Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it! #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Here’s your reminder to cut your seemingly empty products in half before putting them in the bin. I seem to be getting another week out of my moisturiser, I was convinced it was completely empty!
I always do it with toothpaste ! It’s amazing how much more is in there

Zara sale starts today in the country I live
Wish me luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I just got to the checkout page on the Joanie sale and was at the final button… closed the window. It was a small spend (£50), but nothing I actually “need”.

I haven’t bought any clothes this year except 2/3 bits on Vinted and new socks. Amazingly, the sky has yet to fall in.

bleeping livid though- a “workhorse” fleece I’ve had 20+ years destroyed its zip in the machine. I’ve hung on to it to decide whether to replace the zip or not. Good sewing practice skills without the worry of bodging something of value.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
More bleeping livid. Broke the clasp on a pair of gold earrings last summer and decided there was no point having broken earrings sat around. Paid £56 for them to be mended and lost one within 48 hrs. 🤬🤦‍♀️ It might turn up…

In the interim I bought a couple of pairs from Swarovski (good sale right now). Am never going down the gold/platinum/precious stones route for earrings ever again!

Nearly the end of the month and despite a few hiccups, savings have been made, all bills paid, donations made and I feel pretty calm about my financial situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I feel absolutely passionately that pet ownership should not be the privilege of the financially able. My family background is as poor as poor can be but yet absolutely full of animal lovers, pets and lives enrichened by the human animal bond, including solo living elders who would have not opened the curtains in the morning without the life affirming companionship of their dog. "Give a Dog A Bone" is a charity working in this field who I support.

I made my first ever mortgage overpayment. A small enough amount but it feels good. I am now working on finding the balance between feeding my own savings and overpaying the mortgage. We live quite frugally which is fine but I worry that we may scrimp and save away our lives diligently and then something terrible happens to one of us and the survivor is left regretting not living a little more together instead of overpaying the mortgage/having a full savings account. That sounds very dramatic but my family does not make old bones and I can be a bit too disciplined and get stuck in a self denial loop (five years since our last holiday for example and we have had some very heavy emotional stuff to deal with leaving us drained but a holiday just feels unobtainable)

Anyway, I am a long way off that being an actual problem as I am still making small unneccesary purchases - a full set of L'oreal bond repair hair products last week. I need to get back into using what I have first. I also bought a new dog clicker despite knowing I own three as I can't find any of them. Too much clutter and some poor decisions!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
You’re far from the only one who can’t see the wood for the clutter. At least we’ve stepped back a little (a lot) and are not adding to it.

I don’t really spend much on my pets and am v pragmatic about it all. As lovely as they are, I’m not spending £5k on “investigations” or a geriatric dog!

Reactions: 2
Any of you lovelies know of any car insurance deals?

Thank you 🥰
I did the four major comparison sites and then got my current insurer to match the lowest offer! Worth looking at Go compare I think as they offer £250 excess cover (so they'll pay up to £250 for your excess) and this meant I could have a higher excess which brought my costs down.

Well done on the closing the window 50degreesnorth! That takes strength though I'm sorry to hear about the earring. I'm sure it will turn up, these things always do.

I've had a bit of a panicky day which suddenly sparked a Spend. Nothing massive, but bits add up and it was just like I stopped caring. I get 'paid' on Friday (I've left my job and I pay myself a monthly salary, but I do dip into my money in between :( ) and I suppose I'm thinking well I'll pay it off then... But I feel ill about it. Swim cap, swim shoes, flip flops, toothpaste, a dress I liked which had gone down more than 50% off to £15, walking sandals... I hope to have a new job starting next month, but I feel very ashamed of myself and not sure what to do about it. I may ask my parents if they'd like to give me the shoes for my birthday. I feel very out of control, so I'm going to sit down and go through everything I've spent, everything I have left and do some calculations. I was so frightened by this settlement coming to me and me having money that I couldn't breathe because I was scared I'd screw it up and now I am, I suppose.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've had a bit of a panicky day which suddenly sparked a Spend. Nothing massive, but bits add up and it was just like I stopped caring. I get 'paid' on Friday (I've left my job and I pay myself a monthly salary, but I do dip into my money in between :( ) and I suppose I'm thinking well I'll pay it off then... But I feel ill about it. Swim cap, swim shoes, flip flops, toothpaste, a dress I liked which had gone down more than 50% off to £15, walking sandals... I hope to have a new job starting next month, but I feel very ashamed of myself and not sure what to do about it. I may ask my parents if they'd like to give me the shoes for my birthday. I feel very out of control, so I'm going to sit down and go through everything I've spent, everything I have left and do some calculations. I was so frightened by this settlement coming to me and me having money that I couldn't breathe because I was scared I'd screw it up and now I am, I suppose.
Try to be kind to yourself. Everyone makes financial mistakes, and it's important to learn from them rather than dwelling on guilt or shame.

It's okay to ask for support from your parents or someone you trust. If you feel comfortable, you can discuss your situation with them and see if they can help you with birthday gifts or other support.

Reflect on your recent purchases and categorize them as needs or wants.

• Heart
Try to be kind to yourself. Everyone makes financial mistakes, and it's important to learn from them rather than dwelling on guilt or shame.

It's okay to ask for support from your parents or someone you trust. If you feel comfortable, you can discuss your situation with them and see if they can help you with birthday gifts or other support.

Reflect on your recent purchases and categorize them as needs or wants.
"needs or wants" - I must remember to use that one! Thank you....

• Heart
I did the four major comparison sites and then got my current insurer to match the lowest offer! Worth looking at Go compare I think as they offer £250 excess cover (so they'll pay up to £250 for your excess) and this meant I could have a higher excess which brought my costs down.

Well done on the closing the window 50degreesnorth! That takes strength though I'm sorry to hear about the earring. I'm sure it will turn up, these things always do.

Is there anything you can return?

Reactions: 2
@Bread A £15 dress is really not worth the self-flagellation - enjoy the heatwave. As for the swimming stuff - exactly how expensive WAS this swimming cap? I’ve a suspicion it was made of rubber, not platinum. 😉 It’s not like you’ve blown ALL your cash on a sports car. You’ve spent realistically a very tiny amount of money for things which will likely last years. I have one pair of swim boots I bought I don’t know how many years ago - not something I upgrade annually. Flip-flops - can’t cost the Earth etc etc. unless they’re bloody Chanel, in which case get thine arse to Primark!

I’ve just had my last bill of this calendar month go out and was feeling twitchy around Sephora (the date I need new make-up is approximately 17th Never 2079)… so I bought a premium bond instead.

Checked the results from last month quickly - some lucky fucker won £50k from £300. It’s been there over 20 years. Probably bought for a grandchild and forgotten about.

• Heart
Any of you lovelies know of any car insurance deals?

Thank you 🥰
Not so much a deal, but I had to renew my buildings insurance this week and admiral were amongst the top of the comparison sites & when I called up to pay (because the site was having issues) they asked about cars in the household because of their multi policy deals, and I was really pleasantly surprised?! It’ll only be my third year insured as a primary driver but it’s down 30% on year 2’s cost (which was already 50% of year 1’s!). It’s not due until mid October and they said I can cancel with a £20 charge if I find a better deal, so felt worth it. You may be able to do the inverse with them - starting with the car & moving other policies across?

In general thread things - updated all my standing orders this month so I felt less decision paralysis/overwhelm about where to move what to. It’s currently sale season so trying to resist that. I have an iPhone note of things I want for my wardrobe and I’m using that as a firewall to ad hoc shopping.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
@Bread A £15 dress is really not worth the self-flagellation - enjoy the heatwave. As for the swimming stuff - exactly how expensive WAS this swimming cap? I’ve a suspicion it was made of rubber, not platinum. 😉 It’s not like you’ve blown ALL your cash on a sports car. You’ve spent realistically a very tiny amount of money for things which will likely last years. I have one pair of swim boots I bought I don’t know how many years ago - not something I upgrade annually. Flip-flops - can’t cost the Earth etc etc. unless they’re bloody Chanel, in which case get thine arse to Primark!

I’ve just had my last bill of this calendar month go out and was feeling twitchy around Sephora (the date I need new make-up is approximately 17th Never 2079)… so I bought a premium bond instead.

Checked the results from last month quickly - some lucky fucker won £50k from £300. It’s been there over 20 years. Probably bought for a grandchild and forgotten about.
Its been worse....... Someone won the million on £3 that had been in since 1969!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I was scammed out of thousands of pounds this week by a trader. I am utterly distraught. Please don’t ever make the same mistake I did and ask their hourly rate before they start work and get a quote.

Prior to that I was in spendy mode. Was looking at insta too much and thinking I ‘needed’ new summer dresses and bits from the white company. Now I feel awfully guilty.

The events of this week have made me and my husband reevaluate our situation. We are thinking of moving house in order to release some cash and make our lives easier. This house seems riddled with problems and while there are good things about it we are thinking about moving to a cheaper area to lower our bills and release more cash back into our savings.

I’ve done a lot of cosmetic work on this house so it’s a shame. I completely made over both front and back gardens and recently painted the front door and put a gorgeous door knocker on it. This scam situation has made me reevaluate our situation though. We are a few thousand in debt and it really stresses me out. We can’t ever afford to go on holiday.

I just feel sick to my stomach right now.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I was scammed out of thousands of pounds this week by a trader. I am utterly distraught. Please don’t ever make the same mistake I did and ask their hourly rate before they start work and get a quote.

Prior to that I was in spendy mode. Was looking at insta too much and thinking I ‘needed’ new summer dresses and bits from the white company. Now I feel awfully guilty.

The events of this week have made me and my husband reevaluate our situation. We are thinking of moving house in order to release some cash and make our lives easier. This house seems riddled with problems and while there are good things about it we are thinking about moving to a cheaper area to lower our bills and release more cash back into our savings.

I’ve done a lot of cosmetic work on this house so it’s a shame. I completely made over both front and back gardens and recently painted the front door and put a gorgeous door knocker on it. This scam situation has made me reevaluate our situation though. We are a few thousand in debt and it really stresses me out. We can’t ever afford to go on holiday.

I am so so sorry to hear this 💔

• Heart

I’m so so sorry that has happened to you, sadly it’s extremely common. Please don’t blame yourselves.

The consumer protection act is there to make sure you have some pushback against people like this.

We are taking TWO incompetent builders to the small claims court for thousands of pounds each.

I’d really encourage you to speak to citizens advice (call them early in the morning - I’ve always gotten through then). Explain clearly what has happened.

It sounds like the issue might be that you were massively overcharged? Maybe because a price wasn’t agreed first?

I can’t remember the exact wording but the cost of work must be fair and reasonable, they can’t just take advantage you as you didn’t agree first.

For one of our cases, he overcharged (we thought we were paying for reliability and skill - ha! Not so much…) and CA told us to get 2 other quotes (not easy once the work is done but you’ll probably have an easier time, ours was a massive job). Then you can take them to court for the difference.

We’ve done a lot of learning and speaking to solicitors (for free, they all say do small claims as it can get silly expensive unless you have legal cover - maybe you do?!) and many of them say if it does go to court, usually if you are the ‘good guy’ you’ll win, then it’s a case of making them pay.

Anyway, if you’d rather just put it behind you that’s totally understandable. At least they’ve buggered off and you’ve learnt your lesson! That’s worth something.

This country is absolutely broken when it comes to trades. Where we are it’s at least 90% crap, narcissistic cowboys. I wish I was exaggerating.

• Heart
  • Sad
I’m so so sorry that has happened to you, sadly it’s extremely common. Please don’t blame yourselves.

The consumer protection act is there to make sure you have some pushback against people like this.

We are taking TWO incompetent builders to the small claims court for thousands of pounds each.

I’d really encourage you to speak to citizens advice (call them early in the morning - I’ve always gotten through then). Explain clearly what has happened.

It sounds like the issue might be that you were massively overcharged? Maybe because a price wasn’t agreed first?

I can’t remember the exact wording but the cost of work must be fair and reasonable, they can’t just take advantage you as you didn’t agree first.

For one of our cases, he overcharged (we thought we were paying for reliability and skill - ha! Not so much…) and CA told us to get 2 other quotes (not easy once the work is done but you’ll probably have an easier time, ours was a massive job). Then you can take them to court for the difference.

We’ve done a lot of learning and speaking to solicitors (for free, they all say do small claims as it can get silly expensive unless you have legal cover - maybe you do?!) and many of them say if it does go to court, usually if you are the ‘good guy’ you’ll win, then it’s a case of making them pay.

Anyway, if you’d rather just put it behind you that’s totally understandable. At least they’ve buggered off and you’ve learnt your lesson! That’s worth something.

This country is absolutely broken when it comes to trades. Where we are it’s at least 90% crap, narcissistic cowboys. I wish I was exaggerating.
It's such a shame that so many young people are pushed into going to University when there are so many opportunities in trades.

• Heart
It's such a shame that so many young people are pushed into going to University when there are so many opportunities in trades.
Yep! Anyone who is smart enough to learn and put into practice traditional building and restoration methods, especially insulation that won’t wreck your house with damp, is going to absolutely clean up in any area of the country.

I wish that Stacey Solomon ‘Renovation Rescue’ program was half focused on naming and shaming and suing the people who left them in the lurch in the first place. It’s just far too easy to get away with poor work and frankly criminal behaviour.

Thank you so much for the kind words on here which helped me calm down a lot. (The swim shoes were £6 and I wore the £15 dress to a job interview this morning!) I'm back in the habit of writing down on a spreadsheet every single outgoing, and categorising it,. Half of the panic was not doing that, I think.

@Silverback I'm so sorry to hear of what happened. If the guy quoted and has gone massively over this, as others say, you have some legal recourse. Martin Moneysaving chappy's forums are so good for things like this. At the risk of sounding flippant, being a few thousand in debt is really not a lot compared to the average person's debts nowadays - can you look at sorting a payment plan to make yourselves feel back in control?

• Heart
Reactions: 6