Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

dorydaryl

Chatty Member
Dusty was such an inspirational person; taking a stand against apartheid South Africa years before it was a cause celebre; always championing black musicians both in the U.K. and US, at a time when that could have harmed her own career; completely reinventing herself in the 80s and finding a whole new audience.

It’s sad and frustrating she died when she did. She could conceivably have been around still today (I can defo see her smashing the Legends Slot at Glastonbury).

Side note, but I can’t believe she never got a Bond theme.
Dusty was a one off. Shame she was up against Cilla Black, who considered herself THE British vocal female icon of the day. For me, Dusty wiped the floor with her. She studied all kinds of music and worked closely with the Motown and Soul legends. 'Discovered' her music after she was gone and was utterly fascinated with her. Read quite a bit about her. What a life and character! Was gutted she passed so relatively young.

Reactions: 13

Cassandra333

VIP Member
I've loved reading this thread so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Alastair Sim. One of the greatest actors of his era and thoroughly nice man. Loved all his films but especially the St Trinians films.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

mickeycat

Chatty Member
I loved Diana, one of my favourite characters she played was Mrs Wickens. She played some really good parts and she was a very witty clever lady. I was very sad when she died.

As a teenager in the late 80s, I was really into old films and movie stars. I remember I read both Diana Dors biographies from the library. I don't now remember much of it, apart from how glamorous it all seemed. I do remember some sex-related revelations about Bob Monkhouse, which slightly blew my mind at the time as I only knew him as a cheesy old gameshow host. I don't think it was anything that scandalous, just I'd been completely unaware of his promiscuous past and was agog at the idea anyone might fancy what I perceived to be an old man. Ah, the arrogance of youth!
I think I need to read those books again now as an adult with some life experience behind me. They'd be much more interesting now.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
The english actress Susan Shaw was another one who died tragically young, from a drinking problem, which started after her husband was killed in a car accident.

I actually met her at a party in 1974, my mum was heavily pregnant with my sister, I was 9 years old at the time.
I'd never heard of her but my mum knew who she was, and was slightly starstruck on meeting her. Susan was dating a friend of the party hostess, apparently she got very drunk at the party and had to be taken home by her boyfriend. We missed all of that, my mum and dad took us home early, as my mum couldn't really enjoy herself, and me and my brother were so young, I think my parents realised that it wasn't going to be a good place for kids that night. My mum won't hear a word against her, she said that she was "lovely" and really nice to talk to.
gettyimages-668669173-2048x2048.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
Next Friday on Talking Pictures.

00.45am. The Beast in the Cellar. Stars Flora Robson, Beryl Reid and Tessa Wyatt. When soldiers in rural Lancashire keep being murdered, two middle-aged women fear the culprit might be their brother, who has been living in the cellar for 30 years. A real-life Cellar Dweller!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

House of Tea

VIP Member
One of my favourite ever TV moments, when Hilda opens Stan's glasses case. Such a seemingly small thing that symbolised so much. She has held herself together through Stan dying and looking over his things from the hospital, but when she opens that case, she's gone. So, so powerful.
A million light years from where it is now. I stopped watching it when Pat Phelan had some guy chained up in a basement. And Eastenders way before that. We need light relief not shouty angst and misery. Remember Corrie’s Blanche? Fab writing.

• Heart

Eureka

VIP Member
Does anyone remember a group of ladies called the Rolly Pollies? I often wonder if any of them are still with us?

• Haha

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
I didn't know whether to mention David Niven but he is so under rated. Excellent comic timing.
Yes, I agree. He had a rather unhappy last marriage, I've heard, and one of his wives died after an accident at a friend's party.

His memoirs always used to be in charity shops and were a good read (although it's many years since I've read them).

dorydaryl

Chatty Member
I grew up watching DJ and I hope to god the stuff I have read is just people making it up. The one thing that gives me cause for concern is the things he is now coming out with as if he feels because of who he is, no one will care. More so since the guy who investigated Saville did say there were two other huge names out there he knows are guilty but they are untouchable because of who they are. He gave the names to the police who looked into it but since no one is willing to say anything or come forward, nothing can be done. He thinks like Saville, it will only be when they die that people will feel it's okay to tell their stories but it will be too late to do anything about it.

Do we ever learn? Honestly. If there is enough evidence, nobody should be exempt from facing justice. It's awful that there are people out there having been at the receiving end of the behaviours of some of these perps who know what they will have to go through if they ever spoke out. They will be the ones on trial, too, and some of them just won't want to have to relive what they have gone through. It's infuriating.

On a side-note, I never liked the character of 'Del Boy' Trotter anyway. I thought he was a lecherous, self-serving, mercenary little creep. Will leave it there.

• Wow

Eureka

VIP Member
Any Dirk Bogarde fans? I had such a crush on him when I was younger. Just a stunning looking man.

• Heart

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
Just got me talking pics email..next Saturday earlies sixties film 1964.next Saturday.

This week’s big film premiere is Sidney J. Furie’s 1964 drama The Leather Boyson Saturday at 9.30pm, in which the swift marriage of a young couple begins to crumble after husband Reggie meets a handsome mod. This classic British filmhas a fantastic cast that includes Rita Tushingham, Dudley Sutton, Colin Campbell, Dandy Nichols and Johnny Briggs. Set at the Ace café, there are brilliant locations and a must for bikers!

• Heart
  • Wow