English Channel migrant crossing crisis #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Human rights lawyers are being ‘monitored’ by government, minister admits | openDemocracy

Jenrick was responding to a question from Liberal Democrat MP Alistair Carmichael, who had challenged him to provide evidence for his claim that lawyers were abusing the law.
The minister did not do so, but said: “We are monitoring the activities, as it so happens, of a small number of legal practitioners, but it is not appropriate for me to discuss that here.”
Also mentions that they are monitoring the far-right groups but that's hardly a surprise as they possibly fall under anti-terrorism

I wonder what questions they'll ask. And considering not all asylum seekers speak English, this looks like a way to quickly and potentially unfairly work against certain groups of people.

It also conveniently takes the responsibility off the government because they may just refuse people on this flimsy basis.

Reactions: 1
They'd be of interest to Prevent, right? Although I wonder how fit for purpose that org is when nothing seems to ever improve.
I think they'd be of interest to all branches of the anti-terrorism strategy. I know there was some talk a few weeks ago when something or other got updated to focus more on the far-right and it seemed to be controversial for some reason
---

I wonder what questions they'll ask. And considering not all asylum seekers speak English, this looks like a way to quickly and potentially unfairly work against certain groups of people.

It also conveniently takes the responsibility off the government because they may just refuse people on this flimsy basis.
There's already a questionnaire some of them receive with a deadline. Most don't seem to get returned because people don't know how to fill it out, and it's generally recommended to wait for a lawyer to do it with you and an interpreter

What really concerns me is that a lot of their recent possible policies appear to be intending targeting people who don't yet have lawyers and therefore can't navigate the legal system. I won't be surprised if this is one of those ways

Reactions: 3
Allowing 12,000 immigrants to claim asylum here without proper checks and interviews is going to be a disaster. It won’t effect those like Rishi or Suella but the everyday people.

Reactions: 5
Allowing 12,000 immigrants to claim asylum here without proper checks and interviews is going to be a disaster. It won’t effect those like Rishi or Suella but the everyday people.
"The usual security and criminal checks will still be conducted and biometrics taken, but, for the first time, there will be no face-to-face interviews, say officials."

Reactions: 3
Nonsense politician. How stupid to say you "understand" the reasons which led to people acting violently? No politician should be subtly or explicitly endorsing such actions.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

---
Ireland seem to be still sticking to their new policy where only adults and children will be given accommodation, these men will probably make their way to the UK to be housed.

---

Last edited:
I think most of them may understand it they teach English in Albania as far as I know.

I think most of them may understand it they teach English in Albania as far as I know.
Albanians aren't getting these questionnaires, it's only select nationalities which are very likely to have their claims accepted

Albanians aren't getting these questionnaires, it's only select nationalities which are very likely to have their claims accepted
I thought as they’re the largest group claiming asylum they would have something in place to fast track them .

I thought as they’re the largest group claiming asylum they would have something in place to fast track them .
It appears that the government is trying to fast track their claims but they're using interviews to do so

It basically means that those who don't get the questionnaire because they're not of a selected nationality will be left in limbo for longer because the focus has shifted and they're already struggling to find and retain employees to do this work

MH failures have been happening for years no matter what nationality you are.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.