Discontent #10 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know which Midlands you are referring to but the Irish Midlands can be unsafe for a woman due to the emptiness.

Counties such as Offaly or Longford have such a low population density that you can be by yourself for days. Drug related violence are quite high as well.
Sorry - my English centric response was referencing the area around Birmingham. I didn't realise that Ireland had a Midlands too. So I've learnt something today.

Apologies for my previous post which is now completely irrelevant 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I wonder if the strikes will continue like this come January?

The real change needed is a long term roadmap to fix the structural problems that have built up for decades. But with the government just in power for about 2 years they're in no position, they'll want to carry on kicking it down the road for the next government to deal with.

View attachment 1791175
Some bus drivers were suppose to be on strike in London today, it was called off because
the 11percent pay offer was taken.

Reactions: 2
As someone very poor and balancing bills, I want to buy an oscillating heater as the central heating isn't working properly and I am finding it very cold and we're supposed to have an Arctic dip (so to speak) soon.

Am I just being a pussy? Should I just break out the hot water bottle instead? Not much Irish or stoic in me :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
As someone very poor and balancing bills, I want to buy an oscillating heater as the central heating isn't working properly and I am finding it very cold and we're supposed to have an Arctic dip (so to speak) soon.

Am I just being a pussy? Should I just break out the hot water bottle instead? Not much Irish or stoic in me :)
I haven’t looked back since I bought us hot water bottles 😂 We’ve had snow all day and I was instantly warm with mine when I came up to bed.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I haven’t looked back since I bought us hot water bottles 😂 We’ve had snow all day and I was instantly warm with mine when I came up to bed.
In the time interim since I posted I have gone ahead and bought the oscillating heater! Welcome, to a week of poverty.

Glad hot water bottles did it for you, and respect for the people who are impervious to the cold 🥶

Reactions: 4

Do what is best for you. You're not being a pussy, being cold is a hard thing to deal with.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

I've had one of them heaters. It bust in no time. Get yourself something like a hooded Sherpa fleece blanket or an Oodie which is thicker. I have got the former and a heated throw which I haven't tried yet.
I can cope with the cold in the hooded blanket and only turn my heating on for an hour a day if it drops to 10 degrees.
I have this one in grey and you can get it on Amazon too.

Reactions: 1
Our latest energy bill was $266 which is about $159. That includes water, gas and heat. I am not sure how that compares to British bills? We get billed monthly here and our fees often make up more of the bill than usage 😡.
November was pretty chilly (lots of -20 days, at some point -40 with windchill) so I imagine the next bill will be more pricy. I keep our heat at 18 during the day, it doesn't always run, only when the internal temp dips. Husband likes it at 19 or 20 so when he's home the temp goes up. 😄

• Wow
Our latest energy bill was $266 which is about $159. That includes water, gas and heat. I am not sure how that compares to British bills? We get billed monthly here and our fees often make up more of the bill than usage 😡.
November was pretty chilly (lots of -20 days, at some point -40 with windchill) so I imagine the next bill will be more pricy. I keep our heat at 18 during the day, it doesn't always run, only when the internal temp dips. Husband likes it at 19 or 20 so when he's home the temp goes up. 😄
Where are you if you don’t mind me asking? Assuming the second dollar sign is a typo and you meant £150 all in for gas, electric, and water?

It’s hard to compare full stop as it depends on house size and family composition (and obvs usage), daily standing charges vary regionally and water charges significantly so - but £150 all in sounds like a bargain with heating on all day. In the before times our peak winter bills would be £150 for gas and electric for an 3 bed and I’d have heating on all day. Now we’re not in that house anymore but £150 is just shy of our electric bill.

Reactions: 3

Yel

I can't see how people can afford to continually strike.
Purely anecdotal from overhearing three rail workers the other night. But they were saying they have done so many extra shifts recently that they definitely want to strike if only to get down their days. One was saying she's not seen her children in the last week and other was saying they need to strike else it'll affect their benefits.

I wonder if when the recession progresses if the staff shortages will reduce? Hospitality are saying 1/3rd less bookings than they expected.

Purely anecdotal from overhearing three rail workers the other night. But they were saying they have done so many extra shifts recently that they definitely want to strike if only to get down their days. One was saying she's not seen her children in the last week and other was saying they need to strike else it'll affect their benefits.

I wonder if when the recession progresses if the staff shortages will reduce? Hospitality are saying 1/3rd less bookings than they expected.
My husband was on the train yesterday and was listening to a conversation between two ticket collectors. One is a union member and one wasn’t. The one who is the union member is being forced to strike by the union even though he doesn’t want to and would rather work, he also doesn’t think the striking is helping anyone’s cause.

My husband was on the train yesterday and was listening to a conversation between two ticket collectors. One is a union member and one wasn’t. The one who is the union member is being forced to strike by the union even though he doesn’t want to and would rather work, he also doesn’t think the striking is helping anyone’s cause.
Striking is optional, if he still goes into work he still gets paid (from a railway worker who doesn’t strike because it’ll just give me more work to do the next day as it’s project work)

Reactions: 7
Striking is never mandatory

Also, striking is usually the only way for workers to fight for their rights. Workers wouldn't have to strike if they were treated respectfully and paid accordingly.

It is so important to keep in mind that most of our basic rights as workers were gained by striking. None of us want to go back to working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week in hazardous conditions for peanuts.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Might not be a typo, tattle is registered in the US I think.
The first sentence says “Our latest energy bill was $266 which is about $159” hence believing it’s a typo, although the conversion is far too generous to be USD to GBP so either it’s not using current rates or is a non US dollar? 🤷🏻‍♀️

The first sentence says “Our latest energy bill was $266 which is about $159” hence believing it’s a typo, although the conversion is far too generous to be USD to GBP so either it’s not using current rates or is a non US dollar? 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think they may be Canadian as they've said temps are -20 -40 so probably Canadian $ to usd

• Heart
Striking is optional, if he still goes into work he still gets paid (from a railway worker who doesn’t strike because it’ll just give me more work to do the next day as it’s project work)
I’m just commenting on what my husband said he heard. Maybe this worker feels like he can’t strike due to solidarity.

They'll be no end if the unions won't compromise. Just shows how ridiculous this all is.

Regards not being forced to strike unions take a very dim view on those who don't and in some cases effectively force them out of the union. I know someone this happened to and we're not talking about the 60s/70s but rather the 2000s.

Sorry editing was all over the place!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
They'll be no end if the unions won't compromise. Just shows how ridiculous this all is.

Regards not being forced to strike unions take a very dim view on those who don't and in some cases effectively force them out of the union. I know someone this happened to and we're not talking about the 60s/70s but rather the 2000s.

Sorry editing was all over the place!
it’s not that the unions aren’t willing to compromise, it’s more that staff don’t want to give up every right they have and any job security for a 4% pay rise.

As a railway worker who doesn’t strike, I’ve never been forced out of a union and I’m not even sure if they notice that I work.

Reactions: 9
People say move up North as if that's a magic fix anyway and it isn't. I live in the arse end of nowhere, like really nowhere and rent now for a detached property is now a minimum realistically of £1200 per month regardless of size. God only knows what it is nearer town. A few years ago it was more like £650 and people aren't earning more, just spending more so where are you supposed to make the difference? The North isn't this bargain zone people seem to think it is. Plus you pay different prices for living here, i.e. it's always freezing and your miles from anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.