Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it! #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Welcome to our second thread! This thread has been merged with the low/no spend thread so there’s a huge community of us now.

The premise is to be mindful and intentional with our spending, particularly discretionary spending!

Reactions: 13
Bought 3 sweaters on Next on Friday, they arrived yesterday. All 3 will be going back because they are too expensive for what they are!! Honestly, the price of them and the quality was middlin, if I'm spending €40 on something I expect the quality to reflect it.

Reactions: 18
@Grizzlybear you asked on the last thread what moisturiser id found was good - it’s the first aid beauty one, it’s really good!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
On the lovely note of using the good things, not waiting for a ‘special occasion’. I sadly lost both of my wonderful Grandmothers over the last few years.

One had used every lovely tablecloth or set of napkins or fancy throw and happily shoved them in a chest when they’d been partied out or stained. One kept everything untouched.

I know which one enjoyed her life more fully (for many reasons). I think if we can encourage ourselves to live with joy and meaning with the things we already have, or well within our means and leave happy memories and well-worn best tablecloths - we’ll have gotten the most out of life. 🤍

• Heart
Reactions: 47
On the theme of “use the good stuff” - this morning I started a new £10 bar of soap (only 21 bars to go…) for the shower. What on God’s green earth possessed me to spend £10 on a bar of soap? Will I be cleaner than with the 75p one? 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
On the lovely note of using the good things, not waiting for a ‘special occasion’. I sadly lost both of my wonderful Grandmothers over the last few years.

One had used every lovely tablecloth or set of napkins or fancy throw and happily shoved them in a chest when they’d been partied out or stained. One kept everything untouched.

I know which one enjoyed her life more fully (for many reasons). I think if we can encourage ourselves to live with joy and meaning with the things we already have, or well within our means and leave happy memories and well-worn best tablecloths - we’ll have gotten the most out of life. 🤍
Love this ❤ sorry for your loss

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just a little PSA that mortgage rates are coming down, even if you’re fixed on a remortgage if the term hasn’t yet started your broker can transfer you to the better rate :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
have been looking for a convertible tote to backpack for a while and was reminded by the trapped nerve in my neck flaring whenever i wear my current bag on my shoulder so definitely a need

saw a lovely one from olend, but with delivery from spain would be £105 and it still wasn't perfect - no crossbody strap or luggage band, and although the tote was the right size the backpack straps looked too centered for the weight to be evenly distributed. i was justifying the price as i'm due a few refunds that total £90 ish so the bag itself would 'only' be 15 (lol)

did a bit more research and found a travelon one that has more than i thought i needed - not as big but with crossbody and luggage strap, and a lockable zip and RFID block too. if i use some amazon vouchers it works out around half the price of the other bag. literally the only downside is it's not as nice looking, but i'd rather it be more secure and the £40 'saved' from refunds can go straight into my savings instead!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Saw this and thought of this thread 😂

it’s so damn true though
IMG_7517.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I wasn't feeling good today, I treated myself to a burger after work. Afterwards I stopped by three bookshops, I almost bought a few books that I didn't feel strongly about, because there was a 3 for 2 sale going on. I reconsidered for a few minutes and put them back and walked out 🙏 Nothing added to my to-read shelf, and no regrets about the burger either, as I've been packing my lunch and eating at home consistently. It was needed today and I enjoyed it 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Small achievement but I’m pleased that I got to payday with over £100 left in the account- and that’s with a super long payday month, Christmas expenditure and an expensive meal out too. Looking forward to seeing how well I can do next month.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
For those with poor sight…. where do you get your contact lenses from?

I’ve always been on the boots scheme but monthly payments are going up, and since I signed up over 10 years ago I’m sure there are better deals to be had if I’m clever with saving my money for check ups and glasses (which they probably inflate the prices of anyway, to compensate the 50% off)

Long term I’m looking into laser eye, but that’s a whole other thing!

So yeah, if anyone has any contact lens recommendations, would be appreciative if you send them my way as I’ve no idea where to start!

Reactions: 1
For those with poor sight…. where do you get your contact lenses from?

I’ve always been on the boots scheme but monthly payments are going up, and since I signed up over 10 years ago I’m sure there are better deals to be had if I’m clever with saving my money for check ups and glasses (which they probably inflate the prices of anyway, to compensate the 50% off)

Long term I’m looking into laser eye, but that’s a whole other thing!

So yeah, if anyone has any contact lens recommendations, would be appreciative if you send them my way as I’ve no idea where to start!
I used Asda for years as a cheaper store option. Switched to lenstore for my lenses (who were cheaper) when Asda made a mistake that cost me money. Haven’t used them since covid though (had just made a massive order and now I’m a home worker/occasional lense wearer)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Love this ❤ sorry for your loss
Thank you. It’s certainly taught me to enjoy things and make the most of what you have.

I was terrified of my self assessment tax bill that I submitted earlier this week. I’d been putting it off as I had gotten so confused and muddled while working really hard and not fully grasping how it all works.

I was in full on panic when I submitted on Monday. My partner helped go through it with me and instead of owing more than I thought I could afford, I actually overpaid through payments on account last year so they owe ME money.

I am going to finally conquer my fear and (possibly wilful?!) misunderstanding of all this and get to grips with it. I think partly I have an internal narrative that being ‘afraid’ keeps me safe from going broke. This isn’t true, it just makes me feel poor and miserable and guilty even when I don’t need to.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
@Grizzlybear you asked on the last thread what moisturiser id found was good - it’s the first aid beauty one, it’s really good!
Thank you! Actually I was looking at that one, my skin seems sick of my regular moisturiser. Managed to get a kit on LF for a good price to try. I needed toner pads and another cleanser anyway and this is 1/4 the price of replacing my cleanser and moisturiser. I’m on the tret too so trying to find what works as I acclimatise to it ❤

Reactions: 2
I have looked and closed so many holiday tabs and other absolutely unnecessary bits 🙈 booked cheap tickets to see a movie though.

I did buy a couple of household items today in Asda unplanned but needed. And resisted buying a ton of tat for Valentine’s Day - not that we really celebrate it anyway - but I’m going to buy sweets/chocolate as a low cost gesture that gets eaten and doesn’t take up space in my house 🙈

Not a no spend but a low spend today.

Reactions: 7
Other half suggested a weekend away for our anniversary. Talked him round and he’s agreed…instead we are going to spend the weekend doing much needed DIY. Will probably cost more than a weekend away but we can enjoy the fruits of our labour for longer!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’m glad we are talking about trips away actually. I’ve booked a trip to Paris for August and it’s gnawing away at me. Every year I kick myself that I haven’t gone anywhere but there is a reason we don’t- it’s so bleeping expensive these days! 4 nights in Paris at a half decent hotel plus Eurostar and eating out etc is going to come to over 2 grand for us and the kids. Is it worth it? Is it only worth booking a trip if you can comfortably afford it without scrimping for it? I don’t know. Answers on a postcard please.

Reactions: 12
I’m glad we are talking about trips away actually. I’ve booked a trip to Paris for August and it’s gnawing away at me. Every year I kick myself that I haven’t gone anywhere but there is a reason we don’t- it’s so bleeping expensive these days! 4 nights in Paris at a half decent hotel plus Eurostar and eating out etc is going to come to over 2 grand for us and the kids. Is it worth it? Is it only worth booking a trip if you can comfortably afford it without scrimping for it? I don’t know. Answers on a postcard please.
It’s SO expensive to go anywhere. Even small U.K. based getaways are in the multihundreds most of the time. It will be worth it, you will make loads of memories and I think you always forget how much a change of scene refreshes you.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Is it only worth booking a trip if you can comfortably afford it without scrimping for it?
This subject reminds me me of this clip I saw (on tiktok) of post war era children speaking about pocket money - you know how they all talk other worldly like “well I rather” etc. But what struck me was just how anti consumerism/spending they were? Like they were appalled at the idea of a little girl spending 8 shillings on sweeties, stunned that one kid got £1 pocket money and only saved ten shillings of it, any kid receiving pocket money mentioned premium bonds, idk it just stunned me what a shift in mindset we/even children have had over the past however many years. The only relevance of these ramblings to your post is that I personally wouldn’t prioritise travel over other items on my to do list or financial security/comfort, I think this is a super new phenomenon tbh, but also acknowledge we all need to find joy in our life too! There’s a balance to be struck.

• Heart
Reactions: 24