Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
I was going to mention her. I liked her a lot and she always seemed to be in things during my childhood. I have a bit of a weakness for atrocious spin-off films of those kind of sit-coms and the George and Mildred one finds George Roper being mistaken for an international hitman, with predictable consequences....
I watched that film a couple of years ago on Talking Pictures channel. It was actually good and and the actor who played George Roper ( Brian something) was very funny. I heard that Yootha died early from alcoholism. Very sad.

Reactions: 7

Jerry Garcia

Chatty Member
Cathy Come Home is amazing, heartbreaking and unforgettable. It's on Youtube if anyone who hasn't seen it would like to check it out...I'd be keen on discussing it here
Ken Loach and Nell Dunn - what a combination of genius! I also love Up the Junction, which youll certainly know, again so real you'd think it was a documentary.

Jerry Garcia

Chatty Member
I love these old British films, eg Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, with Albert Finney and Rachel Roberts, and A Kind of Loving with Alan Bates; Thora Hird was also in it.
You'd love Billy Liar ( if you don't already!)

Another great film is This is My Street, starring June Ritchie and a very young John Hurt, based on the novel of the same name written by Nan Maynard, a very prolific author now sadly out of print. Those of you who like kitchen sink dramas would devour her books - if you see any second hand, I'd urge you to buy

Last edited:
  • Heart

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
These films are such a good watch. Janette Scott was so beautiful. Ian hunter starred in some good dramas, I find him very watchable. Also Carol White of Cathy come home and also other films, a great actress, they were her own kids in Kathy come home. Some of these films are so emotional although I often forget a lot of film titles I remember the films.
Sparrows can't sing? Babs Windsor, she was so petite and cute and I think she sang the theme tune. I would have loved to have seen her in many more dramas.
Very Sad about Carol white, also in a film with Oliver Reed wasn’t she?
we have some lovely films to look back on.

• Heart
  • Sad

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
My parents enjoyed the Old Mother Riley films with Arthur Lucan and Kitty McShane, which were repeated at cinemas in the 50s/60s. Not much on Youtube other than a few short clips. I believe Talking Pictures shows them periodically. It may have partly inspired Mrs Brown (which I hate)
Mother Riley.. 😍 My bother and I loved those films

Also loved Norman Wisdom. laughed and cried with him .. He didn't have the best start in life and I think his films reflected that, Probably why they had such a affect on me.

Hailey Mills in whistle down the wind? Great film. Loved Hailey .. She lost most of her fortune due to taxation when she came of age to collect it there was hardly anything there.

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
The tragedy of her early demise from cancer, followed shortly by her husband's suicide, leaving their child an orphan. Jason Dors Lake himself died prematurely aged 50, alcohol and substance abuse were believed to be a factor.

If Diana had been a cancer survivor, how different everything could have been. She was a very talented, but underrated actress, and marketed as a budget Marilyn Monroe.
Watching Diana now on channel 81 in a film called The Last Page made in 1952. She is marvellous.

MrsFawlty

Chatty Member
She's been in so many things. Superb in Victim with Dirk Bogarde, about a man being blackmailed for being gay. A brave film for 1961. I love Dirk Bogarde too.
Such a brilliant film on so many levels. Check out his memoirs, he was a great writer too. Sylvia Sims vastly underrated.

dorydaryl

Chatty Member
Yes,he was so well respected on there,I haven’t looked at DS for ages,they got rid of show biz thread didn’t they? DS was bloody awful,I have been member since 2006.

I’m sure he said he was in his eighties.
Aw, I liked Walter. He was one of life's 'characters'. Once 'Showbiz' and 'General Discussion' went, so did I. I've dipped in on the odd occasion but the moderation was getting so ridiculous and inconsistent, it sometimes wasn't worth commenting, even on relatively benign topics.

Loved Morecambe and Wise, too. especially Eric. Big kid, he was, but clever with it.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Vivien Leigh had a long term affair with Peter finch and in a Peter finch biography written by his ex wife she said he was upstairs seeing to her (VL) in the bedroom whilst they were all at a party. Cant remember who's house. Peter finch also had a baby with Shirley Bassey also whilst he was married and the girl died in suspicious curcumstances in her 20s?

thegirlscout

VIP Member
For some reason I thought care homes were run by local authorities.
Looked online and it says that Local Authority rates and NHS Continuing Care Funding rates are accepted. I think the difference is possibly it’s more expensive if you can’t get LA rates and continuing care funding (£600 per week) and to be a resident you need to have worked in the entertainment industry.
It looks quite nice inside and out, might start a small acting career just to make sure I can get in when I’m older ;)

Boogs

VIP Member

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
I bought a biography of Charles Hawtrey to read over the weekend. What a guy! Getting banner from every pub in Deal is something only us mortals could aspire to.

Sriracha_on_everything

Don't leave us hanging! Had he any goss about the wonderful La Dors ???

I saw a good documentary a few years ago about Diana Dors and her hubby Alan Lake. Plenty of interviews with friends and such and apparently they had a VERY interesting social life. Parties and sex were the order of the day. Oh la la !!
I'm subscribed to this channel but haven't watched it in full. My word she was stunning, her lips and her facial expression, she looked permanently aroused. What a sex bomb 🔥

• Heart