Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lanali

We did and it was the best decision ever, absolutely no regrets! Just the two of us in Vegas, a lovely little chapel (not a tacky one), no stress or worrying about anyone else. Our families both knew and were happy with our plans. We did have a big party when we came back which was more for our mum’s sakes rather than our own. I didn’t enjoy it tho as found out I was pregnant two days before the party and only a few close friends and family knew, I had to pretend I was drinking and having a good time when all I wanted to do was go to bed! I’m glad we did have the party now though, nearly four years later

Reactions: 2

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Have any of you eloped, just the two of you and then had a party when you got back? How did it go?

We are engaged and in the beginning stages of wedding planning. I've never been the girl to dream of a big wedding, and my fiance and I have a small family and friend group. My family is in the UK and his the other side of the country. We are both introverted and I especially hate the idea of attention on me walking down the aisle, etc. Also, with my family overseas, the thought of wedding dress shopping makes me upset as my mum isn't here. Honestly, I would be quite happy going away to our favourite destination just the two of us and getting married, having nice photos done. My fiance isn't so sure. I also don't really see the point of spending such a huge amount of money on a wedding, and we would also be having an adult only wedding if we were to have it here. I read Kate La Vie's blog posts and watched her videos about eloping and she and her husband's reasons to elope seemed very similar.

I am just curious of people's opinions that have gone through it.

Mayday

VIP Member
I would def elope, just because its so much cheaper and planning a wedding seems stressful!

If anyone gets upset over it, you could always live stream a bit on the day so it feels like they're there (if its not too much hassle), or Facetime them before the ceremony so they can see you both in your outfits and such?

Guacamole123

Chatty Member
We’re considering eloping in the US. Originally wanted a big wedding, but I have a much smaller friendship group and family compared to my fiancé so I feel like our wedding would be 80% his side and 20% mine. I don’t see the point in spending c.10k on one day! We’ve considered either an elopement in NYC (it’s where we got engaged too so holds special memories) with a quick ceremony and hire a photographer for a few hours to get photos at the landmarks, or a fun boozy vegas wedding!

Reactions: 1

bubbletea123

VIP Member
More convinced than ever that we will elope, especially after everything with covid. Not sure how travel will be but whenever we can go to California and it is "safe" we likely will. Definitely don't want to spend a lot of money on a wedding. I feel bad for people who had planned a wedding for this year and now it is cancelled.

• Heart

4tuhju

I got engaged last Sept and we were going to plan a smallish wedding abroad for next year. My thoughts are exactly like yours op, the thought of having a massive wedding walking down the isle being centre of attention is a no for me. Everything going on at the moment has made me really think about what I want. We thought that going away with a few close friends and family would be the least stressful option, but when I've thought about it I actually hate going on group holidays I find them really stressful, so I've gone completely off the idea. Registry office wedding, party afterwards with dear friends and fam suits me perfectly. Asos do wedding dresses I've just learned too, that'll do nicely. I want the marriage not the wedding.
Pls let us know what you end up doing (whatever makes you happy) ❤

JD-Morgan

I never dreamed of a wedding either and can completely relate to not wanting to be the center of attention. We got married at the City Hall in Manhattan, alone. No party after, just a stroll to Chinatown for lunch. No regrets 🥰
This is exactly what me and my partner are planning to do when we book our next trip to New York.

How easy was it to get married over there? Is there a lot to do?

Everdene

It wasn't really an elopement for us. We are digital nomads and lived in Asia when we got engaged. We were thinking of a long engagement since we didn't look forward to a wedding but liked the idea of the memories of a wedding day, if that makes sense. Pre wedding shoots are really popular in Asia (you have a full day of wedding pictures being taken on gorgeous locations and dress/hair/makeup changes throughout the day are included, anything you desired). So we booked a package and it was the most loveliest and special day. It felt like a grand wedding but we didn't have to plan anything or do anything basically (and we for sure have the best wedding pictures now). Shortly after we returned to our home country to legally wed.

My mother expressed her deep wish (respectfully) to have at least something more special than a courthouse wedding. We had a gorgeous teeny tiny wedding in a nature reserve that we planned and executed in like 2-3 weeks. In hindsight I'm so glad we didn't go for the courthouse wedding after all. It felt really special to have our parents/siblings there to share the moment. It was hassle free just like we wanted. But I am very happy we had that private "wedding" day in Asia too.

• Heart

midnightrose

VIP Member
We are eloping in April. Getting married in St Lucia on the beach. Similar reasons to you. Plus we are combining the honeymoon with the wedding. Only my parents will be attending. For me, a wedding and marriage is a spiritual commitment between me and my partner. We are considering having a party later on in the year to celebrate with family and friends. This will likely be small, and at a pub or nice function room. We also want to keep costs down. I used to want a big wedding, but it seems unnecessary to me now.

also not sure I’ll be having a hen do, just not really that keen on the idea, and I’ve only got a handful of friends anyway.

4tuhju

Beach Wedding in Mauritius. No planning beforehand, once i arrived in Mauritius i got a wedding planner from hotel and we planned the whole thing in 2 days. i did not want my wedding to be spectator sport.
Love this!