Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone here done a low buy/no buy before? Any tips on how you made it sucessful?

I am doing one for clothes and accessories for 2022 as I just have way too much stuff and am sick of myself buying more and more when I don’t need it.

Reactions: 15
No I haven’t but keen to do one for clothes this year and just use/wear what I already have!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have been doing this for years and love it. It makes my life so much simpler. We don't need nearly as much as we think we do.
I posted about it previously, here (post #17 is my detailed account):

Reactions: 7
For 2022 I'm going to try and invest more in high quality pieces instead of buying (often cheaper) stuff that won't last me long at all :giggle:

Reactions: 17
Invest in quality items: waterproof shoes, a nice trench coat, a good leather bag etc.

Reactions: 15
I have been doing this for years and love it. It makes my life so much simpler. We don't need nearly as much as we think we do.
I posted about it previously, here (post #17 is my detailed account):
I had a read of your post and it was super helpful, thank you!

I am going to try and just apply it to the main pain points for me at the moment which is clothes, accessories and beauty. I feel like if I restrict myself in areas I don’t actually have a problem (like house bits or books) I just don’t think I’ll stick to it.

Going strong though with 3 days of nothing bought yet 💪🏻

I’ve realised it’s definitely a boredom thing for me, if I don’t have anything to do I’ll just scroll ASOS and add stuff to my wishlist/buy it for something to do. Trying to fill that time with other hobbies and have deleted all my shopping apps so that I can’t be tempted!

Reactions: 9
I find this really good for my mental health. I have embraced enoughism and it's amazing at how free I feel. My house is less cluttered. I am not under pressure to keep up with anyone. I buy just what I need look after it and mend it several times before discarding it. I have a pair of everyday leather boots that have lasted 10 years. I now hate shopping, the crowds and queues.

This year I plan to grow all my bedding plants from seed so much cheaper and I think more rewarding. I am also going to run down my makeup stash and replace it with one of everything. I will need a few t-shirts for the summer and perhaps a pair of jeans so I will keep my eye out for a good deal but that is all I need this year. I am also, horror of horrors, seriously thinking of giving up my anti aging skincare for a simple moisturizer and SPF. Sick off the faff. 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’m in! I have everything I need, clothes/books/home wise. I’m not going to restrict food spend, but defo guilty of boredom scrolling/shopping.

I’m unsubscribing from all the retail mailing lists that pop up, I cleared 3 bags for donation and one to bin yesterday. If I can do that easily, how can I keep buying? I haven’t even gone through anywhere but bath and bedroom!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm in too.
I get a buzz from shopping i know. I wish i could get that same buzz from exercising. I shall try.

Reactions: 8
I’m going no buy for a few months. Buying a house and want to further declutter / simplify before I move in, plus I’m redirecting most of my budget to house purchases for the second half of the year ( new build so need to put in kitchen, bathroom, floors etc).

• Heart
Going no buy this year after spending a fortune these past few years, and having more than enough in my life/home.
I will only be buying food and hygiene essentials, EBay bundles for my children when they need clothes through the year, and I myself won’t need much but when I do it’ll be charity shop, I will replace anything if it breaks, but plan on fixing/up cycling where possible. Proud of myself today after fixing two bra’s that are less than 3 months old (wire poking out 😳)
I am wanting to save as much money as I can to put toward a trip to Finland at the end of the year and also a new car. It’s amazing how much crap we buy through the year...my Amazon spend last year is frightening 😱

• Heart
The first lockdown taught me how much I wasted. I've slowly fell back in to the trap of 'ooh that's nice I'll have one'. So this is a no buy year for me now. Need to declutter and organise a bit better which will kerb the shopping urges hopefully.

Reactions: 11
Oooh I'm going low buy this year although I didn't buy that many clothes/beauty stuff last year either. The only thing I do need is a few long sleeve t shirts.

Reactions: 4
I’m going low buy overall but each month I’m doing a no buy on certain things. So for this month it’s a no buy beauty and books. Which I almost failed the other day by going into Waterstones.

Yes I'm in! I did it a couple of years ago but have been a bit lax lately. I had one year where I didn't buy anything clothes wise and that was really good. It really made me think a lot about what I had and what I needed. I lost a lot of weight last year and had to replace my old wardrobe so ended up with most of it from eBay.

Reactions: 5
Ebay and etsy are my kryptonite. I am like a magpie that sees pretty trinkets, accessories and crafty bits and has to have them. I also love the thrill of waiting for parcels in the post. I am horrified at how much I spent last year, being working from home has made things worse because I know i am home to receive the parcels. It needs to stop.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am doing a no buy January with exception of groceries and cleaning stuff I need for the house.

Reactions: 6
I’m in! I really wanna kick off this year by saving as much as possible, I wanna become financially stable this year … low buy here we come!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
When it comes to books get them from your local Library (I give mine a wipe over with a antibac wipe) that will save you loads.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So pleased to have found this thread! Dry Jan and no buy/do nothing Jan. I definitely need to spend this month focusing on my finances and what I really want to achieve personally this year, so I’m not going out except for exercise, no spending, no drinking. I want to save 3k by the end of the year which might not be a lot to some but it’s massive for me. I’m a little way in but I’ve just got to stay on the ball and hold myself accountable for any duck ups because I’m partial to a spend up and am easily pressured into going out even when I don’t want to lol, it’s a battle between duck it life’s to short and you need to have something to fall back on 😂 please tell me I’m not the only one lol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.