Documentaries - general chat

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It might be middle age calling but I'm enjoying a good documentary on Saturday evenings.

There doesn't seem to be a general chat thread on documentaries so I thought I'd start one. Tell us what the last documentary was that you watched. What was it about? Would you recommend it?

Not fishing for future documentaries to dip into, definitely not 😂
---
Documentaries I've watched recently:

Pamela (Netflix)
This was a lot more gentle than I thought it was going to be. It follows Pamela Anderson, of Baywatch 1990s fame, as she reflects on life whilst living back in her home town during Covid (and after). She's kept diaries most of her life although she did request these were read by an actor. Pamela strikes me as quite a gentle soul that is more of a deep thinker than she's given credit for. I was a teen during the infamous sex tape era and it's clear she's still traumatised by the experience. Well worth your time.

Stutz (Netflix)
This was a 3 year project made by Jonah Hill and focusing on his therapist, Stutz. It was quite an intimate examination of Hill's mental health especially in the aftermath of the sudden death of his older brother. It's shot in black and white which very made me think I was watching a "movie." A bit too meta at times for me but an interesting perspective on the relationship between patient and psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
It might be middle age calling but I'm enjoying a good documentary on Saturday evenings.

There doesn't seem to be a general chat thread on documentaries so I thought I'd start one. Tell us what the last documentary was that you watched. What was it about? Would you recommend it?

Not fishing for future documentaries to dip into, definitely not 

---

Documentaries I've watched recently:

Pamela (Netflix)

This was a lot more gentle than I thought it was going to be. It follows Pamela Anderson, of Baywatch 1990s fame, as she reflects on life whilst living back in her home town during Covid (and after). She's kept diaries most of her life although she did request these were read by an actor. Pamela strikes me as quite a gentle soul that is more of a deep thinker than she's given credit for. I was a teen during the infamous sex tape era and it's clear she's still traumatised by the experience. Well worth your time.

Stutz (Netflix)

This was a 3 year project made by Jonah Hill and focusing on his therapist, Stutz. It was quite an intimate examination of Hill's mental health especially in the aftermath of the sudden death of his older brother. It's shot in black and white which very made me think I was watching a "movie." A bit too meta at times for me but an interesting perspective on the relationship between patient and psychiatrist.
I did like the pamela documentary. Definitely warmed to her a lot more. She has a good relationship with her sons which is nice to see

I really enjoy a hotel or cruise ship documentary.

There was one I think on the BBC about Claridges building some super basement and roof extension which I found fascinating.

And cruise ship ones (not Jane MacDonald) are fascinating, seeing how much food gets loaded aboard is incomprehensible, I couldn't process it mentally.

Reactions: 2
I recently watched Shiny Happy People on Prime which had so many moments that genuinely really upset me! Interesting insight into the religion/cult and the most famous faces in it (Duggar family).

Reactions: 3
I watched The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker which was excellent, tragic & mind-boggling.

Reactions: 2