Driving tests

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Worked out it was around 17 or 18 lessons, 2 hours at a time. Took 4 months in all. Failed my first test but passed second time. My instructor was really nice but my examiner for my first test was a proper twit. Spoke to me after like I was an imbecile and was really grumpy throughout. I learnt automatic as I figured it would be easier and I needed to learn ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
How many lessons
How many attempts
Was your instructor horrible?
* 25 lessons šŸ˜²
* Passed first time, in 1999! šŸ‘µšŸ»
* Driving instructor was a pervert, he used to ask me to give him the "full monty" (aka the full spin of steering wheel) when doing a 3-point turn. Also used to tap my thigh everytime he wanted me.to change gear šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¢

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
22 lessons
Passed first time

my instructor was so intimidating, I think thatā€™s why I passed, because I was so scared of making mistakes šŸ˜­ one time I went to grab the gear stick and grabbed her thigh šŸ˜­ I will never live it down

• Haha
Reactions: 3
12 lessons
Passed first time (it snowed on my test)
My instructor was BRILLIANT and taught me and all my friends when we were at college (in 2004)!

21 lessons
Instructor was great - very patient, thorough and wasn't in a hurry to push me to take my tests until I was good and ready
The examiner wasn't too bad - a woman - but tended to mumble her words. Don't know if she was still pissed from the night before!
Passed all my tests first time, although I thought I'd failed when I made a mess of my parallel parking

Wow you lot put me to shame šŸ˜‚ I didnā€™t count my lessons but Iā€™m estimating it was over 100 hours. I had 4 instructors over the time I was learning - first one was fine but I only had him a few weeks then moved away, second one was a twit, third one was lovely but then I moved again and the last one I just had a couple lessons with before my test that I passed. Took a bloody long time but thatā€™s partly my fault as I kept having long gaps and moving. Plus I was an incredibly anxious driver.

12 hours with one creep when I was 19 put me off so u didn't start learning again until I was 28 and I switched to a female instructor.
Took about 40 hours and passed second time.
First test failed as classed as examiner intervened as I was slowing down but not exactly on the speed limit as we passed the sign and he said "it's a 40 here" šŸ™„

I honestly couldnā€™t tell you how many lessons I had it was so long ago!
Passed 2nd time.
My instructor was ok but she did used to tell me I wasnā€™t a very good driver. I saw her about a year after I passed and she asked me if Iā€™d crashed my mums car yet? Cheeky cow šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Iā€™m on about 65 hours now I think, failed my test a month ago, now have the dreaded covid wait for my next test, next date is in may!!!! Praying for a cancellation! Any tips on cancellations through covid? Also my instructor is a condescending, misogynistic, racist, nasally asshole. I canā€™t wait for the day I pass my test so I never have to hear his nasally voice again

I failed my first test and was put off. I only started to learn again as my theory was running out. Started in the September and passed in the October. You never forget. I hated learning tho

Iā€™m on about 65 hours now I think, failed my test a month ago, now have the dreaded covid wait for my next test, next date is in may!!!! Praying for a cancellation! Any tips on cancellations through covid? Also my instructor is a condescending, misogynistic, racist, nasally asshole. I canā€™t wait for the day I pass my test so I never have to hear his nasally voice again
Youā€™ve already seen experienced a test so use that to your advantage you know what to expect

Get the app Testi on your phone and you put on the date of your test and then the test centres you want to be at and it will notify you of any cancellations and then you can click on that and book a nearer test date.

About 50 lessons in 1997 (manual) and failed two tests. Nice instructor but was probably a bit too laid back ( he once fell asleep while in a lesson).
I stopped learning after I was in accident that was my fault. I became convinced that if I drove Iā€™d kill someone so despite living in a pretty rural area I just couldnā€™t do it.
I started learning again in 2018, when I decided to move to Northern Ireland. I figured Iā€™d learn before I moved over here and ended up with an instructor who was originally from Belfast. I learnt in an automatic and had about 12 lessons. Took my test the day before I moved countries and the day after Iā€™d been diagnosed with severe gallbladder problems. I was in agony the whole time. It was going great till we were on the way back to the test centre and I was at a busy roundabout, nobody was indicating and I hesitated too long apparently so he failed me ... I hadnā€™t a single minor fault up to that point. I flew back over to England to take it again the next month and passed easily ... I wish Iā€™d done it sooner as it completely changed my life. I finally feel like an independent adult, even if I still avoid slip roads šŸ˜‚

I donā€™t know the exact number but I learned from May 2009 - September 2010. Passed theory and practical first time! My instructor was great, he actually put back my test date for me because he could see o wasnā€™t confident and would likely panic and then fail. As a result, I had an extra few weeks of intensive lessons and extra help and lo and behold, I passed first time! During my practical, about half way through I made what I thought was a mistake on a small bridge, and I thought that meant Iā€™d automatically failed, so I was less worried after that because I ā€œknewā€ Iā€™d failed. So I was mor relaxed and therefore I think thatā€™s how I passed!

I took two hour lessons at the age of 17 over a two month period. I failed first time because I approached a roundabout and continued without stopping simply because the road was clear, nothing was coming :( He said I should have stopped. I passed second time three weeks later. I had three lessons with my first instructor before ditching him because he always seemed like he was in a bad mood. My second instructor was great.

I think I must have had about 50 hours of lessons in total but I passed 1st time. I thought Iā€™d failed in the first 5 mins my legs were shaking I felt like I wasnā€™t driving properly šŸ˜‚ I think that helped me cos I thought f**k it Iā€™ve failed and just drive normally after lol! Iā€™m a very nervous driver and although I do love the independence I donā€™t drive really far on my own.

1990's, had a load of lessons, 2 hours at a time mainly because my instructor was good fun and we could cover quite a distance in that time. It was icy one time, he told me to take the next right. I knew what he was planning, a hill start on a really steep road so I didn't go. I said there's only one steering wheel and I've got it. He did make me go later though and I passed first time through him. Brilliant teacher and I was sorry the lessons had ended.

About 30 lessons, passed first time, 1 minor.

I changed instructor after about 10 lessons as the one I went with initially kept putting his hand on my knee and asked me to take him round KFC drive thru on my lesson time (which I commented was a poor use of time which I am paying for and he simply retorted "I'm sure you'll come here when you pass [I won't, I'm veggie..] so it's great experience"). He was weird.

• Wow
I lost count of how many lessons I had as I moved away to uni and only picked it up when I started 2nd year. I had quite a few instructors - the first one was ok but he kept talking to people on the phone during my lessons and didn't turn up, leaving me waiting on the street in the rain as my house didn't have any vehicle access. The second was really nice but ended up retiring, the third was a bit creepy and the fourth spent the hour screaming down my ear. I finally found my 5th instructor who I got along really well with, and passed with her. I passed on my third time, but am quite severely dyspraxic so this could have something to do with it!

I'm from the UK but now live in Canada.
I wanted to try and get my licence before moving as it's very much a driving culture here (it is essential, lol).

Did a few lessons in a manual car and there was no way I would pass before moving. The instructor was nice.

Moved to Canada. Here, you have to do in class style lessons and a theory test before they let you in the car. The theory is not as extensive as the UK's. I passed that first time.

Then I did my driving lessons. They were in an automatic, which is most common. Many places don't even do manual lessons. Standard amount of lessons is 12 hours so 12 lessons or so which is what I did. That covers driving in residential, road signs, parallel parking and highways.

My driving instructor was a lovely man. So patient and understanding. I was very nervous about driving and cried in every lesson apart from my last one šŸ˜‚.

I passed my test first time. I was a nervous wreck on the day and the examiner came out and she seemed really...grumpy. But I made conversation with her to "humanize" her. Lol. Also, did the driving test in our own vehicle which was good, as I was used to the breaks, etc. I only got one markdown which was when merging, not merging fully into the lane closest, instead cutting across to the other too early. You get three attempts for parallel parking and did it on the second šŸ˜…. Haven't done it since, lol.