Electric Cars

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a courtesy car at the minute and the difference having a car a couple of years newer has made me question whether to upgrade.

I looked at the price for mine and had a butchers at electric vehicles. I love the look of the e-golf, does anyone have one or another electric vehicle?

I think with all the uncertainty around fuel prices this has crossed a lot of peoples’ minds. I know the perks will change long-term as more people migrate to electric etc.

Reactions: 2
I have an electric car, got one second hand. Obviously the newer ones have a decent range, mine is only about 80 miles but it's enough for me. Costs me around £20-25 per month with driving 3-5 times a week to work and shopping weekends etc. Cost in fuel would probably be around 100 quid at least for same journeys, probably more now, so it's good in that sense

I bought an electric cycle in August. I can honestly say, that they are the best inovation since digital photography. The technology is improving all the time.
However if you enjoy cycling, I would recommend that you also have an ordinary push bike. Electric cycles are great, but they can give you a false sense of fitness, because you are not using the same amount of energy riding an e-bike as you would with an ordinary cycle.

I've had an id.4 since last August and I love it. I chose it for the minimal interior, but cheaper than a Tesla! Also, there was a hefty rebate that you didn't get with buying a Tesla. I bagged a first edition that was a demo model so it has all the bells and whistles. I would find it very hard to go back to buying a non electric. I went from a hybrid to this, and the difference is quite striking.

My parents have an electric car and they have mentioned a few things:
- They bought a small model as generally they just do short trips. It's great for local trips but the issue comes if they want to travel further as it has a smaller battery (smaller car, less mileage).
- Unless you buy a Tesla/live in a big city, there isn't always the infrastructure to support charging the vehicle. There are lots of different companies that own charging points and they all have different apps. There are also different types of charging connections.
- There doesn't seem to be a way (currently) to identify whether the nearest compatible fast-charging point is being used so you run the risk of finding out there's nowhere to charge your car when you get there.
- Estimated mileage is much lower if you're driving fast on a motorway (as with petrol cars).
I think the infrastructure is constantly improving so these things will change rapidly, but my parents have a love-hate relationship with their car. They love it for their day-to-day, but are completely put off visiting us (normally 4 hours drive) as it requires two charges because there's no charging places halfway at the moment and so it takes all day!

I have a Nissan Leaf , I absolutely love it. We have an older one so only 120 ish km. we also have a diesel car which will be gone next year to be replaced with either the ionic or MG electric. Very good range on either. Once the range is good , charging isn’t an issue, you will be in the habit of charging at home at night if it needs it. I am in rural Ireland where there is crap infrastructure for electric cars but it’s not a huge issue. I also travel up to dublin several times a week which will be a lot easier and cheaper when we get the second ev. Would highly recommend, only thing I would advise is to get an ev with good range.

Just to add I have an app that tells me if someone is using the chargers.

Not sure if you’re in Ireland but if you are we have an esb e-car app and it lets you know if ev chargers are in use or not.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning that infrastructure will get better in the next few years as more electric cars are being used so in the next few years charging should become more accessible

Reactions: 1
Big no for me. I drive for the convenience. An electric car seems the opposite of that.
Until you have to go get fuel, then electric car is a major convenience.

For me it's a lot more convenient than a standard car but I don't do journey so defo can see how it wouldn't be if you have to stop to charge

Will you be able to charge your car at home? Someone on my street has an electric Hyundai and they have had a charging socket fitted beside their front door so they can charge it on the drive. I wouldn't consider they idea unless there is somewhere to charge it.

Reactions: 4
I love my car - Ioniq fully electric - but wish it was petrol. I can't charge at my home due to no off street parking and find it stressful keeping charged and hate longer journeys.

Reactions: 3
I love my car - Ioniq fully electric - but wish it was petrol. I can't charge at my home due to no off street parking and find it stressful keeping charged and hate longer journeys.
The family beside me have another car too , so I think they use that if they go somewhere unfamiliar or far away.

I’m on my second electric car. First was a Nissan Lead but the ‘new’ type. Lovely car and range was good, especially in summer. Now have a Jaguar and that has a longer range. I wouldn’t go back to non- electric now. At a push, I’d have a hybrid. Here are more chargers around, but more people using them.

My longest drive was from the north down to Cornwall. Charging was fine until I got to Cornwall! I have a small drive and a charging point on my house. Not sure it would be practical without that.

I’d love to drive over to France in it, but not sure what the infrastructure for charging is like there. I have driven in Belgium and Netherlands plus up to Scotland. All good there.

Reactions: 3
Will you be able to charge your car at home? Someone on my street has an electric Hyundai and they have had a charging socket fitted beside their front door so they can charge it on the drive. I wouldn't consider they idea unless there is somewhere to charge it.
Yes, we have a charger at home.

I’ve got a courtesy car at the minute and the difference having a car a couple of years newer has made me question whether to upgrade.

I looked at the price for mine and had a butchers at electric vehicles. I love the look of the e-golf, does anyone have one or another electric vehicle?

I think with all the uncertainty around fuel prices this has crossed a lot of peoples’ minds. I know the perks will change long-term as more people migrate to electric etc.
Did you ever buy the e-golf? I'm considering one and wanted to know if you'd had any opinions!

Did you ever buy the e-golf? I'm considering one and wanted to know if you'd had any opinions!
I didn’t, I was worried about maintenance costs and the higher insurance. The car was a 20/21 model and I figured I’d want it for about 3-4 years so it could be nearing replacement battery time when I’d be looking to sell. It wouldn’t have been practical either as there are no local charging points. There are plenty of rave reviews for it online but I did find feedback from owners who’d faced expensive issues.