Dog Arthritis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've recently noticed my small dog has started getting stiff legs, she is 12. I'm 100% it's age related arthritis.

Is it worth taking her to the vet? Can they do anything with medication? I don't want to spend a fortune at the vet if it won't really help

I've been thinking of giving her CBD oil as I've heard people have great results with that.

Mine cocker spaniel is nearly 10, and we've had a massive improvement with a course of Cartrophen injections. He doesn't tolerate Metacam very well, so this was an ideal solution. It was around £150 for the 4 week course and it's been worth every penny.

Reactions: 1
Mine cocker spaniel is nearly 10, and we've had a massive improvement with a course of Cartrophen injections. He doesn't tolerate Metacam very well, so this was an ideal solution. It was around £150 for the 4 week course and it's been worth every penny.
I assume it’s a prescription?
I have no problems taking her to the vet just want to make sure they can actually give her something that will help and not just some generic over the counter stuff.

There are plenty of different drugs they can give. You could get them to write you a prescription for you to get the drugs from an online site, just make sure it’s a reputable one. The prescription will usually be charged by the vet but is usually still cheaper to do it this way. As the vets cannot order the amount of stock these online pharmacies do so have to pay more and therefore charge more. Better to get a professional opinion than just give medication without knowing

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Vet nurse here - your vet will 100% be able to help your dog. There are a huge range of options available for arthritic dogs now, from anti-inflammatory pain relief through to monthly antibody injections. I’ve just started my own 11 year old dog on some of them myself!

Everything a vet would prescribe is prescription strength and not over the counter. The only over the counter pain relief you could safely give a dog is paracetamol and that doesn’t have the anti-inflammatory properties to help with arthritis.

As @Former_Antelopee helpfully suggested, you can request written prescriptions for medication if your dog goes onto meds long term 😄

Not had any experience of CBD oil in my own pets but I’ve spoken to plenty of clients who’ve used it and said they can see an improvement. If your dog is noticeably stiff, I’d probably recommend using this alongside medication though 💕

• Heart
Vet nurse here - your vet will 100% be able to help your dog. There are a huge range of options available for arthritic dogs now, from anti-inflammatory pain relief through to monthly antibody injections. I’ve just started my own 11 year old dog on some of them myself!

Everything a vet would prescribe is prescription strength and not over the counter. The only over the counter pain relief you could safely give a dog is paracetamol and that doesn’t have the anti-inflammatory properties to help with arthritis.

As @Former_Antelopee helpfully suggested, you can request written prescriptions for medication if your dog goes onto meds long term 😄

Not had any experience of CBD oil in my own pets but I’ve spoken to plenty of clients who’ve used it and said they can see an improvement. If your dog is noticeably stiff, I’d probably recommend using this alongside medication though 💕
Thanks this is exactly the advice I was after. I’m showing my age because I just assumed nothing could really be done for arthritis and I didn’t want to waste money but also she get’s very stressed going to the vet.

Will be making her an appointment in the morning 😊

• Heart
Thanks this is exactly the advice I was after. I’m showing my age because I just assumed nothing could really be done for arthritis and I didn’t want to waste money but also she get’s very stressed going to the vet.

It’s crazy how quickly things have moved forward in recent years - we have so many options available now to keep our OAP pooches comfortable! 😄

My dog is a nightmare at the vets! I took him into work for his first arthritis appointment the other week and I was dreading it 🤣 Hope your little one feels comfier soon!

• Heart
I've recently noticed my small dog has started getting stiff legs, she is 12. I'm 100% it's age related arthritis.

Is it worth taking her to the vet? Can they do anything with medication? I don't want to spend a fortune at the vet if it won't really help

I've been thinking of giving her CBD oil as I've heard people have great results with that.
It’s come on leaps and bounds now our four-legged friends are living longer. You’ll probably have to try a multi-modal appproach, we found Librela injections good alongside meds. There are controlled drugs that work (won’t list for obvious reasons) and your vet will probably suggest a combination of treatments. Metacam helped a dog I knew but not good for sensitive tummies. We tried cartrophen but wasn’t showing signs of improvement after three so be prepared for a bit of trial and error. Getting a repeat prescription definitely helps lower costs. Supplements like YuMove and Seraquin are worth including, can get them cheaper on Amazon. If hydrotherapy is an option that’s a nice add-on. Good luck!

• Heart
It’s come on leaps and bounds now our four-legged friends are living longer. You’ll probably have to try a multi-modal appproach, we found Librela injections good alongside meds. There are controlled drugs that work (won’t list for obvious reasons) and your vet will probably suggest a combination of treatments. Metacam helped a dog I knew but not good for sensitive tummies. We tried cartrophen but wasn’t showing signs of improvement after three so be prepared for a bit of trial and error. Getting a repeat prescription definitely helps lower costs. Supplements like YuMove and Seraquin are worth including, can get them cheaper on Amazon. If hydrotherapy is an option that’s a nice add-on. Good luck!
Just started my dog on Librela and seem it work wonders in patients at my work! Great advice here 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Our vet was amazing when we booked a consult, went through lots of choices and also recommended alternative approaches as well as medication. She also has an older dog which helps, and said that an osteopath has helped her dog alongside medication. They don't recommend Librela there only because they had terrible supply issues with it over Covid I think... so they're old school and recommend Cartrophen. They also suggested hydrotherapy, and also a mix of lead/off lead walking as it encourages a more exaggerated gait when they're on a lead and use different muscles.
Mine's a lot better since we went 6 months ago - in fact I've been cursing his ability to bugger off miles after pheasant scents again!

• Haha
  • Heart
Our vet was amazing when we booked a consult, went through lots of choices and also recommended alternative approaches as well as medication. She also has an older dog which helps, and said that an osteopath has helped her dog alongside medication. They don't recommend Librela there only because they had terrible supply issues with it over Covid I think... so they're old school and recommend Cartrophen. They also suggested hydrotherapy, and also a mix of lead/off lead walking as it encourages a more exaggerated gait when they're on a lead and use different muscles.
Mine's a lot better since we went 6 months ago - in fact I've been cursing his ability to bugger off miles after pheasant scents again!
That last bit gave me a giggle.
Hydrotherapy is a definite no. She hates water plus the one time she fell in the pond she panicked and sank like a brick 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Minpin, small and full of character. How bout you?
Arghhhh I love minpins so much! We had one in recently at my work for neutering and I carried him around all day 🥹💕 I’ve got a lurcher, he’s a massive wimpy couch potato!

Arghhhh I love minpins so much! We had one in recently at my work for neutering and I carried him around all day 🥹💕 I’ve got a lurcher, he’s a massive wimpy couch potato!
Mr Lolz would love a lurcher bit he doesn’t walk the dogs and I don’t like the cold 😂 So small and wimpy about the weather for me 😁

• Haha
Mr Lolz would love a lurcher bit he doesn’t walk the dogs and I don’t like the cold 😂 So small and wimpy about the weather for me 😁
I’m definitely with you on that front! My next dog is going to be a little mini one that doesn’t need epic hikes to sleep at night 🤣

Whilst it isn’t medication, have you tried adding salmon oil into the dogs diet? Really good for joints

@aidil I've chatted with you in the f1 chats, though not so much recently, I'm still too sad about DR.

I didn't know you were a RVN. I am too! 🤩

Agreed there are so many options. Veterinary medicine has changed an incredible amount in the 20 years I've been working.
Traditional NSAIDS, like Metacam or Rimadyl, Cartrophen, newer treatments Galliprant, Librela.
Laser, physio, hydrotherapy.

My sister uses CBD oil in her dog and thinks it works, a client used it in her dog and didn't think it did anything.

Canine Arthritis Management website is a great resource as well.

At the end of the day, if you are noticing it, your dog is in pain/discomfort and will benefit from medication, it's just finding the right one ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
@aidil I've chatted with you in the f1 chats, though not so much recently, I'm still too sad about DR.

I didn't know you were a RVN. I am too! 🤩
omg whaaaaat?! As if we’ve been crossing paths for so long without realising we’re both RVNs! 😱😍 Any F1 loving vet nurse is a friend of mine! 💕

• Heart
omg whaaaaat?! As if we’ve been crossing paths for so long without realising we’re both RVNs! 😱😍 Any F1 loving vet nurse is a friend of mine! 💕
Absolutely 🤩 So long as we don't actually vaguely know each other 😜😜 I'm in Cumbria....?

• Haha