Equestrian off topic

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had planned to box up to the South Downs today, but due to the weather we postponed. Fed up with the wet

Same, the fields are boggy, our hacking routes are boggy and my mares thrush has reared its ugly head again šŸ™„ The joys of horses in winter

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I am fed up of rain too . Luckily my fields are quite fast draining so I donā€™t worry much, Iā€™ve not had to keep them in this year yet! Iā€™d like to open up the back half of my main field but I do want some old grass left for spring so havenā€™t as of yet as if it becomes a mud pit Iā€™ll only have fresh new shoots.

I am on clay in the North West, so my field is resembling a big pond at the moment. Iā€™m so fed up, so far this winter Iā€™ve had 2 abscesses and some cellulitis from mud fever. I havenā€™t ridden in over a month now either as itā€™s too dark by the time I get chance ā˜¹

I am on clay in the North West, so my field is resembling a big pond at the moment. Iā€™m so fed up, so far this winter Iā€™ve had 2 abscesses and some cellulitis from mud fever. I havenā€™t ridden in over a month now either as itā€™s too dark by the time I get chance ā˜¹
We are clay, pig oil &sulphur is great for preventing mud fever, you only need apply once a week, but resist the temptation to hose. i just paint it on. buy the oil online and add your own yellow sulphur. Much cheaper than the small 1 litre from the tack shop.

not the cheapest but free delivery.

red horse stuff is good for foot hygiene. Abscesses are a nightmare. If you can train your horse to stand with his/her foot in a bucket of hot water and Epsom salts it really helps.

Reactions: 1
If you think itā€™s wet now just wait until beast from the east round 2 we will all need a bloody ark when it melts. Reading here Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one with wet as duck fields. Iā€™ve never know mine so wet, one of my horseā€™s paddocks never dried over the summer so now looks like a river. The water is running down into the ditch from it and Iā€™ve never known it to do that. I can normally use it until January but havenā€™t used it it for well over a month.

Attachments

If you think itā€™s wet now just wait until beast from the east round 2 we will all need a bloody ark when it melts. Reading here Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one with wet as duck fields. Iā€™ve never know mine so wet, one of my horseā€™s paddocks never dried over the summer so now looks like a river. The water is running down into the ditch from it and Iā€™ve never known it to do that. I can normally use it until January but havenā€™t used it it for well over a month.
Donā€™t worry there is no hint of a second beast from the east on its way in the forecast. These papers talk such crap. Itā€™s likely to get colder but more settled into January so hopefully less rainā€¦ although ice means my arena freezes and the taps freeze and I have to put hay in the fields šŸ¤£ bring on May!

Reactions: 3
We are clay, pig oil &sulphur is great for preventing mud fever, you only need apply once a week, but resist the temptation to hose. i just paint it on. buy the oil online and add your own yellow sulphur. Much cheaper than the small 1 litre from the tack shop.

not the cheapest but free delivery.

red horse stuff is good for foot hygiene. Abscesses are a nightmare. If you can train your horse to stand with his/her foot in a bucket of hot water and Epsom salts it really helps.
My horse in question has a reaction to Pig Oil šŸ˜­ but otherwise on my other horses yes itā€™s my go to, great stuff. Iā€™ve been using Muddi-Med this winter after some recommendations but itā€™s expensive ā˜¹ luckily sheā€™s well trained with the foot bucket, itā€™s just a pain isnā€™t it, constant problems for her. My other horses cope with the wet mud absolutely fine with minimal issues.

Donā€™t worry there is no hint of a second beast from the east on its way in the forecast. These papers talk such crap. Itā€™s likely to get colder but more settled into January so hopefully less rainā€¦ although ice means my arena freezes and the taps freeze and I have to put hay in the fields šŸ¤£ bring on May!
They say it every year and it hasnā€™t happened yet šŸ˜‚

Hunt were about yesterday for the third time in as many weeks. Set mine off who ran straight past me at bringing in time and disappeared into the darkness. Took an hour and a call to a friend with thermal binos to locate them and then a long walk home in the dark. Luckily all on our farmland and nowhere near a road. Would have never had found them without the thermals in the dark.
Iā€™m stiff this morning from wading through the mud to get them šŸ˜«

• Wow
Interested to get horsey people's opinions as I'm potentially considering moving yards.
I just have the one mare, at the moment she is at my friend's field which is about 20 mins drive away. Friend and her mum live close to field and she has 4 other horses (all live out 24/7 all year round) so they do morning checks and I just go over 4-5 times a week to poo pick, ride etc. No issues if I am away on holiday or anything as friend will cover it. Negatives are no stables, ground very boggy atm and hacking routes are ok, could be better.
If I move I could potentially get DIY in or close to my town so 5-10 mins drive for me but obviously I'd need to go every day. Its unlikely to be 24/7 turnout in winter but a stable might be helpful atm with mares recurring thrush issue. Obviously if I was on holiday I'd need to pay for cover but potentially better hacking routes around here.
---
Reading it back I think maybe I'm mad to consider moving! I think maybe the drive seems worse in winter and I'm always fighting to get things done in daylight. The thrush is also a concern atm as I can't get her off the mud. Was thinking of doing cleantrax to try and get on top of it but seems to be out of stock everywhere šŸ˜’

Interested to get horsey people's opinions as I'm potentially considering moving yards.
I just have the one mare, at the moment she is at my friend's field which is about 20 mins drive away. Friend and her mum live close to field and she has 4 other horses (all live out 24/7 all year round) so they do morning checks and I just go over 4-5 times a week to poo pick, ride etc. No issues if I am away on holiday or anything as friend will cover it. Negatives are no stables, ground very boggy atm and hacking routes are ok, could be better.
If I move I could potentially get DIY in or close to my town so 5-10 mins drive for me but obviously I'd need to go every day. Its unlikely to be 24/7 turnout in winter but a stable might be helpful atm with mares recurring thrush issue. Obviously if I was on holiday I'd need to pay for cover but potentially better hacking routes around here.
---
Reading it back I think maybe I'm mad to consider moving! I think maybe the drive seems worse in winter and I'm always fighting to get things done in daylight. The thrush is also a concern atm as I can't get her off the mud. Was thinking of doing cleantrax to try and get on top of it but seems to be out of stock everywhere šŸ˜’

Iā€™d stay!!

Sole cleanse and the field paste from red horse are good. Also make sure your trim/shoeing is best for mares conformation. I struggled with central sulcus for a long while despite everything really struggled to get on top of it however after changing farriers for unrelated reasons, realised that the previous trim left contracted heels which allowed the infection to get stuck

Thanks for the reply, yes I think I've answered my own question really, just feeling a bit frustrated with things at the min. I've recently started using the red horse field paste, I'm cleaning her feet with milton, drying as best I can, then putting field paste on and waiting 20 mins or so for it to dry a bit before I turn her back out
I think she's probably had it since I bought her and I've never fully got rid. She has very deep grooves particularly on her hind feet, and she doesn't seem to dislodge mud when she walks in the way that other horses do. She's barefoot and I have a trimmer rather than farrier who seems very knowledgeable and has been helpful with the ongoing thrush. She's due a trim again next week so I'll see how it goes, I could always get someone else out next time though

Field paste was the only thing that ever worked for my ancient one, who was very prone to thrush - worked miracles.

Apple cider vinegar & water 50:50 with a dash of eucalyptus oil. Spray daily.

A wire brush is also very helpful to scrub the feet with.

Field paste / hoof clay as people have said is good stuff and if you have a deep central sulcus then you can shove some red horse ā€œhoof stuffā€ down there too. Use a hoof pick to really get it in there as far as you can get it!

Can you make a feeding pad out of mud mats or something similar? I know itā€™s been terrible winter but they arenā€™t all this bad and 24 hour turnout is like hens teeth round us.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into the mud mats, and the apple cider vinegar

Are everyone's fields drying out a bit now we've had a few days of cold but sunny weather? Trimmer wasn't too concerned by my mares feet, said they're not as bad as they were in oct. The field paste does definitely seem to be helping. And we've moved them into the top end of their current paddock and it's actually drying out quite nicely at the min so hope it stays that way!

Are everyone's fields drying out a bit now we've had a few days of cold but sunny weather? Trimmer wasn't too concerned by my mares feet, said they're not as bad as they were in oct. The field paste does definitely seem to be helping. And we've moved them into the top end of their current paddock and it's actually drying out quite nicely at the min so hope it stays that way!
One of mine is still under water. It never dried out fully last summer so it wonā€™t be drying out anytime soon. The ground is frozen though so my other field is ā€œdryā€.