Diverticulitis - need help dealing with a flare up

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was diagnosed a couple of years ago after me seeing a doctor after discovering blood after a good crap.

I've had a few flare ups since and lasts about 3 days. Today is day 3 of my latest flare up and I really could
do with some advice on how to deal with this issue. The internet has helped but I've come across some
conflicting information.

I did get some useful information from a thread on this forum but I decided to start a thread.

Any tips on preventing a flare up would also be useful.

My mother in law suffers with this - have you tried a low-FODMAP diet? It's the only thing that works for her!
Also stress really doesn't help - I know it's not always easy but try looking into some methods of lowering stress if you do experience it.

Reactions: 1
My mother in law suffers with this - have you tried a low-FODMAP diet? It's the only thing that works for her!
Also stress really doesn't help - I know it's not always easy but try looking into some methods of lowering stress if you do experience it.
AH, now that is useful, it's given me a list of possible foods, thank you.

Thankfully I don't suffer from stress but it's good to know stress is related to the condition.

My mum suffers with this and had a bad flare up a month or so ago and was admitted to hospital for the night. Turns out she needed antibiotics for this particular flare up as it was infected. Might be worth giving your gp a call?

My mum suffers with this and had a bad flare up a month or so ago and was admitted to hospital for the night. Turns out she needed antibiotics for this particular flare up as it was infected. Might be worth giving your gp a call?
According to NHS advice I don't need to call my GP at this stage, my condition lasts about 3 days and isn't as severe as your Mother's.
If this becomes more frequent or more serious then I might call up, it's a life long condition so I still have to work out a few things to
ease the condition.

Stress is a huge factor and so are seeds in tomatoes. 🤔
Any kind of seeds are nasty, I eat loads of grapes thankfully seedless and I do avoid fresh tomatoes.

You could research a carnivore diet. Each to their own of course but it did wonders for my Mother’s Crohns. I’d suggest reading The Carnivore Diet by Shawn Baker if you felt inclined. I hope you feel better soon.

All better now, I don't know how or why, perhaps it was the water I drank on Friday or the vast amounts of Tea I drank.

I'm thinking that to prevent another flare up is to up my fluid intake, I'm going to start drinking a few glasses of water
every night when I get home from work and perhaps a litre or two at weekends.