DWP Benefits

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh I think that is pretty obvious. Given that you have reacted so defensively to such a simple question confirms for me that you, like most who react that way, are exaggerating.
Thank you so for so neatly demonstrating the way working class women are not considered credible witnesses to our own lives. I feel sorry for any you encounter.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Anyway, on topic. Here’s a list of possible crimes I’m not doing anything about-
Amazon dodging tax
Water companies deliberately pumping sewage on the beach
local cafe is a health hazard
still going to moan about it! And benefit fraud.

Reactions: 1
I get LCWRA of £390 per month in addition to UC as I am unable to work at all.
If I was LCA Id be well enough to prepare for finding work and I’d get £146 per month in addition to UC, so you are incorrect
That would be correct assuming you applied for UC before April 2017 or were already receiving the comparable "work related activity' component of ESA. Otherwise you would only receive standard UC (the same as someone looking for work).

From the 'Turn2Us' link that you posted ... "From 3 April 2017, the limited capability for work element will not be available to claimants who claim Universal Credit (UC) on or after this date ..."

PIP is assessed on daily living element and mobility element, and can be awarded at standard or enhanced rate, so there are 4 variations there, plus the impairment might be fluctuating so some elements are assessed on being impaired for 50% of the time, but some aren’t. Therefore it’s near impossible for a casual observer to accurately guess.
Absolutely agree. In many of claims I prepare, even though I have the assessment criteria and guidance to assessors available to me, I still can't predict with any certainty whether PIP will be awarded and if so at what level. The '50% of the time' rule for people who have good days and bad days is a good rule of thumb but even then it's no guarantee and you know that DWP assessors will try to undermine it.

The '50% of the time' rule for people who have good days and bad days is a good rule of thumb but even then it's no guarantee and you know that DWP assessors will try to undermine it.
Years ago I remember being told to fill out the forms based on your worst day, and to never say sometimes as they would assume that means you can, and score zero points. Is the advice different now?

Reactions: 3
Years ago I remember being told to fill out the forms based on your worst day, and to never say sometimes as they would assume that means you can, and score zero points. Is the advice different now?
No. Do not say sometimes. Absolutely fill out the forms based on your worst day.

If the question is can you walk 100 metres, if its likely to take you triple the time of an able bodied person and leave you wiped out the answer is no.

Not 'yes with extreme difficulty or with aides'

I think the mental toll of addressing where your body or mind is failing you can be extremely hard for people. These forms are made that way. Genuine people want to try and do the most their body will allow despite the consequences of that.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It's a difficult one. My job is to ensure that people have the best possible chance to get the benefits to which they are entitled. It's not to get benefits for people who should not have them. So I cannot and would not encourage people to lie in their application. Saying that a condition affects them everyday when it doesn't is a lie and thus effectively attempting benefit fraud. However I can understand the temptation because DWP often try to exploit every opportunity to deny someone benefits.

No. Do not say sometimes. Absolutely fill out the forms based on your worst day.

If the question is can you walk 100 metres, if its likely to take you triple the time of an able bodied person and leave you wiped out the answer is no.

Not 'yes with extreme difficulty or with aides'

I think the mental toll of addressing where your body or mind is failing you can be extremely hard for people. These forms are made that way. Genuine people want to try and do the most their body will allow despite the consequences of that.
The mental toll is spot on. Having to say you can’t do x (even if you can sometimes) feels like lying. Plus mental gymnastics isn’t my strong point.
---
That would be correct assuming you applied for UC before April 2017 or were already receiving the comparable "work related activity' component of ESA. Otherwise you would only receive standard UC (the same as someone looking for work).

From the 'Turn2Us' link that you posted ... "From 3 April 2017, the limited capability for work element will not be available to claimants who claim Universal Credit (UC) on or after this date ..."

Absolutely agree. In many of claims I prepare, even though I have the assessment criteria and guidance to assessors available to me, I still can't predict with any certainty whether PIP will be awarded and if so at what level. The '50% of the time' rule for people who have good days and bad days is a good rule of thumb but even then it's no guarantee and you know that DWP assessors will try to undermine it.
They absolutely do get a payment for LCA
IMG_1870.png

---
The mental toll is spot on. Having to say you can’t do x (even if you can sometimes) feels like lying. Plus mental gymnastics isn’t my strong point.
---

They absolutely do get a payment for LCA
IMG_1870.png
Ok I understand now, it’s not for newer claims since 2017 (who has been LCW since 2017?)

Last edited:
It's a pretty common mistake that claimants make. They exaggerate the effect of their liabilities or health conditions and then get caught in the 'lie' by the assessor. Often it's because the claimant has forgotten what they said on the PIP2 form, gets into a 'friendly' conversation with the assessor and ends up contradicting themselves. That's why when I complete a PIP2 form I always give the claimant a copy and tell them to read it before they attend their assessment. I also tell them to be aware that if they attend the assessment in person that it doesn't necessarily begin when they walk into the assessor's room. It's possible that they will be watched when they arrive or in the waiting room. I did have one case when the assessor said that claimant only started limping when they got in the assessment room and I've had a similar experience in our offices.

Ok I understand now, it’s not for newer claims since 2017 (who has been LCW since 2017?)
Yes, I guess we were both right, or wrong. :)

• Haha
It's a pretty common mistake that claimants make. They exaggerate the effect of their liabilities or health conditions and then get caught in the 'lie' by the assessor. Often it's because the claimant has forgotten what they said on the PIP2 form, gets into a 'friendly' conversation with the assessor and ends up contradicting themselves. That's why when I complete a PIP2 form I always give the claimant a copy and tell them to read it before they attend their assessment. I also tell them to be aware that if they attend the assessment in person that it doesn't necessarily begin when they walk into the assessor's room. It's possible that they will be watched when they arrive or in the waiting room. I did have one case when the assessor said that claimant only started limping when they got in the assessment room and I've had a similar experience in our offices.

Yes, I guess we were both right, or wrong. :)

I currently waiting for my pip review to be dealt with it is a horrible process My last review the assesser did a home vist and She was wonderful knew Her stuff re MH and what the the meds I was on etc This time around I am seriously scared I will lose I am currently having to decide wether to Heat or Eat hence why I spend most my time in bed where it is warm , I also just found out that when i start reciving my work pensions which i worked bloody hard for the amount will be deducted from my ESA so basicly get nothing this is soul destoying and incredibliy cruel and it really makes you think why the hell did I bother actully working if I get treated like a criminal

We don’t always “exaggerate” though. I can only cook a meal once a month, maybe twice. Otherwise I use kettle/microwave - for a simple food, not protein, two veg and carbs with sauce.
Then they will ask you about walking/going shopping, and extrapolate it, so if you can walk 100m you can stand up to cook. No mention of the cooking being prevented by shaking, memory loss, breathlessness.
I’d be all for a more intrusive exam if it wasn’t going to be Cherry-picked for snippets that are used against you. Tabloid journalists in the 80s reported with better accuracy than a PIP assessor!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I receive pip from having COVID in early 2019, then I had long COVID and now CFS.
I also get UC.
I also own my own home with no mortgage.
I get everything else paid for me and receive just under £2200 per month into my bank from DWP.
Now if I was well enough to work and trust me I would bloody love to be working. I would be at a deficit.
I'd get around £400 a week after tax and NI etc. then have to pay full utility bills (I get a ton of money from the cost of living utility crisis. Also I'd have to pay council tax, prescriptions, kids school meals, the list goes on.
I've always worked hard. Always been the 1st in and last out. Always worked 12hr+ days. So while I don't enjoy being laid up constantly. It's nice to be looked after for a change.

• Heart
We don’t always “exaggerate” though.
I never meant too suggest that you do. Perhaps I worded it badly. I meant that sometimes when people exaggerate on their PIP2 form they make the mistake of contradicting it at the assessment. But even if people are not exaggerating I'd always recommend keeping a copy of everything sent to DWP and making sure I was clear what I had said before talking to them about it. The DWP and the assessors are experts at finding and exploiting any apparent inconsistencies. And that's without the 'mistakes' that assessors make in reporting the assessment too.

I receive pip from having COVID in early 2019, then I had long COVID and now CFS.
I also get UC.
I get everything else paid for me and receive just under £2200 per month into my bank from DWP.
Now if I was well enough to work and trust me I would bloody love to be working. I would be at a deficit.
I'd get around £400 a week after tax and NI etc. then have to pay full utility bills (I get a ton of money from the cost of living utility crisis. Also I'd have to pay council tax, prescriptions, kids school meals, the list goes on.
I've always worked hard. Always been the 1st in and last out. Always worked 12hr+ days. So while I don't enjoy being laid up constantly. It's nice to be looked after for a change.
I’m similar but only on lower pip, I should be on higher rate, I’m not lying down about 2hours per day

I also get UC.
Obviously I don't know your situation but it's perfectly possible that someone with kids bringing home around £400 per week would still get some UC and of course all the other benefits that it brings.

... I also just found out that when i start reciving my work pensions which i worked bloody hard for the amount will be deducted from my ESA so basicly get nothing this is soul destoying and incredibliy cruel and it really makes you think why the hell did I bother actully working if I get treated like a criminal
I don't think that taking into account other income is "treating you like a criminal" or "incredibly cruel". The point of income based ESA is to provide an income to people that are not able to get it in another way. The technical term is an "earning replacement benefit". If someone has income from other sources why shouldn't it be taken into account. That's what means tested benefits are.

So the government is considering plans to cut benefits for those too unwell to work in an effort to force them back to employment

Im starting to think that this is genocide under the guise of reform

So the government is considering plans to cut benefits for those too unwell to work in an effort to force them back to employment

Im starting to think that this is genocide under the guise of reform
I’m dreading the full announcement, you know it’s going to be bad. Tories are hopefully on their way out next year, so it might not get into practice.

I had to come post on here after hearing all of the ‘rumours’. I was SW before I left after having my third baby last year to be a sahm. I’m not entitled to anything that’s not my reason for posting on here. My reason is the worry I feel for people. With my previous job majority of people and families I worked with were on the bread line already never mind with all the cost of living crisis. I honestly can not imagine how people are feeling about this. It’s easy to say ‘they should just get a job’ but it’s not that easy for starters there aren’t enough jobs out there for people with little to no experience. I know of people who have tried and tried to get jobs but they just can not. I don’t like to talk politics but I can not wait to see the back of this government. I can’t imagine the devastation all of this is going to cause for some People….many vulnerable People with children.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I worry as neither of the top two contenders are a good choice, labour were the first to start selling off the nhs and initiated the Iraq war, they’re certainly not my top pick! I do think the labour of old would have handled benefits in a more sympathetic way, but I’ve also noticed they’re trying to pull themselves more central lately and avoid being seen as soft, so I do wonder if reforms would happen regardless of who was in power, it’s just so tit that they target people with chronic illnesses as opposed to CEO’s with chronic tax evasion

I also get UC.
I’m curious - how do you get so much with having M.E/CFS? I have M.E and have done since I was 13 and I get around a third of what you do. I’m not saying that you’re not entitled to the amount, far from it, I’m just wondering if different areas have different criteria? I have to live with my mum and don’t own my own house and I don’t have children. I wonder if that adds to it. My PIP is peanuts too, I’m grateful that I get money but in this environment I don’t see any of it because it all goes on rent to my mum.

I had to come post on here after hearing all of the ‘rumours’. I was SW before I left after having my third baby last year to be a sahm. I’m not entitled to anything that’s not my reason for posting on here. My reason is the worry I feel for people. With my previous job majority of people and families I worked with were on the bread line already never mind with all the cost of living crisis. I honestly can not imagine how people are feeling about this. It’s easy to say ‘they should just get a job’ but it’s not that easy for starters there aren’t enough jobs out there for people with little to no experience. I know of people who have tried and tried to get jobs but they just can not. I don’t like to talk politics but I can not wait to see the back of this government. I can’t imagine the devastation all of this is going to cause for some People….many vulnerable People with children.
I’d love to work and my problem is always that, because I’m a bit intelligent people think I’m lying about cognitive issues, but they don’t see me when it’s problematic. Also it’s executive function issues. And they’d want me to sit up to type, my voice is unpredictable whether it works. I hope I don’t get encouraged to start a home business making cupcakes again (they’re easy!you can do it from home!)