Disney - planning, preparation, tips, tricks and advice.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve found my place on the internet. I’ve been 5 times - 4 as an adult that I’ve booked and paid for myself. Planning peoples Disney holidays makes me so excited. Such a nerd.

As an adult I’ve always stayed on Disney property taking advantage of the free dining plan (whether that’s coming out for next year we are yet to find out!) its really handy when it’s free but takes some maths to see if it’s worth it for you when paying it. We did stay in a villa when I was like 8 but my only memory is the pool (and the classic first step family holiday fights) so I can’t be much help there 😂

Last year we did 2 weeks at Coronado springs and 4 days at hard rock at universal. Staying at hard rock gives you free express passes which are a life saver. We didn’t queue more than 10 mins for anything with the passes. It’s also waking Distance to the parks or a free boat. Also stayed at old key west which is my number one - it was really affordable for a few years but now it seems to be stupid money.

Flights wise I always book separate. We got it for £480 each last year going Manchester - Heathrow- Gatwick - Orlando (the London airports could be the other way round who knows). It was a bit of a ball ache but saved a good chunk as now TC don’t exist direct from Manchester is hella pricey.

Tomorrow I can try and find pricing emails for you 3nidc0leslaw to give you an idea. We booked with ATD. They were the same price as Disney but offered $400 spending money instead of Disney’s $200 which was a bonus.

I’m too much of a chicken to drive over there but Uber and Lyft are great. Disney transport is great so if you’re on property no need for a car imo.

If you’re looking to do Discovery Cove keep an eye out for their blue Friday sale (Black Friday) it really really cut our cost down.

Reactions: 1
To anyone whose been to Disney World Florida for about 2 weeks - how much did you save/pay to go ?
depends if staying in a villa on home away or air bnb with a group I can pay around £1200 for flights tickets and villa.

on Disney property I’ve paid £3000 for moderate hotel flights and tickets with free dining

I always take about $2000 spending money For 2 weeks just so I can do whatever and not feel restricted.

• Heart
So pleased someone has set up this thread! We go every year so if anyone wants to ask anything feel free!!

We aren’t going this year... booked to go to LA in August. Had to move that but only able to push back to October thus far 😔

Currently waiting on the free DDP offer so we can book to go back next year for the 50th... it’s my birthday on the 1st October so it’s an absolute MUST to be there that day! 🤷🏻‍♀️ (Yes we know the crowds will be awful but we’ve done Christmas, New Years and Summer holidays so are ready for the queues!!!! 😉)

We are planning on going end of April/beginning of May my best friend is 30 in February and I’m 30 22nd May, we’ve been talking about going since we were 14 so really excited!!

• Heart
Thank you!! Would you recommend a Disney dining plan??
We had the quick service dining plan as part of the free dining package last year. It’s the first time we have had any sort of plan.

Whilst I don’t necessarily think we saved a huge amount of money (except than plan was free but the room rate was higher - that’s another discussion) - it did mean that we didn’t worry about trying another snack, or really having to over think our budget.

If you join up to the Dibb, there’s a whole thread on reports including dining reports and there are lots of examples of people having no dining plan, the quick service and the full plan.

A lot of people believe that you just eat burgers on the quick service dining plan, but that’s a complete myth... we had pizza, rib eye steak, salmon, roast chicken, brisket, ribs, nuggets, honey chicken and rice, as well as burgers but that was our choice.

We would like to try the full dining plan next time we go, but just remember your gratuity (mostly) isn’t covered so you would have to budget for this separately.

The fact that alcoholic drinks are included in the plans mean it can be really great value for money if you take advantage of those drinks too.

No we can’t book it yet :( wish we could but nothing available yet! And we probably want to do everything! Including a day at universal. We have been looking at the all star resorts as they seem the cheapest Disney hotels
If you are going to do time at Universal then it would be worth pricing up a night in one of their hotels so you can take advantage of the early entrance and their version of fast passes.

Ive not stayed at the All Star resorts but there are a few things to consider... if you want the dining plan it’s sometimes cheaper to upgrade your resort and get the free plan than pay for the dining. These resorts will have lots of kids staying and sometimes large sporting groups like cheerleaders etc - might not be an issue to you... consider paying for a preferred room since these resorts are big you run the risk of your room being 5-10 minute walk from reception or the food court whereas paying for preferred means you would be closer to everything. I’ve seen from YouTube videos that these resorts have a lot of choice when it comes to quick service meals so if you plan to eat at the hotel a few times it would be a good choice.Perhaps check out Tim Tracker who has walked around lots of the resorts so you can get a feel for them..

To anyone whose been to Disney World Florida for about 2 weeks - how much did you save/pay to go ?
Last year we did virgin flights, virgin lounge, 10 nights at Disney with quick service dining plan, $200 Disney gift card, tickets to Disney parks, 7 night Caribbean cruise for £5200 for 2 adults - this didn’t include any spending money.

Last edited:
We had the quick service dining plan as part of the free dining package last year. It’s the first time we have had any sort of plan.

Whilst I don’t necessarily think we saved a huge amount of money (except than plan was free but the room rate was higher - that’s another discussion) - it did mean that we didn’t worry about trying another snack, or really having to over think our budget.

If you join up to the Dibb, there’s a whole thread on reports including dining reports and there are lots of examples of people having no dining plan, the quick service and the full plan.

A lot of people believe that you just eat burgers on the quick service dining plan, but that’s a complete myth... we had pizza, rib eye steak, salmon, roast chicken, brisket, ribs, nuggets, honey chicken and rice, as well as burgers but that was our choice.

We would like to try the full dining plan next time we go, but just remember your gratuity (mostly) isn’t covered so you would have to budget for this separately.

The fact that alcoholic drinks are included in the plans mean it can be really great value for money if you take advantage of those drinks too.

If you are going to do time at Universal then it would be worth pricing up a night in one of their hotels so you can take advantage of the early entrance and their version of fast passes.

Ive not stayed at the All Star resorts but there are a few things to consider... if you want the dining plan it’s sometimes cheaper to upgrade your resort and get the free plan than pay for the dining. These resorts will have lots of kids staying and sometimes large sporting groups like cheerleaders etc - might not be an issue to you... consider paying for a preferred room since these resorts are big you run the risk of your room being 5-10 minute walk from reception or the food court whereas paying for preferred means you would be closer to everything. I’ve seen from YouTube videos that these resorts have a lot of choice when it comes to quick service meals so if you plan to eat at the hotel a few times it would be a good choice.Perhaps check out Tim Tracker who has walked around lots of the resorts so you can get a feel for them..

Last year we did virgin flights, virgin lounge, 10 nights at Disney with quick service dining plan, $200 Disney gift card, tickets to Disney parks, 7 night Caribbean cruise for £5200 for 2 adults - this didn’t include any spending money.
Wow thanks so much, you know your stuff girl!!

• Heart
I loved Port Orleans French Quarter. One this I would say IS... the theming is amazing but it’s not quintessentially Disney. We did AKL in 2018 and French Quarter last year and at first I was so disappointed when we checked in and got to our rooms. However, I grew to love it. It is so small which is amazing. It took us 10 mins to grab coffees in the morning and take them back to our rooms whereas AKL would be at least 20 mins. It’s so close to all the parks. I think Port Orleans is more of an adult resort. The food is great too. It’s a very picturesque resort whereas AKL has the wow factor inside and apart from the animals I wouldn’t call it picturesque as such.

I would DEFFO recommend the dining plan. The choice is amazing and I think it gives you the opportunities to try places you wouldn’t necessarily go to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We stayed at port Orleans riverside in September and my mum and dad stayed in french quarter their room was definitely not theme but it was beautiful. We didn’t have a royal room at riverside but stayed in the magnolia bend mansions and it was amazing. Little hints to the princess and the frog. Riverside is a lot bigger than french quarter but doesn’t feel massive also having the boat to Disney springs is fab. Highly recommend port Orleans! We also got engaged in September at be our guest restaurant and their was a photo pass photographer outside who did us a mini engagement shoot. So if your celebrating anything when you go get a button from guest services and just let your servers or photopass know and they might be able to do something special.
F7396BF1-9391-456B-A1C0-68000EE180A0.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We stayed at port Orleans riverside in September and my mum and dad stayed in french quarter their room was definitely not theme but it was beautiful. We didn’t have a royal room at riverside but stayed in the magnolia bend mansions and it was amazing. Little hints to the princess and the frog. Riverside is a lot bigger than french quarter but doesn’t feel massive also having the boat to Disney springs is fab. Highly recommend port Orleans! We also got engaged in September at be our guest restaurant and their was a photo pass photographer outside who did us a mini engagement shoot. So if your celebrating anything when you go get a button from guest services and just let your servers or photopass know and they might be able to do something special. View attachment 136358
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwa!!!! My now husband proposed outside the castle. We were having our photo taken and he got down on one knee !

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Wow thanks so much, you know your stuff girl!!
I just love all the planning and to me I get so much value from the holiday as I love to plan, research and read about everything - that’s what I tell my oh anyway - it justifies the cost 🤣 If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Love all the love for Port Orleans! 💙

I love Disney. We used to go every year when I was younger and are planning our first one with our children next year.

I would definitely recommend a Disney hotel if it is in your budget, especially if travelling with little ones and if you plan on just doing Disney. We usually stay at the Grand Floridian and I love it although my friends and I did a spur of the moment trip at 17/18 and stay at Port Orleans as it was the only one with space and I loved it - even managed to see an alligator walking down the road when we were on the bus to the park!

I would say look at the maps of the parks - plan the rides etc that you absolutely cannot miss and the ones you’re not too fussed about.

I know It’s not Disney but I loved Gatorland and DiscoveryCove. I also loved Seaworld - but that was before all the controversy came out.

I loved getting on the boat to (what I still call) Downtown Disney. I just found something so magical about it and I loved sitting outside at Planet Hollywood and watching the hustle and bustle. I’ve never done Disney Dining but I’d say if there are any specific restaurant you want to eat at book in advance or you could have a lengthy wait or disappointment.

Some other general tips from me on the preparation for your holiday -

If you’re going to pre-book your plane seats, book them as near to the front on the left hand side as possible - this means you’ll be one of the first off the plane and therefore near the front of any immigration queue.

If you’re going to book dining reservations at Disney they open up 180 days before your trip. You’ll have to have a rough idea of which parks you want to be in. You can check busy day guides on The Dibb (free) or Touring Plans (paid for- about £25 a year) for a general plan of which park is best to visit in which day.

My general tips for autumn when we have been are - avoid food and wine festival (EPCOT) on Friday nights and weekends. Magic Kingdom tends to be quiet the morning of MNSSHP. We haven’t necessarily avoided the water parks on weekends and haven’t found them to be horrendously busy.

We tend to plan our days out by splitting them into 3... morning / lunch or afternoon / evening and try to have some down time during at least one of the slots. Down time might be time at our pool, shopping or eating out offsite - but just time away from the bubble of Disney.

First timers will quickly realise that you cannot do it all, if you try you’ll be exhausted and won’t have an enjoyable trip.

You can book fastpasses at 60 days out if you are staying on site. The headline fastpasses in each park, in my opinion are -

MK - seven dwarfs mine train, the three mountains as they are often referred to (big thunder, space mountain, splash mountain), Peter Pan

AK - Flight of passage, na’vi river journey, exhibition everest

HS - At the moment all in Star Wars land, Minnie and Mickey’s runaway railway, slinky dog (these new rides probably mean the traditionally busy ones such as tower of terror or rock and roller coaster possibly aren’t as busy)

EPCOT - Frozen, Soarin,test track

If you have kids there are probably others which are popular and you want to get, but the above are in my experience.

You want to make sure you’re logged on ready to get fastpasses at 60 days - don’t start on day 1 - start with the fastpasses you absolutely want to book the most and so on, so you might book day 3 first, then day 5, day 8 etc- you can jump around and don’t have to book in date order. Might be worth watching some YouTube videos on how to book them so you have an idea of what the system is like beforehand.

You can book 3 fastpasses at a time ahead of time. One tip would be to book them early in the day so that when you are in the park as soon as you have tapped into your third fastpass you can get onto the my Disney experience app to try and get another fastpass.

I think that might be it for planning... hope that’s useful for someone?

Have a lovely weekend all!

I’m here too we’ve got flights booked for Aug 2021, booked through Tui. Booked them when them came out (🤞 they still run). Waiting on the dining plan offer for next year, but if doesn’t come out I think we will get a villa instead.

anyone heard anything about when 2021 offers maybe out?

I think they’re holding off announcing free Disney dining until the parks are back open and travel restrictions lifted. They usually announce it in April May time so I think we might get a late announcement in September Or possibly later. Hard to tell. We’re not going to WDW until 2022 now we’re going to do a September 2021 trip but changed our mind. So loving the trip planning on here as I hate not having a trip booked!

I think they’re holding off announcing free Disney dining until the parks are back open and travel restrictions lifted. They usually announce it in April May time so I think we might get a late announcement in September Or possibly later. Hard to tell. We’re not going to WDW until 2022 now we’re going to do a September 2021 trip but changed our mind. So loving the trip planning on here as I hate not having a trip booked!
When are you planning on going in 2022?

You are amazing! Thank you!
Some other general tips from me on the preparation for your holiday -

If you’re going to pre-book your plane seats, book them as near to the front on the left hand side as possible - this means you’ll be one of the first off the plane and therefore near the front of any immigration queue.

If you’re going to book dining reservations at Disney they open up 180 days before your trip. You’ll have to have a rough idea of which parks you want to be in. You can check busy day guides on The Dibb (free) or Touring Plans (paid for- about £25 a year) for a general plan of which park is best to visit in which day.

My general tips for autumn when we have been are - avoid food and wine festival (EPCOT) on Friday nights and weekends. Magic Kingdom tends to be quiet the morning of MNSSHP. We haven’t necessarily avoided the water parks on weekends and haven’t found them to be horrendously busy.

We tend to plan our days out by splitting them into 3... morning / lunch or afternoon / evening and try to have some down time during at least one of the slots. Down time might be time at our pool, shopping or eating out offsite - but just time away from the bubble of Disney.

First timers will quickly realise that you cannot do it all, if you try you’ll be exhausted and won’t have an enjoyable trip.

You can book fastpasses at 60 days out if you are staying on site. The headline fastpasses in each park, in my opinion are -

MK - seven dwarfs mine train, the three mountains as they are often referred to (big thunder, space mountain, splash mountain), Peter Pan

AK - Flight of passage, na’vi river journey, exhibition everest

HS - At the moment all in Star Wars land, Minnie and Mickey’s runaway railway, slinky dog (these new rides probably mean the traditionally busy ones such as tower of terror or rock and roller coaster possibly aren’t as busy)

EPCOT - Frozen, Soarin,test track

If you have kids there are probably others which are popular and you want to get, but the above are in my experience.

You want to make sure you’re logged on ready to get fastpasses at 60 days - don’t start on day 1 - start with the fastpasses you absolutely want to book the most and so on, so you might book day 3 first, then day 5, day 8 etc- you can jump around and don’t have to book in date order. Might be worth watching some YouTube videos on how to book them so you have an idea of what the system is like beforehand.

You can book 3 fastpasses at a time ahead of time. One tip would be to book them early in the day so that when you are in the park as soon as you have tapped into your third fastpass you can get onto the my Disney experience app to try and get another fastpass.

I think that might be it for planning... hope that’s useful for someone?

Have a lovely weekend all!

Last edited:
  • Heart
As an adult I’ve stayed at Dolphin (as in Swan and Dolphin), Port Orleans French Quarter and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

Out of those we have been back to French Quarter a couple of times. It’s a moderate resort, the smallest Disney resort which means no 5-10 minute walk back to your room after a long day in the parks, only one lot of bus stops so your not picking and dropping off at multiple stops and also a huge bonus (for us being an adult couple) is the boat to Disney Springs.

Ive not been to pop century or art of animation, however, I think if you look for someone like Tim Tracker on YouTube or Adam Hatton they have done tours of most of the resorts which should give you an idea.

If you are hoping on free dining I believe those resorts offer free breakfast, so if you are looking to upgrade to the quick service dining plan, it’s often cheaper to just upgrade to a moderate resort rather than paying the difference...

Hope that helps? If you have any more questions, just ask!
Deffo helps! We are three young adult women but my best friend LOVES disney so anything too "cutsey" disney isn't a huge problem but I have heard amazing thing about French Quarter!

Youtube videos on disney are my current rabbit hole! We aren't booking yet (not that you can atm anyway at least I don't seem to be able to?) We were aiming for Jan 2021 booking.

Thanks for the tip about checking if moderate is cheaper that adding the DP! I never would have thought!

So I have recently (this week) discovered that next October is Disney's 50th anniversary and I was wondering does anyone know if that means prices will be hugely different? Trying to work out a saving plan!

When are you planning on going in 2022?

You are amazing! Thank you!
we’re going in a big group in 2022 with the girls I met whilst working there and their husbands some of them are teachers so we’re going august 2022. They’ll be 10 of us. We did august 2017 for one of their weddings and the crowds weren’t as bad as I thought. We’re getting a big villa and hiring a coupe of cars to get around. We made a pact that every 5 years we’d all go together.

that’s such a lovely idea!!
we’re going in a big group in 2022 with the girls I met whilst working there and their husbands some of them are teachers so we’re going august 2022. They’ll be 10 of us. We did august 2017 for one of their weddings and the crowds weren’t as bad as I thought. We’re getting a big villa and hiring a coupe of cars to get around. We made a pact that every 5 years we’d all go together.

Hey all! Popping on to ask a few Q’s myself!
my partner and I are planning 8 days on WDW in October 2022 and was wondering whether anyone would recommend a particular resort? I’ve stayed Value before (sports) and happy to do again especially as he’s such a massive sports fan. Is there any point spending the extra on a moderate? Been looking at Conorado or NOFQ and just seems like a lot next when I plan to be out and about most of the time...?

I’ve stayed in both Coronado and port Orleans riverside and would highly recommend them both! Value resorts are great too I would just say moderate are slightly less crowded and feel a bit more luxe. Completely depends on if you want to splash out or save the money for something else.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.