DWP Benefits

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s easy to say ‘they should just get a job’ but it’s not that easy for starters there aren’t enough jobs out there for people with little to no experience. I know of people who have tried and tried to get jobs but they just can not. I don’t like to talk politics but I can not wait to see the back of this government. I can’t imagine the devastation all of this is going to cause for some People….many vulnerable People with children.
I have read parts of this and what worries me is how out of touch it is - because working from home is now the norm then obviously people on benefits can easily get a job? No, it’s not that simple. I’ve looked into working from home and a lot of it requires you to travel once a week or a month (no good if you can’t travel or live rurally) or have a background in a certain career (a lot of jobs were things like graphic design or copywriting where you needed to have experience). There was no jobs available that would be suitable for people who have little to no experience because of their conditions. Unless you count multi level marketing which I do not.
---
Question for those in the know: these sorts of forums and fb groups have a lot of people claiming that they’ve caught the DWP camped outside their house doing surveillance, and I’m aware that a large proportion of those people will be rather paranoid, but I’m curious to know if those sorts of things ever happen? How do they actually catch the fraudsters?
How do they know it’s the DWP camped outside their house?
---
I do wish I could work, I hate being indebted to the state and the taxpayers. I hate that this sort of surveillance is done
I just wish I was well enough to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I was born with a condition and have had dla/pip since childhood. My whole childhood was surgery in an attempt to improve my physical health, unfortunately due to negligence it ended up worse. I did work full time for a few years in an office job but couldn’t continue and as I’ve got older (still under 40) my health is declining rapidly.
I moved to a council property which has had some adaptations, a wet room with a seat in the shower and a wash dry toilet which has literally saved my life. I couldn’t clean myself after a pee or a poo and had constant kidney infections to the point I’d spent months on antibiotics so you can imagine the state I was getting into, now with the toilet I’ve not had a infection since it’s been put in a year ago! I have a carer twice a day to help with food prep, shopping and domestic tasks, I can walk but it’s incredibly painful and I’m unsteady (iPhone constantly sends updates with my walking steadiness being low/very low), I don’t have any movement in my toes and foot drop so I literally trip over on my own feet/toes, as well as having one leg shorter than the other. I have falls weekly, worst case I lost my front teeth in one as my arms are too short to “save” me. I have an electric wheelchair which I use to go locally, I did have the adapted car but couldn’t afford the petrol it took to take the wheelchair anywhere so now I go out a lot less with the car as it involves having someone with me to take the chair apart etc.
I also have spinal stenosis which was sorted with a fusion but that limits my mobility more, and with age I’ve found that the damage the original stenosis caused is coming out more now, I get a lot of numbness all over my body and weakness.
Despite all of this I’m on very limited pain as I’d spent so long in my younger years on them and became addicted to morphine and baclofen that I’ve been put off, going through cold turkey at 15 from spending 4 years on them was enough to up my natural pain threashold. I do have a young child and I feel incredibly guilty that we don’t do much at all out of the house, and how scared he gets when I fall.
I constantly feel like a fraud though, I think part of it is the fight in my head not to give up or give in, and I am clinging on to the tiny bits of good days I have, I worry I’d be accused because one day maybe I made it round the small supermarket clinging onto the trolley but that person didn’t see the next 3 days where I didn’t move, or once I’ve dropped my son at school that I’ll then lay in bed from 9 until 2. I don’t think the constant media thing of targeting the disabled helps. And I’d be the first one to get a job from home, I’m reasonably intelligent and as I said had a good job before which I loved, but it’s easier said than done with this working from home business, there’s a lot that isn’t suitable or I simply don’t have the qualifications for. I dream of financial independence from the state and I know that it’s a dream of many disabled people, this life isn’t a choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think we all need to apply for jobs with DWP (who have the highest rate of losing disability discrimination employment tribunals in the country) then when we inevitably get fired for being off sick all the time, we just tell the DWP that the DWP wouldn’t employ us. Case closed!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’m very very lucky in the sense that I have a permanent WFH contract with my employer (government department- NOT DWP!) but I only got that as a doctor in Occy Health essentially said ‘she works permanently from home or she’s going to have to retire on health grounds and she has full grounds to pursue a constructive dismissal case’ (my manager has been horrific to me) coupled with 12 weeks off sick purely because of my manager, scared them into moving extremely quickly.
I have ME and fibromyalgia, alongside complicated Type 2 diabetes (I struggle with hypos a lot) I also have various complications from fibromyalgia, three mental health diagnoses and currently going through the assessment process for autism, which I’m not coping well with at all. I’m also partially deaf which doesn’t help matters.
I do love my job though, I’ve been doing it nearly 5 years (unheard of in my department!) and I often help newbies or anyone with a question by them shadowing me or doing a bit of coaching. I have a silly amount of adjustments in place, and to be honest some of those have been very hard to get.
It’s incredibly hard to find any job (I’ve been through multiple interviews and as soon as they find out the extent of my disabilities that’s it) it’s all well and good the government saying oh disabled people must find work but where are the employers going to take them on?

• Heart
I think we all need to apply for jobs with DWP (who have the highest rate of losing disability discrimination employment tribunals in the country) then when we inevitably get fired for being off sick all the time, we just tell the DWP that the DWP wouldn’t employ us. Case closed!
We are currently WFH 60% and its being pushed down to 40%. Its amusing to me that they expect other companies to offer full WFH contracts but be unwilling to offer it themselves or be flexible.

Last edited:
  • Heart
We are currently WFH 40% and its being pushed up to 60%. Its amusing to me that they expect other companies to offer full WFH contracts but be unwilling to offer it themselves or be flexible.
Opposite story in my department- they’re forcing people into the office more. Thank god I changed my contract when I did.

Reactions: 2
Reactions: 2
This is what's wrong with the benefit system 🤬
Ffs 🤬🤬 I hate to see this. Benefits are literally a life line to many and then there's people like this literally taking the piss.
I wonder why a version of this story has been run in newspapers like The Sun every year since 2020? In fact this woman has been in the papers being held up as an example of 'what's wrong with the benefit system' at least once a year for the last 10 years.

This is what's wrong with the benefit system 🤬
This is such a small thing tbh. Okay some people spend their benefits on daft things but benefits pay you duck all majority of the time, barely enough to live nevermind other luxuries. It pushes the same narrative that everyone on benefits is a scrounger, lazy, etc. It's just punching down at poor people as usual, I take these articles with a grain of salt. They do it on purpose, our gov officials pocket more money than anyone on benefits and don't get penalised.
---
I wonder why a version of this story has been run in newspapers like The Sun every year since 2020? In fact this woman has been in the papers being held up as an example of 'what's wrong with the benefit system' at least once a year for the last 10 years.
To keep up the narrative that people on benefits are lazy workshy scroungers who get thousands for doing nothing. It is just not true though for the majority of people, yet they're the ones who are stigmatised for being on benefits. Same old tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
When you get a letter stating what benefits you are entitled to it usually says words to the effect of ..the minimum people with your condition can live on.

The key word being the minimum. Not average not above average but the bare minimum they think you can survive on.

Noone is living the high life on benefits alone. It isnt possible. So they are either working on the side or doing something illegal.

But it makes for good divide and rule if you can make those ignorant of benefits believe that benefit recipients are living the life of riley.

Reactions: 5
Had a letter this morning rejecting my ESA claim. It just says 'the law says we can't pay you ESA from 29/02/2024.'

I'm confused and lost, I have no money now and I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Had a letter this morning rejecting my ESA claim. It just says 'the law says we can't pay you ESA from 29/02/2024.'

I'm confused and lost, I have no money now and I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
You can only get ESA New Style now, and that’s only if you’ve got sufficient NI contributions.
You will need to claim Universal Credit if you have insufficient credits. If you have a working partner or savings unfortunately the view of the DWP is that you will have to live off savings or your partner.

You can only get ESA New Style now, and that’s only if you’ve got sufficient NI contributions.
You will need to claim Universal Credit if you have insufficient credits. If you have a working partner or savings unfortunately the view of the DWP is that you will have to live off savings or your partner.
Ugh I have no clue, it's all changed so much! I had no idea ESA was now contribution-based, but even so, I have no savings or anything and I've paid loads of NI over the last tax year. I can't even get onto my UC account as I was never given my 16-digit code thing.

Ugh I have no clue, it's all changed so much! I had no idea ESA was now contribution-based, but even so, I have no savings or anything and I've paid loads of NI over the last tax year. I can't even get onto my UC account as I was never given my 16-digit code thing.
If you phone the number on the letter they should be able to give you an explanation of why theyve made the decision they have. Not helpful at the moment I realise but it may help you understand a bit better and be able to give you advice on where to go next.

If you phone the number on the letter they should be able to give you an explanation of why theyve made the decision they have. Not helpful at the moment I realise but it may help you understand a bit better and be able to give you advice on where to go next.
Yeah gonna ring them Monday morning because I've waited weeks for this and have now ran out of money. It's not a fun time haha.