigged to not be such a financial burden on the host? Even if that's just to encourage more tourism to the host to recoup the costs. The baftas are on the BBC and have sponsors I think?

In the grand scheme of things 15-20 million for a wealthy country to host it isn't much but still there seems to be some truth in countries not wanting to win it and have the expense.

---

In 2017, Kyiv (Ukraine) allocated 37 million euros. In 2015, Vienna (Austria) spent 32.8 million euros. In 2019, Tel Aviv (Israel) used €28.5 million. In 2018, Portugal (Lisbon) allocated 23 million euros. In 2021, Rotterdam (Netherlands) spent 19 million and in 2016 Stockholm (Sweden) spent 14 million.
Wow I didn't realise it cost so much. No wonder the BBC have been sending crap for years 😄
I don't see how the Ukraine can host next year without any assistance.
Which country’s song is the bit in bold referring to?
Que?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Not taking the vote away from Ukraine as it was a good song but ironic how you can’t vote for your own country but there’s about 5/6 million Ukraine refugees living in other countries enabling them to vote for their own 😂😂🙈🙈

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
Not taking the vote away from Ukraine as it was a good song but ironic how you can’t vote for your own country but there’s about 5/6 million Ukraine refugees living in other countries enabling them to vote for their own 😂😂🙈🙈
I'd not thought of that. TBH won't take it away from them, they've had a tit year.

Reactions: 8
That's actually a very good point I'm terms of people disbursed around Europe. Usually all the Turkish people living in Germany place Turkey high in their rankings (although Turkey were missing this year).

Its been going on for years so a country with less people leaving than are coming in (eg France, UK, Germany) don't have a large population living outside their borders to vote for them.

Reactions: 3
I still haven’t recovered from the fact France, Germany and Belgium gave us 12 points in the jury vote!🙈

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I still haven’t recovered from the fact France, Germany and Belgium gave us 12 points in the jury vote!🙈
France in particular ... could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard "douse points, le Royaume-Uni' 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: 18
My favorite moment was when France gave United kingdom 12 points but United kingdom had no idea because they didn't know what "United kingdom" translates to in french. Completely understandable though as it haven't been said in Eurovision for 25 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
My favorite moment was when France gave United kingdom 12 points but United kingdom had no idea because they didn't know what "United kingdom" translates to in french. Completely understandable though as it haven't been said in Eurovision for 25 years.
I knew. I’ve had Royaume-Uni implanted in my brain for the last 30+ years

It was nice to hear it again

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I knew. I’ve had Royaume-Uni implanted in my brain for the last 30+ years

It was nice to hear it again
Yeah it’s been so long since we’ve heard it, but back in the day we’d hear it all the time during the contest.

Reactions: 5
The way the thread went from cheering the countries who gave us 12 points to "duck off Australia" reminded me of this clip 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Was anyone genuinely shocked that mika was tall?
Surprisingly tall! I don't know why I was surprised by it.

Yeah it’s been so long since we’ve heard it, but back in the day we’d hear it all the time during the contest.
You definitely heard much more French, and the host country's language (if not French-speaking) back in the day. I quite liked all that, but I love languages.

Reactions: 4
I don't view it as a sympathy vote, I view it as a duck you to russia tbh.
Have to agree. For me, whilst Eurovision is a song contest, it's about bringing people together through music and shared peaceful values. On that basis I have no problem with Ukraine winning regardless if theirs was the best song or not. The fact we came second is just incredible and a few months ago, no one could have imagined it. I'm over the moon with the result. I'm still trying to pick my jaw off the floor at getting 12 points from France. Also, last night I had never heard our song, I had never heard of Sam at all, I had no clue who he is. This morning I'd divorce my husband and marry Sam if he chapped the door and asked me :LOL: He was an absolute joy to watch, he totally embodied the spirit of the competition and is exceptionally talented.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I said that to my daughter (who is 25) when I whooped and she looked blank :ROFLMAO:

I said 'I haven't heard that in a long time'.

• Haha
Just to add, I'm disappointed Latvia didn't make the final show, I'd have loved to see Salad For Two going live to hundreds of millions round the world! 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Well, I’m honestly satisfied with Ukraine winning. I thought before the contest that I wouldn’t be happy with it but it’s nice to see Europe standing with them in this capacity also

Mahmood’s vocals sounded so much better last night but what was Blanco doing? It honestly felt like they both gave up on trying to an extent 😬

Interested to see how the EBU or whoever deal with the jury voting drama. Still don’t understand what was so suspicious about those votes. I definitely thing some of the jury votes for Ukraine were political and not very valid on those grounds

France in particular ... could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard "douse points, le Royaume-Uni' 🤯
I think they said ' Royaume Uni' and there was a stunned silence while people tried to process it 😁

Probably a massively unpopular opinion, but in these cost of living times could the thing not be rejigged to not be such a financial burden on the host? Even if that's just to encourage more tourism to the host to recoup the costs. The baftas are on the BBC and have sponsors I think?

In the grand scheme of things 15-20 million for a wealthy country to host it isn't much but still there seems to be some truth in countries not wanting to win it and have the expense.

---

In 2017, Kyiv (Ukraine) allocated 37 million euros. In 2015, Vienna (Austria) spent 32.8 million euros. In 2019, Tel Aviv (Israel) used €28.5 million. In 2018, Portugal (Lisbon) allocated 23 million euros. In 2021, Rotterdam (Netherlands) spent 19 million and in 2016 Stockholm (Sweden) spent 14 million.
Wow I didn't realise it cost so much! How much do the xoinrries pay to be on the European broadcasting whatever?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.