Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

maharini

I volunteer at a food bank. Yesterday we had 3 new clients. An elderly couple who hadn’t eaten for 4 days because a new, higher direct debit for energy had left them £90 worse off - they’re on fixed pension income and their rent goes up in October. And a frail lady in her late 70’s who has eaten nothing but tea and dry toast for 2 weeks because of the worry of her winter fuel bills and who was crying because she was so ashamed to be in the food bank. Looks like the government hopes a cold winter will finish the job that Covid started. Let’s get that pension expenditure down! I’m not a weepy person but the first couple reminded me of my grandparents - hardworking and proud - and I sobbed all the way home. But crying won’t help. What can we DO.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 53

teabob

I can still moan about the rising cost of living and have a takeaway. I’m moaning about the cost of living because this time last year I was paying £95 a month gas and electricity, I’m now paying £160 and come January this its predicted to be £320 so yes I can moan. I can moan that I used to be able to fill my car up for £45 and now it’s £60 and my car is essential for work. I can also moan because I work for the NHS in Scotland and whilst all these prices have gone up- my wages have not and whilst a pay deal was offered its been rejected by the unions. Moaning about the increasing cost of living and still having money to buy a takeaway are not mutually exclusive

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Anne1448

VIP Member
In my 30’s and have always worked hard but does make you think what is actually the point when I could be jobless, on benefits and get everything for free or swim to France get a boat back forgetting my papers and have My entire life funded for me
This comment has no place in a thread like this one.

This thread was created for many of us to share our concerns over the current cost of living expenses and not for racist people like you to insult migrants who have to flee to save their own lives.

As someone who had to flee war from a country where heads are beheaded and used as balls to play soccer I find people like you disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Blond3g1rl

VIP Member
It pisses me off when people say ‘well we coped in the 70s’. The 70s were 50 years ago!! I very much doubt in the 70s people were saying ‘we coped in 1920’.
It’s 2022, people shouldn’t be strip washing in cold water as they can’t afford to put their hot water on, or sleeping in tents in their lounge.

• Heart
Reactions: 39

Yel

Chatty Member
Someone asked on the last thread if it felt like a societal collapse of the UK. Sadly I think the UK is middle of the pack in terms of countries facing turmoil.

Record floods and droughts across the world, crop failures, mainland Europe faces running out of energy if there's a cold snap. There's just too much happening the world over to even notice a fraction of it. Things seem to have changed for good and no going back to the normal.

The UK has a ridiculous leadship debate with the two candidates people least wanted fighting for it meanwhile labour are telling people not to join a picket line and tying themselves up in knots over how to define a woman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36

Slothgang

Chatty Member
I feel like we are playing right into their hands by being like 'you shouldn't be buying a takeaway your supposed to be skint.'
I can only afford my daughters hobby (which is technically none essential but I deem essential for her enjoyment of life!) because I am in debt for everything else, putting her clothes and shoes on a catalogue etc .
That takeaway might be the one treat that is getting a working family through the week.
We shouldn't be racing each other to the bottom. We should be angry on each others behalf!

• Heart
Reactions: 35

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Whether we are down to our last five pounds or having to start cutting back, it sucks that after 2.5 years of shit times we look to be in for another shit year or two. Collectively, our mental health and actual health will be taking a massive blow. We need some good news. And everyone has the right to moan.

Edited to add:

Hard choices are having to be made, lives on hold because of affordability, people working too many hours just to cover rent and bills. This isn't about avocados and coffee. This is stagnant wages not covering the essentials and leaving people with no buffer or chance of building up a buffer. I already work full time 40 hours and my mental health would not take doing any more on top of that, just to scrape by. Many people are already doing 60+ hours and barely scraping by for their families. It's a crisis, for sure.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35

maharini

For me, there are some things I prefer not to compromise on - good hair products, nice soap, good coffee, my favourite fragrance. Other stuff, I’m happy to buy value ranges, but little treats and favourite things are important. So I’ve bought enough on sale to last me through the winter. I also have all the ingredients for my Xmas cake and other festive baking, and a turkey in the freezer, an M&S yellow sticker bargain.
I’m getting out the nice crockery and cutlery to use over the winter - even bangers & mash is a treat served on granny’s plates- and gathering sloes, damsons and blackberries to make flavoured gin for gifts while listening to festive music. The poster who reminded us of the importance of taking pleasure in small things is so right, it’s easy to get bogged down in gloom.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Folkevermore

VIP Member
Those who are in receipt of Furlough state benefits may not have cared. I remember saying to someone at the time that the smug furlough lot who were annoying her and showing off to her - would not be laughing in the long term and those who showed off to those who got none or a week like her husband who worked throughout would have to deal with resentment (because propaganda) when the consequences and bill needed paying. I said to my family recently that those requesting a pointless wage spiral will receive the same attitude.
As someone who is a public sector worker and worked throughout the pandemic it pisses me off when people who happily took furlough say we’re greedy for wanting a payrise because it’s costs taxpayer money.
they had no concerns about taxpayer money while they chilled at home getting 80% pay for nothing and I put myself at risk every day to keep the country moving

• Heart
Reactions: 34

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Just for balance and out of interest, how are you planning or hoping to keep your chin up this winter?

I'm so filled with dread about, yanno, all of the above 👆, and then there is the added pressure of Christmas and the nights drawing in, the endless gloom till spring, etc, etc... My mental health is gonna be in the shitter! 😂 (😭).

Have you got something to look forward to? A strategy for not letting it get you down?
Tips & tricks for things to cheer yourself up in the cold, in the dark, and dark in poverty gratefully received!

I'm researching hibernation 😉
I’m going to sound like an absolute gigantic cock and I’m actually embarrassed to type this out but what does genuinely help me if finding the joy in small things.

It sounds stupid and pathetic but even something as small as the wild rabbit that hops around the gardens outside my house, or that my water is lovely cold from the fridge in the morning, getting home after a long day and snuggling up in my dressing gown, a new episode of a tv show or podcast, small things like that really help me. I find that it breaks up the shit of everything else when I can find the happiness in something small cause you’ll always have small things. For example, the thing that gets me through the thought of Monday is knowing that my favourite podcast releases its new episode so I know Monday morning I’ll get to the office, put my headphones on and listen to it and I’ll enjoy it.

Also knowing it’ll pass, it’s shit at the time but I just think “well in 6 months I’ll be bitching about the heat and the bright nights so might as well enjoy it”.

ETA: That’s actually what got me through the heat this time tbh. The thought of making the most of it because in a few months it’ll be dark and cold and I’ll be longing to go on my weekend walks without freezing my ass off

It’s not great but it does help me

• Heart
Reactions: 31

pixxyy

VIP Member
Least the anger shows he actually cares, much prefer his responses to the ones who think 'well i'll be ok so who cares about the rest'

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
The pay rise will cause a pointless wage spiral - it's just drama lama anxiety inducing, sharp elbowed people causing bad feelings - on top of an already terrible situation, you simply can't keep up with and chase inflation in this situation.
What do people do if theyre on a shit wage and can barely pay their bills? Some public sector wages have been stagnant for years and years. Im talking 10 years of 1% pay rises. People are finding their wage the same give or take and bills say 1/3 more.

Okay they leave and get a better paid job, who then does the shit paying jobs?

I work in the public sector and some of the job roles are like a revolving door. The expectation and responsibility for a crap wage is a joke. The only people who then suffer are the public as staff arent experienced, dont know what theyre doing, understaffed as they take so long to actually recruit people they tell 60 people theyve got the job, fast forward 12 weeks and only 15 appear because its taken so long to even get them into a seat.

My partner is on a decent wage in the NHS (in the 8 bandings) they have been offered 5% pay rise across the board. 5% for them is a great amount. 5% for the lowest paid is pitiful and its for them my partner has voted for strike action. Theyre preparing the ballots now. My partner would rather get a smaller percentage and they taper it down.

I dont know what the answer is but people are fighting against the tide here and they are drowning :(

Reactions: 27

Glitz

Just because they are moaning about the cost of living doesn't mean they can't afford anything that they buy. Most people seem to be moaning about the cost of energy bills now cos the predicted increases are ridiculous.
Exactly this! Can I afford to pay £500 a month for my energy bills? Probably. I just need cut back to just the bare essentials. Am I going to moan about it? Absofuckinglutely.

It's 2022, not the Victorian times. I work hard, pay tax, etc, like the rest of us. Should we really have to just exist? I don't think so. This is the fifth richest country in the world, there is plenty of money about, the 1% just don't give a shit.

If we can't treat ourselves after working 40 hours a week we might as well go onto benefits.

I moan a lot about the cost of living and I am really struggling but then I also spend money on things that some people would deem none essential. I spend about £70 a month on my daughters hobby which she LOVES going to and waits all week for. Ide rather go into debt then take that away from her but I know some people would find that really irresponsible. But you do only live once..
You have to live! Hobbies are so important for children. You are doing the right thing.

Are these energy bills expected to last forever or just this winter and next year? I can’t wrap my head around people saying the government need to give extra people cash to help , well they can’t do that forever or the country will literally bankrupt itself …we’re nearly there now I imagine….. more than cash needs to happen ….apologies for my ignorance but I just can’t get it !!!! And why more isn’t being done ….and why civil unrest isn’t breaking out …. It’s like we are just happy to accept it 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
We really need to take action like they did with the poll tax. Other countries aren't going through this! It's a UK problem. A Tory problem. Higher taxes than ever before and no help.

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I do think we have become more materialistic as a society however I think a lot of that materialism creates our jobs! More shops, more demand, more factories. We are kind of trapped into materialism in that way. So when we can’t afford to buy buy buy as a whole, businesses go bust. The whole thing is built upon our ability to spend disposable income (and ease of using credit also). Material items aside, we still need something to happen, beause those Jan estimates are going to mean people can’t afford montly rent and bills, let alone feed themselves. What are we going to do if households on every street suddenly an’t pay the bills?

Yel

Chatty Member
There were already such huge structural problems before covid or the energy crisis. In a way we're luckier than some in the UK as it's "only" a cost crisis rather than both a cost and a supply crisis that many countries in Europe have. I wish Rishi or the 19 whatever commitee would end the race today and the support packages would be announced.

The coverage today and all the talk of families makes me feel 😞 , I detest this focus on families. Everyone struggling needs help! You're already way more likely to fall through the cracks if you're childless! It seems to be the media, energy companies, support groups, labour and lib dem spokespersons all saying it today. :poop:

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I'll never forget the shock in my first proper job being told I had to buy everyone a cream cake on MY birthday 😆. It never made any sense to me and learned to keep quiet or book the day off 😂.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Onthehop

VIP Member
Our gas/electricity fix comes to an end this month. We’ve been paying £189. Scottish Power are offering a fix for £795!

• Wow
Reactions: 25